• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Natural Attacks - UPDATE!!!

i_sheol

First Post
Well, look at it this way...a PC with more than one attack - say for example a 10th level fighter who has two attacks at +10/+5. His first gets a +10...the second a +5. In the case of a monster with a 2 claws +10, bite +5 routine, why does its two primary attacks (claws) with the same modifier of +10? It seems to me that both those claws are like one attack since they both have the same mod. of +10. If the second claw was truly NOT part of the primary SINGLE attack, then what justifies BOTH claws getting +10?

Just a thought.

:D

Bauglir

First Post
Think of a 10th level ranger wielding 2 weapons.

He attacks with +8/+8/+3

If the second weapon was truly NOT part of the primary SINGLE attack, then what justifies BOTH weapons getting +8?

:)

Monsters use a similar mechanic for their multi-attack to two-weapon fighting, so you'll see similar patterns in the numbers.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Re: Re: Monster Natural Attacks - UPDATE!!!

Every CS answer I've ever seen has been clearly wrong, contradicting the rules as written. Can anyone show me a counterexample? Something they got right, or that can at least be supported by the books? Please?

Albert_Fish

First Post
Well guys, i hope i am understadning Sheol's post and then everyone elses as well.

Sheol got an answer that says a monster may amke its primary attack with however many limbs it has listed (ie An owlbear has a Claw/ Claw, Bite routine. I thinkit is +7/+7, +2.

Notice how the claw attacks come prior to the comma. This means they are one attack and should always be treated as such.

To limit the power of this ( which is not every powerful, most natural weapon using monsters not be able to take decent feats or use magical items) say both attacks must be directed towards one opponent.

pounce is generally left only to those animals who also use their Rear Claws (Felines in most cases) when attacking.
I dare you to stick your hand in a cat fight, you will see how Pounce works. They use every attack as quick as lightning to rip your damn fool hand off.

We have been reading the rule as such for a long while. if the two claw attacks were Iterative attacks then they would be listed as such.

The Fixed Damage question baffles me. Why couldnt a dragon concentrate its bonuses into some other attack? perhaps this is what a feat could be used for or perhaps it should be a reflection of the monster's intelligence/wisdom.

i_sheol

First Post
Well, as I said. I sent off the questions to Sage Advice. IMO that will put an end to the debate.

I can understand the 'fixed attacks', the rules support that on page 7. But the third paragraph under Attacks suggests that only a SINGLE attack is made outside a full attack. Two primary claws are indeed two attacks.

I don't know. I did resend the questio back to WotC reworded to double check.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Monster Natural Attacks - UPDATE!!!

Everyone makes mistakes, including customer support.

Read "especially".

I don't know. I did resend the questio back to WotC reworded to double check.

Heh. We've had Customer Service return two contradictory answers to the same question on the same day before... signed by the same person!

To limit the power of this ( which is not very powerful, most natural weapon using monsters not be able to take decent feats or use magical items)...

I think you need to meet my Girallons as well...

And my Carrion Crawlers.

-Hyp.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Albert_Fish said:

Notice how the claw attacks come prior to the comma. This means they are one attack and should always be treated as such.
Um... sure. There are two attack rolls, two damage rolls, two separate chances to use special maneuvers (like disarm attempts or grapple checks). Of course it's only one attack :rolleyes:

Remove ads