• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Monster preview thread!

Stalker0

Legend
I don’t know if there are statistics for how common bludgeoning weapons are, but I know no one in my group has one! I would think with the popularity of swords, double damage would be less common than you seem to think
Pick up a stick! Improvised weapon sure so I lose my +2 proficiency bonus to hit. But at double my damage against such a crazy low AC, heck yeah I'll sacrifice a little bit of attack bonus.

Pick up a stick! Improvised weapon sure so I lose my +2 proficiency bonus to hit. But at double my damage against such a crazy low AC, heck yeah I'll sacrifice a little bit of attack bonus.
That assumes there is an improvised weapon available. Then I need to lose an action to switch weapons, just to get 2d4 damage. I would rather whack it with my 2d6 greatsword

edit: To be clear, I don’t understand why the horde is resistant to bludgeoning either. I just don’t think it’s such a big advantage as you seem to make it.

Stalker0

Legend
That assumes there is an improvised weapon available. Then I need to lose an action to switch weapons, just to get 2d4 damage. I would rather whack it with my 2d6 greatsword

edit: To be clear, I don’t understand why the horde is resistant to bludgeoning either. I just don’t think it’s such a big advantage as you seem to make it.
Switching a weapon I believe is generally covered under the "use an action" clause, so you can often do that as part of an action. But that said I could see a DM requiring an action.

But note that the improvised weapons section generally allows you to use the weapon damage, unless the object is wholly incompatible (such as using an arrow for a melee weapon). But grabbing a big stick and using it as a club seems well within bounds.

So a greatclub does 1d8 + 3 (assuming the usual 16 in main stat that is very common at low levels).... or 2d8 +6 with vulnerability (avg 15). Compared to the average 2d6 + 3 = 10....so about 50% more total damage.

Switching a weapon I believe is generally covered under the "use an action" clause, so you can often do that as part of an action. But that said I could see a DM requiring an action.

But note that the improvised weapons section generally allows you to use the weapon damage, unless the object is wholly incompatible (such as using an arrow for a melee weapon). But grabbing a big stick and using it as a club seems well within bounds.

So a greatclub does 1d8 + 3 (assuming the usual 16 in main stat that is very common at low levels).... or 2d8 +6 with vulnerability (avg 15). Compared to the average 2d6 + 3 = 10....so about 50% more total damage.
Yep, my DM would never adjudicate it that way. A stick, if there is one, is not a club - let alone a great club. That is to far if a stretch for our group. I do remember once some one did something like this and the DM rules the log/stick broke after contact. I just think you assume to much.

Remove ads