• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster vault: I has it

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Picked up my copy, as soon as the FLGS had them on shelves -

I really like the adventure Cairn of the Winter King that came with the book, If you have a chance to play it, don't read it. If your running a game near level 4 then see if you can slip it in.

Lots of opportunity for RP, the first skill challenge is very cinematic and action packed. The main cairn is full of NPC's with competing goals, and the follow-up notes have suggestions for the long term effects of opening the winter king's caern.

oh and the monster book is good to.

sc8rpi8n

First Post
Can anyone tell me about the new death knight? Next session I have an encounter with one of them and I would like to use the updated version more or less.

Thanks

Flobby

Explorer
How about the art? Is it on par with MMI? (which I loved) From the previews it looks like they are small illustrations in little circles...

DragoonLance

First Post
@ Flobby: Most of the art is the same as the MM, there is some new art too. The small circle pics are with each monster entry so you can tell which pog it corresponds to.

@ sc8rpi8n: gonna try this without breaking IP-
-AC/Will are -2, Fort and Ref are -1; attacks are -1 to hit
-HP +40 and lost second wind power
-Soulsword does +2 dice damage, lost the extra necrotic damage and crit bonus
-Containing Strike drops the second half of the power, but can attack two creatures, same damage as Soulsword, marks, plus slows on a hit
-Warriors Challenge does an extra die of damage and +7 static, lost the extra nec damage and can attack one or two creatures
-Unholy Flames lost the recharge but is the only power that gained a +1 to hit
-Combat Challenge works like the fighter's class feature now
-Implacable (new power) opportunity action: make a save against being marked, slowed, immobilized, dazed & stunned even if its not a save ends effect

Oulak

First Post
Thank you for sharing so generously of your time.

I woulld greatly appreciate the answer to these 2 questions:

Does the adventure carry on from the DM's Kit one or does it ignore it?

For example are the Iron Circle mentioned, or perhaps Lord Vhennyk?

+1 to this question, in case it was skimmed over. :)

And to add a third, in what area of the Nentir Vale does the adventure take place?

Dalamar

Adventurer
Any significant changes to the duergar? My group's facing some this friday, and I'd love to know if they're mostly okay as written.

DragoonLance

First Post
Any significant changes to the duergar? My group's facing some this friday, and I'd love to know if they're mostly okay as written.

Looking at the Guard and Scout, they are mostly the same with the errata adjustments to defenses and damage. Scout's underdark sneak ability does twice as much damage now, and infernal quills also adds ongoing 5 poison (save ends both effects.) Not huge changes though.

Retreater

Legend
Don't like the layout at all. Also, there's no tactical suggestions or grouped encounter suggestions (such as, throw this necromancer in with a lich and skeletons, etc.) Also, I think it's an overall subpar selection of opponents for the game. There seems to be a lot missing that *should* be there.

Overall, I'd say the MM is a better product for the money.

Retreater

Aegeri

First Post
Do you honestly need to be told a Lich should have skeletons? I mean, there is common sense and then there is the idea that a Lich has undead with it.

Your other point is spot on though. No ancient dragons is immeasurably disappointing and a very silly omission. The fact the book has virtually nothing in the epic tier is equally disappointing as well. It's like Wizards has decided that epic support is irrelevant these days and we've only had three good books (Both pre-essentials) that support epic tier well in monsters (MM3, Dark Sun: CS and Demonomicon). Looks like we're back to the good old ways of ignoring epic tiers existence. Again.

Retreater

Legend
Do you honestly need to be told a Lich should have skeletons? I mean, there is common sense and then there is the idea that a Lich has undead with it.

I don't. But a new DM - who is the target audience for Essentials products - might find it very helpful. A few sample encounters that are ready to go "on the fly" or as examples to show a well constructed encounter.

Retreater

Remove ads