• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Monstrous bite": feat, spell, magic ability or what else?

MadLuke

First Post
Hi to all,
I'd like to develop a new magic ability for non-monstrous characters: the character can trasform his own mouth to be more like a wolf mouth, giving him a bite attack (1d4 damage+Str bonus).
This could be useful when disarmed and obliged to combat. Or even when pretending to kiss a friend and then inflict him damage.

Well, the question is: how a human character could get this ability? I read the Deformity Teeth feat on Heroes of Horror, but I don't want this feature be always present on the character face, instead the character should keep his normal face and use the ability max 1 or 3 times a day.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance, MadLuke.

Empirate

First Post
Why not pick the Deformity feat regardless and reflavor it a little? Of course, deformity feats come with a penalty to Cha-based stuff, so maybe the transformation is not wholly under the PC's control?

Alternately, refluff Improved Unarmed Strike - the damage is almost exactly the same (d3 instead of d4). This couldn't be used as a secondary natural attack on top of weapon attacks, though.

Finally, take a look at the Shifter race (Eberron Campaign Setting, Monster Manual 3), which does exactly what you want, basically, and can make use of numerous Shifter feats to get better at this stuff.

nijineko

Explorer
calculate the cost of a magic item using bite of the wolf or bite of the bear, figure out the percentage of the wealth by level of what level it represents, that should give you an idea of a grafting cost / if it should be worth an LA or not.

if you are sticking this on a human chassis as a racial ability, then just drop the feat or skill point boost and replace it with the bite attack. though, it may not be worth that much, especially if it does not scale in damage. in which case just stick it on for free.

or just make it a racial and/or heritage feat.

Hi to all,
I'd like to develop a new magic ability for non-monstrous characters: the character can trasform his own mouth to be more like a wolf mouth, giving him a bite attack (1d4 damage+Str bonus).
This could be useful when disarmed and obliged to combat. Or even when pretending to kiss a friend and then inflict him damage.

Well, the question is: how a human character could get this ability? I read the Deformity Teeth feat on Heroes of Horror, but I don't want this feature be always present on the character face, instead the character should keep his normal face and use the ability max 1 or 3 times a day.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance, MadLuke.

We'd need details such as what action is the transformation and whether the "bite potential" is hidden before the PC can use it. To me, it seems like this is balanced as a "hidden" slotless magic item, perhaps priced as a 1st-level item. (And not even a continuous one.) Although if you can cast it as a swift action, it might get more expensive.

MadLuke

First Post
We'd need details such as what action is the transformation and whether the "bite potential" is hidden before the PC can use it. To me, it seems like this is balanced as a "hidden" slotless magic item, perhaps priced as a 1st-level item. (And not even a continuous one.) Although if you can cast it as a swift action, it might get more expensive.

Well, I was wondering about how shall be a seductor/seductress weapon. Once the chararacter is free to kiss everywhere on its body, it should be able to bite his naked throat and deliver a coupe de grace.

Bye, MadLuke.

MadLuke

First Post
No AoO, Reflex save or anything else. It's like the manouvre for being bitten to the throat by a vampire, who could ever realize what's going on before be too late?
In my idea, the cost should be balanced by the social difficulties to engage the proper situation, how often your character get a chance to have relaxed sex, with an enemy especially?

Bye, MadLuke.

nijineko

Explorer
well, in my opinion, the "social cost" cannot be made to balance the "combat advantages" in an equivalent fashion. in a game where overall balance is an a primary concern, this would be an absolute no-way item. (having said that, please note that such an "overall balance" style of game play is NOT how i play.) so my prior comment depends solely on the gameplay style of whomever is the DM/GM/ST for your game.

in one of my games, unless such an item were embedded inside the body, they are going to notice it. depending on the exact rp circumstances (which would have to be detailed enough to justify distracting them sufficiently) they may be prevented from attaching any importance to it. however, my style of gameplay does not support intimate social interaction of detailed nature.

hmmm, if you target the AoO and/or CdG, i still thing it is going to be expensive. the cheapest way i can think of accomplishing this idea is to give your target the status of helpless. that would prevent the AoO and allow the CdG, without resorting to magical enhancement on those things, which would be expensive.

i have thought of a simple and fairly inexpensive way of accomplishing this... but i'm not sure i like it. you do realize that this would more or less be the d&d equivalent of a date rape power/item/drug/effect, right? i don't like the player or character who would use such a thing.

Last edited:

Remove ads