Monte Cook teases The Magnus Archives Roleplaying Game

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
A Tania campaign with an ending that worked, I would hope. But that’s true of Black Tapes, too, now that I recall more.

Faolyn

(she/her)

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I am a huge fan of the Magnus Archives. This is amazing news!

It's non-Lovecraftian eldritch horror
Yes. Non-Lovecraftian eldritch or cosmic horror is a great way to describe it. No shoggoths or elder things but the vibe of these entities beyond our understanding interfering with the world is there. They did a really good job of building up their own Mythos and coming up with different things to invade your nightmares (though honestly there's a lot of body horror throughout the series IIRC - I should give it a re-listen).

Having said that - I'm really curious as to how you make an RPG out of it, given where the series went. Of course I'm also really curious as to how they're doing a second series of it given how the first one ended and they are doing a second series. So perhaps both questions have similar answers...

Faolyn

(she/her)
Yes. Non-Lovecraftian eldritch or cosmic horror is a great way to describe it. No shoggoths or elder things but the vibe of these entities beyond our understanding interfering with the world is there. They did a really good job of building up their own Mythos and coming up with different things to invade your nightmares (though honestly there's a lot of body horror throughout the series IIRC - I should give it a re-listen).

Having said that - I'm really curious as to how you make an RPG out of it, given where the series went. Of course I'm also really curious as to how they're doing a second series of it given how the first one ended and they are doing a second series. So perhaps both questions have similar answers...
The description from the kickstarter goes: "The Magnus Institute was an organisation dedicated to academic research into the esoteric and the paranormal, based out of Manchester, England. It burned to the ground in 1999. There were no survivors. Now, almost 25 years later, Alice and Sam, a pair of low-level civil service workers at the underfunded Office of Incident Assessment and Response, have stumbled across its legacy. A legacy that will put them in grave danger."

So... alternate reality, I guess.

As for how the game goes, I would guess you'd be paranormal researchers/artifact reclaimers, perhaps associated with one of the various sister institutes the original podcast mentioned. I'm interested in if you'd be able to play a burgeoning avatar, and if there will be rules for corruption.

I just wanna know more about those vampires. So wonderfully creepy and different than the norm.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Monte Cook Games' crowdfunding campaign for The Magnus Archives RPG is well over $1 Million. At the time of this posting, it was $1,254,468 with 7,063 backers and 20 days left. Interestingly, this project is funded through BackerKit, not Kickstarter.

@Morrus , is this the first "Million Dollar TTRPG Kickstarter" that isn't a Kickstarter?

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
According to BackerTracker, it raised $794,798 in the first 24 hours, and is trending toward $2.4M. If it meets that projection, it will become the 5th highest-funded TTRPG between "Fools Gold" and "Strongholds & Streaming."

Last edited:

Remove ads