• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cooks "Ptolus"

Stormborn

Explorer
Starman said:
Monte has hinted that this isn't just a massive book detailing Ptolus. He, of course, isn't saying exactly what it is going to be, though.

Starman

It says here http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_Ptolus, that:

"The setting can be used on its own or inserted into an existing campaign—actually, it's both a setting and a mega-adventure that will take you from 1st to 20th level, and it's a sourcebook on running urban campaigns."

So not only is it a Ptolus setting book, its a campaign in itself. Having read much of Banewarrens and noted the way he deals with possible PC derailment of the plot it will be interesting to see how he handles the later levels.

Zuoken

First Post
Should be quite interesting... Sharn: City of Towers was one of the best city supplements that I've ever seen, and that was less then 1/3rd the length of Ptolus.

Hopefully Monte can put that space to good use.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
It looks pretty interesting to me. I've enjoyed reading his "story hour" about his Ptolus campaign and I've pretty interested in seeing the city fleshed out. Just another book to add to my "likely will buy" list (which doesn't have that much in it for a change).

Kane

Starman

Adventurer
Stormborn said:
It says here http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_Ptolus, that:

"The setting can be used on its own or inserted into an existing campaign—actually, it's both a setting and a mega-adventure that will take you from 1st to 20th level, and it's a sourcebook on running urban campaigns."

So not only is it a Ptolus setting book, its a campaign in itself. Having read much of Banewarrens and noted the way he deals with possible PC derailment of the plot it will be interesting to see how he handles the later levels.

Ah, cool. I hadn't seen the mega-adventure part. I'm going to be saving up some money for this.

Starman

EricNoah

Adventurer
Very interested; I might not actually play it but I do want to read it. And ultimately Monte probably doesn't care as long as I buy it. :D

Turanil

First Post
For what I rememebr of the Ptolus story hour, it was a D&D game, rather than an Arcana Unearthed game. So my suggestion would be to have this book easy to use with Arcana Unearthed / Evolved, rather than purely intended at D&D.

Khairn

First Post
As an unabashed Monte "fanboi" I know I'll be picking it up. I've found almost everything he's done to be filled with both crunch and fluff that at a minimum I'll be able to steal and use elsewhere.

But as for running a game with Ptolus? I't would have to be really something special as I find city campaigns to be more limited than my usual style of gaming. But I can see where it would be great for a small group of 2-3 players. Time will tell.

scadgrad

First Post
I'll most likely take a look at it, but at best it goes on my "Might buy it if it really catches my fancy" list. Color me very skeptical though. IIRC Ptolus is something akin to the cantina at Mos Eisley which makes me cry BS (in my head at least) unless we're talking sci-fi or planescape (which has many of the trappings of space epics). I was one of those who was really hoping for new Planescape material. Denied.

Firebeetle

Explorer
Ptolus, ahoy!

As a guy that just ran a very successful Freeport campaign, I'm a big fan of the city campaign. I don't find them limited at all. In fact, it's fun to see the city change and grow in response to the player's actions.

I currently am running a campaign in Ptolus (so this book, which I've been asking for on Monte's boards for years, is ill-timed) and the players have founded their own church there (Urgon, from the BOHMII.) This has caused a serious rivalry with the Church of Lothian and the group has to constantly deal with their harassment.

Yes, I'll be buying this book. I might have to run another Ptolus campaign just to use the mega-adventure. It would be fun to run a campaign with the previous characters as NPCs.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I like city campaigns and city based books.

I was glad to see Waterdeep for 3.5, but felt that Sharn was better.

I'd love to see Freeport get a deluxe treatment and be updated in a thicker book with fewer issues in terms of editing and 3.5 rules of course.

Monte's new book sounds good.

Why is it in the OGL game forum though? It's a d20 fantasy product.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads