• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cooks "Ptolus"

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Uder said:
Yeah. It's a cool looking product, but looking at Malhavok's FAQs and product information, it seems almost like they're avoiding stating which version of d20 this is using.
It's 3.5. AFAIK, there aren't any major publishers (or minor for that matter) putting out 3.0 material. All of Malhavoc's material to comeout after 3.5 has either been for 3.5 or for Arcana Unearthed/Evolved.

Kane

Imruphel

First Post
This is the product that I wish Arcana Unearthed had been (AU was good but I like to use my 3.xE stuff).

I'll be buying it: hang the cost.

Wraith101

First Post
Geanavue: The Stones of Peace by Ed Greenwood is the Kalamar book your thinking of!

Although I dont usually like Greenwoods writing that much I really enjoyed Geanavue.

I must admit Ptolus looks tempting, I would love to use the material for my upcoming big city campaign. . . Of course I cant wait another year so looks like I will never end up buying it.

Bobitron

Explorer
I'll buy it. I love city-based games.

I'll probably never get the chance to run it, though. :(

Edit: By the way, here's the info regarding price and availability from the site, in case anybody is too lazy to click it. ;)

672-page deluxe hardcover book with poster, handouts, bookmarks, and CD-Rom
Price: $119.99 Stock #WW16114
Coming in August 2006*
PDF editions available starting in May 2006**

US Orders: Preorder in full now or pay in installments.

Hehe, installments. That cracks me up. :D

Last edited:

ssampier

First Post
One-hundred twenty dollars seems steep for a city-campaign. Will it detail sizable portions of geography outside of Plotus as well (I'm thinking 60 pages at least)?

ssampier said:
One-hundred twenty dollars seems steep for a city-campaign. Will it detail sizable portions of geography outside of Plotus as well (I'm thinking 60 pages at least)?
I think that while the book is supposed to give a very rough overview of an entire campaign world, that world, and therefore the book, is really all about this one huge city, its denizens, it dungeons, it plots and peculiarities.
The book Ptolus is about the city Ptolus - in detail.

Khorod

First Post
There is quite a lot of good information and some mouth-watering sort of previews off of Monte's site, I suggest checking it out.

I was doubtful at first, but even the early previews of this book's contents and style have me thinking very carefully.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Check out http://www.ptolus.com for all Ptolus' information and previews my friend Khorod was just talking about.

Bluffside, Freeport, and City of Silver are all big d20 city supplements you might want to check out if you like detailed city stuff. I think there is a Kalamar one as well but I don't remember the name.

Thanks for the information. Freeport is the one I have to check out.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Based on the web previews I've seen, the detail in Waterdeep, Freeport, and Bluffside is PEANUTS compared to the level of detail in Ptolus. It's worth a look at the PDF previews to see what I mean.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads