• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte has left the building:How do you feel about the direction of the game?

Derren

Hero
No product I know of where a lead designer left mid development has become good. That will likely happen with 5E, too.

The important thing is not that Monte left, but the reason why he left. Its pretty obvious that WotC were marginalizing him during development and apparently developed so many things which are against Montes ideas of a good game that he was fed up and left.

So, for everyone who thinks that 5E will bring back some things from 3E, no it won't. Whatever Monte wants to see in a game, it won't be in 5E.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, considering I have heard nothing new about 5E since he left, and little about it before, I do not think my opinion has shifted much.

The only inference I can perhaps draw from his departure is that there are Hasbro constraints on the project, that he did not agree with.

But that would seem obvious, and something he probably should have known going in.

Tallifer

Hero
Monte Cook's legacy lives on and thrives in Pathfinder. I am not sure why any of his followers need look elsewhere. I know that I get more than enough Pathfinder nowadays, and I look forward to something different.

Hopefully the departure of Cook means that the designers for the Fifth Edition have become more focused on what they want and do not want.

Elf Witch

First Post
Designer slots are filled by people.

I've seen childish internet crap from Cook before.

Leaving mid project and making an announcement in your blog about how you can't work on the company's product because of a "difference of opinion" is childish internet crap.

Something happened where he didn't get his way to the point that he rage quit and then engaged in childish behavior afterwards.

That seems awfully consistent with edition war type behavior.

I think you are very wrong on this. He left and he did it with grace and without drama. He didn't sling mud at anyone.

People leave paying jobs all the time because they are not enjoying it and want to do something else.

The fact that he mentioned it is his blog makes sense would you think it was better if he kept it hidden? People are interested in the designers and eventually it would have leaked out that he had left.

Elf Witch

First Post
I do feel that Monte's leaving has chilled my desire some what for 5E. Monte designs things I like in a game. For the most part 4E left me cold and not interested.

I will keep an open mind but now I worry that we are just going to be getting more 4E ideas with little nods to previous editions. But not enough to make it a game I want to play.

Hopefully I am wrong and 5E will be the game I have been waiting for.

hanez

First Post
Took a lil bit of wind out of my sails. He's been involved in vmany of the projects that I consider great - 3e, Ptolus, Iron Heroes, Arcana Unearthed - so I'm not sure, I hope they continue with some of the ideas he left for them.

After 4e I don't really have a lot of faith in WOTC being able to create a game that I would call "D&D". Some of the articles about getting back to basics made me think it was possible, bringing back Monte made me really believe it. Him leaving and reading an article about the recent blog post about healing surges has left me doubting again.

Last edited:

BobTheNob

First Post
Designer slots are filled by people.

I've seen childish internet crap from Cook before.

Leaving mid project and making an announcement in your blog about how you can't work on the company's product because of a "difference of opinion" is childish internet crap.

Something happened where he didn't get his way to the point that he rage quit and then engaged in childish behavior afterwards.

That seems awfully consistent with edition war type behavior.

Really? I will give you the benefit of the doubt that there was more information in your source than you have exposed in your post but to non specifically state "difference of opinion" doesnt come across as childish to me at all. In fact non-disclosure to the general public of reasons for dissatisfaction is the mature way to handle such things.

You also say he rage quit. Was there something he posted that was a rage quit?

If he spent his post bad mouthing people and the company and burning his bridges, that would be childish. Slinging mud without justification is what makes one look childish.

Im genuinely curious to read these posts. If you could provide links that would be fantastic.

Remove ads