• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Moon Circle Druid Play Report

aramis erak

Legend
All I have to add are two random assumptions.

1. As I understand it, the 5e game puts levels 1-3 as the "scrub" levels, where players are just starting their adventuring careers and are struggling to master their new roles as adventurers. I also understand that the XP chart makes quick work of gaining those 3 levels.

The math works out to about 10-13 moderate single-opponent encounters per level, or about twice that for 3-8 opponent moderate encounters. so, 10-26 moderate encounters per level.

But, note that that presumes a balanced levels party.

For players who only get to 2-3 encounters per sessions, each level is 3 to 13 sessions. (This could be due to in-character talkiness, table talk, short sessions, excessive grid reliance, GM's throwing easy encounters in sequence rather than harder ones...) Now, with 2.5 hour sessions, I saw players hit level 2 in about 5 sessions. Several hit level 2 in 4 sessions. On the other hand, playing in an otherwise level 3 party, the last two new guys both hit level 2 in one session. The guy who made level 2 made level 3 in 3 more sessions. In other words, it catches up quickly. 12 sessions in, and my players are mostly hitting level 4. And leveling out of Encounters into Casual Play at the store...

Sacrosanct

Legend
The math works out to about 10-13 moderate single-opponent encounters per level, or about twice that for 3-8 opponent moderate encounters. so, 10-26 moderate encounters per level.

But, note that that presumes a balanced levels party.

For players who only get to 2-3 encounters per sessions, each level is 3 to 13 sessions. (This could be due to in-character talkiness, table talk, short sessions, excessive grid reliance, GM's throwing easy encounters in sequence rather than harder ones...) Now, with 2.5 hour sessions, I saw players hit level 2 in about 5 sessions. Several hit level 2 in 4 sessions. On the other hand, playing in an otherwise level 3 party, the last two new guys both hit level 2 in one session. The guy who made level 2 made level 3 in 3 more sessions. In other words, it catches up quickly. 12 sessions in, and my players are mostly hitting level 4. And leveling out of Encounters into Casual Play at the store...

This assumes PCs only get XP for monsters. They don't. There are several ways to get XP. If you use something like HotDQ, you gain a level roughly every scenario. And you can do each scenario in one session pretty easily (the first 3 at least). So this almighty game breaking level 2 druid affects your game exactly one session, and that's assuming you either ignore or don't have any of the numerous mitigating circumstances that reduce that wild shape form.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
The Moon Druid will be a nightmare at level 20. Probably the most powerful class in the game. Unlimited Wild Shape with elemental forms possible will be nearly impossible to beat. He can keep changing forms renewing his hit points. Nightmare to bring down. I imagine not many will play to 20 or play at 20 much.

Stalker0

Legend
The Moon Druid will be a nightmare at level 20. Probably the most powerful class in the game. Unlimited Wild Shape with elemental forms possible will be nearly impossible to beat. He can keep changing forms renewing his hit points. Nightmare to bring down. I imagine not many will play to 20 or play at 20 much.

The ability does look REALLY strong, but then again at 20th things are relative.

I believe someone mentioned that a wizard with 9th level spells can cast the 8th level Simulacrum spell with no material cost. Effectively gaining access to 2 20th level wizards.

Authweight

First Post
I actually don't think the moon druid's unlimited transformations are that good at level 20. Yes, it means he's almost unkillable in animal form. But by that point, he's giving up a lot of stuff to do that, specifically all his spells. The problem at low levels is that the Druid doesn't have many spells, and the animal attack is better than his spells anyway, so the Druid isn't really losing much for being in animal form, while he gets a lot of great stuff with it.

Edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

Shatterphim

First Post
In a Expeditions event a few weeks ago, we ran into a young bronze dragon which we ran from... But if I got to level 18, should I be able Wild Shape into that dragon? Assuming the GM was using the books CR6. I assume that its possible because the manual mentions that WS doesn't allow legendary or lair actions,and none of the natural beasts have those.

kbrakke

First Post
In a Expeditions event a few weeks ago, we ran into a young bronze dragon which we ran from... But if I got to level 18, should I be able Wild Shape into that dragon? Assuming the GM was using the books CR6. I assume that its possible because the manual mentions that WS doesn't allow legendary or lair actions,and none of the natural beasts have those.

The dragon isn't a beast sadly, so no shaping in to it. If you, or the DM looks a stat block for a monsters, under the name in italics there is a list of traits. If beast is one of them you can wild shape in to it.

Last edited:

Shatterphim

First Post
Uhg...I was hoping most of the creatures in the Monster Manual, appendix A: Misc. Creatures would be safe. I guess that means that the "Monstrosity"s Phase Spider and Winter Wolf art out. So Moon Driuds have the same flying options when the ability is unlocked at lvl 8 vs Land Druids. Atleast until the Druid gets Air Elemental at lvl10. That's pretty weak having no options against flying.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads