• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Moon Druid question

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
So I just got my AL moon druid to third level (almost 4). I understand that excess damage from beast form carries over to normal form when it drops you. But does healing carry over, as well?

1. I got surprised and crit, bringing me down to 1 hp. Shifted to dire form for 37 hp. If I used the bonus action spell slots to heal, would I heal my normal form hp from 1, or does that only heal beast form? What about later if I take damage in beast form and the cleric heals me for more than the damage?

2. The other situation was I got grabbed by a vampire and bitten several times, lowering my max hp (all the way down to 3!) But I was told that is my beast form AND normal form max HP. Is that correct, or should only my beast form take that damage?

Thanks!

Damage and healing in beast form effect only beast form, as per Sage Advice. Healing in beast form gives your beast form back hit points, not your human form. So in your example, when you revert to human form, you will still only have 1 hit point.

I'm pretty sure the max hit points would affect you in both forms, because it's the equivalent of a status, and those carry over. Not 100% sure on that one, though.

If max hit points changes would affect both forms, then so should the Aid spell. Kind of a dangerous precedent to set actually. As a DM, make sure you think this one all the way through before making a ruling.

If max hit points changes would affect both forms, then so should the Aid spell. Kind of a dangerous precedent to set actually. As a DM, make sure you think this one all the way through before making a ruling.

I would assume that it would. Any other spell on you--barksin, for instance--would carry over. (In fact, some people would argue that wildshape is the primary purpose for that spell.) So I don't see why aid wouldn't.

I would assume that it would. Any other spell on you--barksin, for instance--would carry over. (In fact, some people would argue that wildshape is the primary purpose for that spell.) So I don't see why aid wouldn't.

And I'd probably rule the same way, in the full knowledge that this makes Aid (especially higher-level Aid like Aid V) especially potent for druids, but also makes vampires (etc.) especially dangerous for druids. I think both outcomes are acceptable; but some people might have a problem with it, judging by past forum discussions.

All I'm saying is, "Think it through."

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Thanks for the input. I did treat Barkskin as carrying over. Never even crossed my mind it wouldn't. Seems kind of the point.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Koren

Explorer
I think the question here can be simplified to "Do effects and conditions carry over when changing from one's main form to the shapechanged/polymorphed/beast form and back, or not."

If an effect from a barkskin spell carries over, then the max hit point reduction from an undead's draining attack would, the curse from a mummy's rotting touch would, and the effects of a heroes feast consumed prior to the day's combat would as well. The consensus seems to be that positive spell "buff" effects do carry over. If that's the case, then detrimental effects would logically carry over as well.

For instance, a druid's been cursed by a Vistani in CoS for some reason or another, leaving her vulnerable to fire damage. When the druid wild shapes into a wolf, the curse still applies and if affected by a fireball, the damage is going to be doubled.

If we assume that ongoing conditions carry over in this way, then the reduction of max hp from undead attacks would affect the max hp value of both forms. Likewise, the increase to max hp from Aid would apply to each form shifted into for the duration of the spell, but once the 5 additional hp were lost from the base form, each subsequent shift would not "reapply" them. Since each use of wild shape is in effect, a "new" beast form, then each would get the increase to max hp (and current hp would start at that new max).

Healing caused to one form would not, as damage/healing only affects the forms as spelled out in the Wild Shape class feature. But a heal over time spell (regeneration for instance) cast on the wild shaped druid would continue to affect the druid in their base form if they shift out, and vice versa.

Koren

Explorer
2. The other situation was I got grabbed by a vampire and bitten several times, lowering my max hp (all the way down to 3!) But I was told that is my beast form AND normal form max HP. Is that correct, or should only my beast form take that damage?

Thanks!

The reduction of your maximum hp is not "damage". It's an effect that reduces your hp maximum by the amount of damage dealt to your current hp. Your beast form would take the damage dealt to its current hp (reducing it), and then reduce its max hp by the bonus necrotic damage dealt by the bite attack. As the max-hp reducing effect doesn't go away until after a long rest, the same effect would apply to your natural form when you came out of wild shape. Note, this wouldn't set your natural form's max hp to 3 if its max hp is different than your wild shape, but rather to max hp - total damage caused by vampire's bite attacks necrotic bonus damage.

Remove ads