D&D (2024) Moon druid with weapons mastery?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think giving druids a mastery while shapeshifted would be a great idea, let a bear cleave with a swipe of its claws or a rhino damage on a miss.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The question is: What does a fighter get to have that nobody else does?
Adding weapon masteries to weapons that don't normally come with them is a fairly big deal.

But yes, I agree. Druids should not be grabbing the fighter-types shtick that much. Wildshaping and spellcasting is their thing.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Wildshaping is the druid's thing, but if they are going to dumb down wildshaping then they should add something different to the wildshapes to make them more interesting and weapon mastery effects I think would work well, it could even be specific to the moon druid as the premier wildshapers. The new animal of the X shapes are super boring and need a boost if druid's are no longer going to be able to wildshape into specific beasts with interesting effects associated with them.

Oofta

Legend
The question is: What does a fighter get to have that nobody else does?
Why does a druid get shape change? Why does a rogue get sneak attack? Why does a monk get ki points? Why not just have a point buy system for all characters and have just one class?

Because it's D&D. 🤷‍♂️

Oofta

Legend
Wildshaping is the druid's thing, but if they are going to dumb down wildshaping then they should add something different to the wildshapes to make them more interesting and weapon mastery effects I think would work well, it could even be specific to the moon druid as the premier wildshapers. The new animal of the X shapes are super boring and need a boost if druid's are no longer going to be able to wildshape into specific beasts with interesting effects associated with them.

That I agree with, and I thought I remember them replying somewhere that they planned to add more. I think they went a little overboard with nerfing druids and wild shape, we see what happens.

ChameleonX

Explorer
I would rather Moon Druids gain access to a list of beast traits from the monster manual to customize their animal form; e.g. Pounce, Charge, Relentless, Blood Frenzy, Spider Climb, etc.

Alternatively, why not add effects similar to Weapon Mastery via a mechanic druids already have: Spells?

Bring back the 4th Edition Druid's beast form evocations; special spells druids can only cast while in animal form, which act like special attacks that push, knock prone, daze, restrain, cause bleed damage, etc.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Alternatively, why not add effects similar to Weapon Mastery via a mechanic druids already have: Spells?
People already complain how everything is a spell...

I'm not actually opposed to that, but if the effect is something simple that a weapon mastery covers, I think they should use that.

Remove ads