• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Moon druid with weapons mastery?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Sounds more like a Ranger or actually Barbarian thing. Definitely wouldn't have an issue with a class that focuses on fighting while partially or fully shapeshifted. That might be an interesting entry into playing more monstrous characters.
I am very specifically asking if a FIGHTHER should get it. And yes it does sound like it should be another class - sort of like it doesn't sound like the weapon mastery thing should be a druid thing.

Mistwell

Not sure the flavor would be very good, but yes.

Barbarian getting wild shape makes a lot more sense IMO.

And beast barbarian will need mastery for it's claws.
So you also agree it doesn't sound like it fits right with the fighter - and yet the druid fits right with the weapon mastery that fighters do best?

Mistwell

That'd be sick, why not? I'd love a Lycan Fighter. Works better as a Barbarian though!
Pretty much everyone who has replied agrees it would fit better as some other class. Which was my point - druid doesn't fit best with weapon mastery either.

mellored

Legend
So you also agree it doesn't sound like it fits right with the fighter - and yet the druid fits right with the weapon mastery that fighters do best?
A ram being able to push sounds right.
A wolf being able to topple sounds right. (As it already does)
A velociraptor getting advantage when attacking the same target multiple times sounds ok.
A spider slowing sounds ok.
An ankylosaurus giving disadvantage on your next attack sounds right.
A cat nicking you with extra swipe sounds right.
A bear dealing some damage even on a miss sounds right.
... hard time thinking of a Cleave animal off the top of my head but there may be one.

Overall, different animals with different effects is exactly what I and many others want from wild shape.

Which is very similar to how mastery's work. So why not consolidate?

Oofta

Legend
A ram being able to push sounds right.
A wolf being able to topple sounds right. (As it already does)
A velociraptor getting advantage when attacking the same target multiple times sounds ok.
A spider slowing sounds ok.
An ankylosaurus giving disadvantage on your next attack sounds right.
A cat nicking you with extra swipe sounds right.
A bear dealing some damage even on a miss sounds right.
... hard time thinking of a Cleave animal off the top of my head but there may be one.

Overall, different animals with different effects is exactly what I and many others want from wild shape.

Which is very similar to how mastery's work. So why not consolidate?
Because there's no reason to? Because you're trying to take one of the things they're trying out to make martials distinct and unique by applying them to other classes? Where does it stop? It would be pretty cool if a wizard could push with any force damage as well.

But it's also unnecessary. Make things unique to the wild shape which, again, is not going to be an actual beast from the MM if they use the playtest version. You will never wild shape into a ram, you'll transform into an Animal of the Land. You can call that form a ram, you can describe it as a ram, but it will just be an Animal of the Land. They've stated there will be more specific variations, those variations can include the things you list if they want or things like granting the shape a climb speed.

What they don't need is to steal another class's iconic signature style.

Because there's no reason to? Because you're trying to take one of the things they're trying out to make martials distinct and unique by applying them to other classes? Where does it stop? It would be pretty cool if a wizard could push with any force damage as well.

But it's also unnecessary. Make things unique to the wild shape which, again, is not going to be an actual beast from the MM if they use the playtest version. You will never wild shape into a ram, you'll transform into an Animal of the Land. You can call that form a ram, you can describe it as a ram, but it will just be an Animal of the Land. They've stated there will be more specific variations, those variations can include the things you list if they want or things like granting the shape a climb speed.

What they don't need is to steal another class's iconic signature style.
No reason other than it being FUN??

Remove ads