Mordenkainen's Tome Of Foes Showing Up In The Wild -- See These Preview Shots!

That tweet seems to have disappeared quickly - I can't find it on his account, unless I'm missing something. And it's not surprising if it has been removed as it's a month before even the FLGS release date!

That tweet seems to have disappeared quickly - I can't find it on his account, unless I'm missing something. And it's not surprising if it has been removed as it's a month before even the FLGS release date!

Right. But we are replying to the comment:
‘"elves are seldom frivolous and carefree"?!? That's an complete 180.’

We’re disagreeing that that is a 180.

Yeah, the more I think on it, despite my earlier statement, it isn't a complete 180. However, I would still say that traditionally elves' level of "frivolous and carefree" would rank somewhere well above "seldom"...

darjr

I crit!
Joe Manganiello twitted a photo of a copy. I don’t know if it’s the same copy.

https://twitter.com/joemanganiello/status/986773093111615488?s=21
DbG45MIVwAE0Xt7

Ranthalan

First Post
I actually don’t think of Elves as frivolous or carefree. To me that describes Halflings moreso than Elves.

If memory serves (and it rarely does, these days) back in 1E I believe the word "flighty" was used to describe elves. I'm not sure what happened between 2E and 5E, though.

If memory serves (and it rarely does, these days) back in 1E I believe the word "flighty" was used to describe elves. I'm not sure what happened between 2E and 5E, though.

They can still be fickle even if they are not frivolous or carefree. They are an innately chaotic race after all.

Joe Manganiello twitted a photo of a copy. I don’t know if it’s the same copy.

https://twitter.com/joemanganiello/status/986773093111615488?s=21
DbG45MIVwAE0Xt7

It's nice to really get a good look at the detail of the special cover here. And I'm for the first time, I'm torn between the normal and special cover, as both of them for MToF are very nice and neither is (in my subjective opinion of course) significantly better than the other. With VGtM and XGtE, I had a clear choice I wanted (special for the first, normal for the second), but for this book... argh, I can't justify buying both covers and get it on DDB. I guess I'll aim for the special cover, and pick up the normal later if I get the urge to do so lol...

Also, as I've wondered before, what's with the displacer beast on the right? This is supposed to be a book about universal threats and multi-planar conflicts, and everyone else on the cover looks suitable for that. Then there's this random displacer beast... I guess we'll be seeing a higher-CR displacer beast variant in the book?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's nice to really get a good look at the detail of the special cover here. And I'm for the first time, I'm torn between the normal and special cover, as both of them for MToF are very nice and neither is (in my subjective opinion of course) significantly better than the other. With VGtM and XGtE, I had a clear choice I wanted (special for the first, normal for the second), but for this book... argh, I can't justify buying both covers and get it on DDB. I guess I'll aim for the special cover, and pick up the normal later if I get the urge to do so lol...

Also, as I've wondered before, what's with the displacer beast on the right? This is supposed to be a book about universal threats and multi-planar conflicts, and everyone else on the cover looks suitable for that. Then there's this random displacer beast... I guess we'll be seeing a higher-CR displacer beast variant in the book?
Wouldn't be that odd, insofar as the Displacer Beast is one of the handful of distinct product identity monsters.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Only half of the monsters in the book is for that kind of stuff (which is way more than any other book, granted). The rest of it is intended for lower level stuff so that everyone can use at least some of the book.

Only half of the monsters in the book is for that kind of stuff (which is way more than any other book, granted). The rest of it is intended for lower level stuff so that everyone can use at least some of the book.

Yep, we know it's been confirmed that we'll get about a 50-50 split above and below CR 10.

It's just that the displacer beast stood out (to me) as being a bit out of place among the other creatures on the cover. Just a random bit of observation on my part...

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Yep, we know it's been confirmed that we'll get about a 50-50 split above and below CR 10.

It's just that the displacer beast stood out (to me) as being a bit out of place among the other creatures on the cover. Just a random bit of observation on my part...

Maybe it's an animal companion of one of the greater threats? Which based on the image would be a mindflayer

Remove ads

Remove ads