Most Anticipated RPG of 2017: The Official Poll!

47 nominees have been nominated, the list has been compiled, and now it's time to commence the voting! This poll will run for one week (until Thursday 12th January). Which of the listed products is your most anticipated game of 2017? You may vote for multiple products if you are anticipating more than one.

47 nominees have been nominated, the list has been compiled, and now it's time to commence the voting! This poll will run for one week (until Thursday 12th January). Which of the listed products is your most anticipated game of 2017? You may vote for multiple products if you are anticipating more than one.

Check out last year's winning 10 most anticipated games here. This is the 4th annual poll measuring the most anticipated full standalone tabletop roleplaying games of the year (not supplemental items like adventures, accessories, settings, and sourcebooks).

d20.jpg

Derren

Hero
You should check out Numenera then. It is a mixed fantasy/tech setting way in the future. For that matter you should go check out Shadow World by Terry Amthor. I believe it is the first actual fantasy/tech setting as it came out in the early 80's. Though some might have an issue with the setting as it is for Rolemaster, which consequently is coming out with a new edition soon called RMU (Rolemaster Unified). Not sure if it is going to be this year though as it is still in beta testing.

Isn't Numenera more a Fantasy/Post-Apocalyptic setting?

Madmaxneo

Explorer

I am not even sure I would call it post apocalyptic but it is a close comparison. When playing it is hard to see the tech sometimes but it is there. There are devices that you can find and use that give you abilities and what not.

Aldarc

Legend
Science Fantasy. Numenera operates by the principle of Arthur C. Clarke's third principle that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Numenera takes place in the Ninth World, which lives in the shadow of eight prior grand civilizations that have come-and-gone, leaving behind their own magic-like technology and imprint on the world. How and why these civilizations are gone is never stated, nor does it particularly matter: what matters is building a future from what remains of their "mystical" scientific legacies.

Derren

Hero
Science Fantasy. Numenera operates by the principle of Arthur C. Clarke's third principle that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Numenera takes place in the Ninth World, which lives in the shadow of eight prior grand civilizations that have come-and-gone, leaving behind their own magic-like technology and imprint on the world. How and why these civilizations are gone is never stated, nor does it particularly matter: what matters is building a future from what remains of their "mystical" scientific legacies.

Correct me if I am wrong, but from the pictures I saw about Numenera it looked to me that the current civilization lives in a basically medieval fantasy world except that their magic has a technological backdrop yet they do not really know of advanced technology themselves. That is what I call Post Apocalyptic Fantasy. The 'science' part of the setting is gone and only encountered as ruins.

That is a stark contrast to settings I see as Science Fantasy where advanced technology and science exists alongside magic like in Shadowrun and Dragonstar and hopefully also Starfinder. This I find more interesting than fantasy with a different explanation for magic.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads