• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most Anticipated RPG of 2017: The Official Poll!

47 nominees have been nominated, the list has been compiled, and now it's time to commence the voting! This poll will run for one week (until Thursday 12th January). Which of the listed products is your most anticipated game of 2017? You may vote for multiple products if you are anticipating more than one.

47 nominees have been nominated, the list has been compiled, and now it's time to commence the voting! This poll will run for one week (until Thursday 12th January). Which of the listed products is your most anticipated game of 2017? You may vote for multiple products if you are anticipating more than one.

Check out last year's winning 10 most anticipated games here. This is the 4th annual poll measuring the most anticipated full standalone tabletop roleplaying games of the year (not supplemental items like adventures, accessories, settings, and sourcebooks).

d20.jpg

Aldarc

Legend
Correct me if I am wrong, but from the pictures I saw about Numenera it looked to me that the current civilization lives in a basically medieval fantasy world except that their magic has a technological backdrop yet they do not really know of advanced technology themselves. That is what I call Post Apocalyptic Fantasy. The 'science' part of the setting is gone and only encountered as ruins.

That is a stark contrast to settings I see as Science Fantasy where advanced technology and science exists alongside magic like in Shadowrun and Dragonstar and hopefully also Starfinder. This I find more interesting than fantasy with a different explanation for magic.
Yes and no. In some ways, it's far more advanced than medieval society, and in other ways, it's more akin to earlier civilizations. It depends. But it's not "apocalyptic" fantasy. There is no implied apocalypse to be seen or had. It's no more apocalyptic than the decline of Rome or the disappearance of older cultures replaced by younger ones. Or even D&D and all of its dungeons and ruins. The inhabitants somewhat know of the advanced technology but nowhere near to the same degree. They are capable of using and creating advanced technology themselves - with the "mages" of the setting, nanos, being capable of using the nano machines in the atmosphere to create magical effects - but their understanding is nowhere near to the same level. We're talking about civilizations capable of rekindling the light of the sun, creating supercontinents, etc.. It's very much more science fantasy than apocalyptic fantasy.

Derren

Hero
Yes and no. In some ways, it's far more advanced than medieval society, and in other ways, it's more akin to earlier civilizations. It depends. But it's not "apocalyptic" fantasy. There is no implied apocalypse to be seen or had. It's no more apocalyptic than the decline of Rome or the disappearance of older cultures replaced by younger ones. Or even D&D and all of its dungeons and ruins. The inhabitants somewhat know of the advanced technology but nowhere near to the same degree. They are capable of using and creating advanced technology themselves - with the "mages" of the setting, nanos, being capable of using the nano machines in the atmosphere to create magical effects - but their understanding is nowhere near to the same level. We're talking about civilizations capable of rekindling the light of the sun, creating supercontinents, etc.. It's very much more science fantasy than apocalyptic fantasy.

So it is post apocalypse fantasy. The apocalypse happened and now people are left to pick up the pieces. A stark contrast to Shadowrun etc. where technology continues to progress and is supplemented by magic and other fantasy elements.

Aldarc

Legend
So it is post apocalypse fantasy. The apocalypse happened and now people are left to pick up the pieces. A stark contrast to Shadowrun etc. where technology continues to progress and is supplemented by magic and other fantasy elements.
No. It isn't. There is no known apocalypse in the setting or certainly not a conventional one by any means. Some of these great civilizations may have simply packed up and left. We simply don't know. It's largely irrelevant. Not all of these civilizations were human. It doesn't matter. There is no notion that human civilization has declined or is "rebuilding" from any apocalyptic collapse as we find in the post-apocalyptic genre. And if there was an "apocalypse" the Ninth World is so far removed chronologically that it can hardly constitute a "post-apocalyptic" fantasy anymore. It's as post-apocalyptic as Star Wars and its galaxy far, far away. Technology in the Ninth World also continues to progress and is supplemented by "magic," other fantasy elements, as well as the "numenera" of the previous civilizations.

discosoc

First Post
I voted other because, honestly, the market is way too saturated with RPG games right now. I think that's an extension of indie boardgames getting popular over the last decade, but RPG's take a bit more commitment to stay involved in.

Greg K

Legend
Honestly, I am not anticipating any of them. I have a slight interest in Conan and Star Trek, but only as references to adapt to another system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads