Most Unusual or Outrageous Character or NPC Names

Normally I'm not into joke names, or if they are joke names, at least make them subtle enough that they still work in the campaign setting. I do have a character for an Eberron game, for instance, named Ebeneezer Goode, which I think works in that setting.

And yes, his friends do call him 'eezer, and he is the main geezer, and he does vibe up the party like no other man could. ;)

I had a long-running character in a serious campaign who was named "John Ashcroft". I was making the character really late at night and I wrote it on my character sheet with the intent to change it to a real name but never did.

DMO

First Post
Our games mostly involve serious names, but over the years there have been some exceptions.

We once played a very lighthearted Robotech game with a first time GM who named things in his setting like so: Cecil-town, Herb lake, The Chuck Faction. All of our characters were named after the cars we drove at the time. So we ended up with stuff like: Regal Celebrity, Bronco Conquest, Celica Tempo, etc. Although silly, it worked out to be an incredibly fun, if short-lived, gaming experience.

In recent memory, I let a player introduce a character named Rice Pilaf. The thought of it still pains me. In addition, a different player had a character named Ewanuwanu Meyanayanayana, which I allowed because of his flawless deadpan delivery.

My favorite wacky character names, though, have to be those of a good friend I used to play WEG Star Wars with. I remember a Wookie named Affy Tapple and a Droid named 2BORNOT2B. Still cracks me up thinking about it.

Roman

First Post
DonaldRumsfeldsTofu said:
I had a long-running character in a serious campaign who was named "John Ashcroft". I was making the character really late at night and I wrote it on my character sheet with the intent to change it to a real name but never did.

Yeah, my character died and I rejoined the group with a new character but had not yet thought of a name, so he was called 'Nameless' by everybody. I had thought of a name only a couple of minutes later, but the 'Nameless' seems to had stuck...

Other funny/joke names my characters have had:

'Peaceboots Newmist' immediately comes to mind. She was an Elven rogue and I rolled the name on a random name generator for elves....

Silak the Sexecutioner is another such a name. I play several RL campaigns in English and have a penchant for naming my characters in Slovak using an atribute that represents them well. Silak, when translated, means the strong one. His second name was to by Silny (meaning strong - in Slovak the resultant expression makes sense), but one player christened him the Sexecutioner and it stuck...

The interesting thing is that all of these three characters were in the same campaign. Out of four characters I have gone through so far in the campaing three have strange/funny names... hmm. The only one that had a 'normal' name was the original character - Jaris. We do, however, have a high turnover rate for characters in this campaign - one PC death per session seems to be the standard - occassionally we have nobody die and sometimes more than one PC bites the dust.

Judas

First Post
Let's see, some of the various names I've heard in our groups.... (That I can remember)

Rellima Evah (backwards)
Gene Eric (a Cleric)
Sall Good
Dozen T. Matter

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
For my bachelor party, we ran a D&D game in which we each played the oldest character we could find. My brother's was from when he was so young that he could barely write; on the back he drew an elf, but it looks like a Santa elf, except that it's laden down with swords and other pointy things and saying "I'LL KILL YEW".

The closest my brother could come to finding a name on this character sheet was "Human Fighting Man," so that's what my brother called him. Later in the night, he ran afoul of a wand of polymorph and was turned into a monkey, at which point my brother announced he was now "Monkey Fighting Monkey"!

Also, a player in my Porttown campaign is playing a halfling cleric named "Ralph Tossbucket".

Last edited:

francisca

I got dice older than you.
I have a Cleric of Kord in Living Greyhawk named Harvey Wallbanger (after the drink).

All of the power-gamers, and their "Silas Moonshadow" and such named characters, hate that name. :D

Normally, I like more "fantasy" sounding names, though I often ham up NPCs when I DM: Gam Stoker, Brother Maynard (skip a bit, brother), etc...

Jolly Giant

First Post
As I mentioned earlier, we generally avoid joke names in our group. I just remembered another exception, though: Sir Smitesalot. A paladin, obviously.

Remove ads