• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Move and then charge, or *only* charge in a round?

Ninja-to

First Post
In the Rules Compendium it says you can't take any *further* actions after charging. It clearly says that after you charge you cannot then do anything else (except a free action), which is fine.

The problem is, it doesn't say you can't do a move action, and *then* charge as your standard. It seems the order is important, at least as far as the RAW:

Move, then Charge = Ok.
Charge, then move = Not ok.

However, a player in my group seems to think that if you decide to charge in a round, that is all you can do. For example, you can't shift and then charge, or move to a better spot and then charge.

Anyone know where it says he's right? Or is he wrong? I've read and re-read the Charge rule and it lists Charge as a Standard (not a full round) and says 'no further actions'.

Last edited:

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
The reason you're not finding anything saying you can't is because there's no problem with Move then Charge.

Ask your player to point out the specific written entry where it says you can't move before a charge. Odds are he's putting words into the rule that aren't actually there.

Brad

On Puget Sound

First Post
move is a move action
charge (which includes both "move your speed" and "make a MBA") is a standard action.

yes, you can do both in a turn. The charge must, however, be the last action of your turn.

the Jester

Legend
You can indeed move-then-charge in 4e.

Your player is probably conflating the 3.x rule, in which charge is a full round action or partial charging/surprise charging is a standard action.

Breaks

First Post
Semi related question -- lets say I move, charge, then action point and make another standard action attack. Do I still have a minor action available?

Vartan

First Post
Sure, but you cannot use it.

I believe you can. From Rules Compendium, p. 198:

If a creature has any action points (page 235), it can take an extra action on its turn by spending an action point as a free action.

After the start phase of your turn you can take the three main actions; take any number of free actions; and spend an action point. You can take these actions in any order, or can skip any one of them.

the Jester

Legend
You could use your minor action with your action point-granted action, but otherwise, charging ends your ability to use your remaining actions for the rest of your turn.

Remove ads