Movies based on the Cthulhu mythos?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Henry said:
Re-animator and I Have No Mouth but I Must Scream probably came closest to the atmosphere of the short stories...

GAH!

What was I thinking?!?! Re-animator was a piece of dung! The Resurrected (1992) was the one I was thinking of - quite a good film, actually.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
DMH said:
Which one had Peter Cushing?
None, that I know of. I was going to say Die Monster Die (which is admittedly not Cthulhu and based on "The Colour Out of Space"), but that was Boris Karloff. He was in The Creeping Flesh, which, at least to me, was sort of Lovecraftian.

Templetroll

Explorer
Henry said:
GAH!

What was I thinking?!?! Re-animator was a piece of dung! The Resurrected (1992) was the one I was thinking of - quite a good film, actually.

Hmm, a freudian slip there, perhaps? :eek: ;) Re-Animator did have grossly funny scene with the girl captured by the semi-dead guy. :eek:

I like "The Dunwich Horror" but I also am a fan of Sandra Dee. It does accurately portray the creepiness of the Whatley family and lousy security of Miskatonic University Library.

Last edited:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Yeah, I think the Dunwich Horror is underrated. I mean, you're not going to be able to find a 9 foot person to do a literary duplicate of Wilbur Whatley. But for creepiness, it's hard to be beat Dean Stockwell, he certainly has the goat like big covered. And the same with the flashbacks with the hippies - that certainly creeped me out.

I also love the introductory music. Sort of an evil version of the themes from 60s romantic movies. It's hardly a great movie, but it's decent.

DMH

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
None, that I know of. I was going to say Die Monster Die (which is admittedly not Cthulhu and based on "The Colour Out of Space"), but that was Boris Karloff. He was in The Creeping Flesh, which, at least to me, was sort of Lovecraftian.

I remember him in a scene where he speaks of Yog-soth-oth with some other people. I thought it was based on Charles Dexter Ward but could be mistaken.

Andre

First Post
Frukathka said:
I am looking for a near complete list of all the movies made based on the Cthulhu mythos. Does anyone know where I can find one?

The Unnameable has Cthulhu-esque references, tho I don't know how close it is to the real stories. Fun, in a "bad horror movie" kind of way. And it does have John Rhys Davies in it.

Andre said:
The Unnameable has Cthulhu-esque references, tho I don't know how close it is to the real stories. Fun, in a "bad horror movie" kind of way. And it does have John Rhys Davies in it.
oh God, I saw that one... the closest it had to anything by LPH was a character named Randolph Carter, IIRC, and a mention of Miskatonic U. and Arkham.... and there was the sequel too...

you know, I don't remember LPH having so many bare breasted women in his stories...

Storm Raven

First Post
Henry said:
Cast a Deadly Spell had Big C. himself, crawling out of a fissure. A bit cheesy on the special effects (it was like 1990, I think), but it was a remarkable homage to quite a few of the Lovecraft elements, but put in with a twist that is VERY similar to the RPG. I'd swear whoever wrote the movie had been playing the RPG, with the combination of dark and humorous elements present in the movie. I haven't see a movie to rival its feel ever since.

Re-animator and I have no mouth but I must scream probably came closest to the atmosphere of the short stories...

Wasn't I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream a short story by Harlan Ellison?

Remove ads