• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MtG System

Midnight Dawns

First Post
Does anyone know of a system or conversion for a Magic the Gathering setting? The best I have found is one that uses the cards but I was hoping for one that worked without them. Has anyone done this themselves? If so what were your experiences?

the Jester

Legend
You're talking about converting MtG to D&D?

I haven't seen anything but have used pictures from Magic cards as illustrations from time to time.

Asmor

First Post
I've done...

Ravnica as a setting for D&D 4e
Slivers as a group of monsters for D&D 4e
Zendikar as a setting for Savage Worlds (including color-based magic system)

Here's a link to those: Encounter-a-Day Magic: the Gathering

I've never used the 4e stuff, just made it. I did run a very short-lived game in Zendikar on Google Wave, but I can't really comment on that. Way too short, and the experience was affected a lot more by the medium than the content imho.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Not seen anything for the setting, but a while back there was a fan made setting 3.5 that adapted the coloured mana system for D&D. I'll try and remember the name of it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
When WotC took over D+D there was lots of fan speculation they were going to somehow merge it with MtG - use Dominaria as the default setting, for example; or have D+D become partly a card-based game - and at the time they were adamant they would not do this.

To their credit, in the intervening 12 years or so they've stuck by their guns: MtG and D+D are still completely separate, as far as I know.

Lan-"I have far too many Magic cards - is Cardhalla happening at Gencon this year?"-efan

DragonLancer

Adventurer
When WotC took over D+D there was lots of fan speculation they were going to somehow merge it with MtG - use Dominaria as the default setting, for example; or have D+D become partly a card-based game - and at the time they were adamant they would not do this.

To their credit, in the intervening 12 years or so they've stuck by their guns: MtG and D+D are still completely separate, as far as I know.

I had always hoped that D&D would make it's way into MtG. I'd love to have had Beholders, Mind Flayers and other classic D&D monsters, characters and artifacts in Magic.

Asmor

First Post

Lan-"I have far too many Magic cards - is Cardhalla happening at Gencon this year?"-efan

I had always hoped that D&D would make it's way into MtG. I'd love to have had Beholders, Mind Flayers and other classic D&D monsters, characters and artifacts in Magic.

Indeed, alas they've been quite adamant that the two shall never mix.

Unofficially, I'm pretty sure the reluctance is entirely on the Magic side of the equation; they're worried about watering down the brand and/or any negative connotations D&D might bring.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads