• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Muahahaha! (Evil "Kingmaker")

Derfmancher

First Post
As I stated here my group has scraped our kingmaker run in exchange for a custom built "evil" kingmaker. My issue is that I need something for them to do!

To this end we have created a new campaign (or rather I am putting one together now) where the characters are all LE, NE (no CE yet). They are still building a city, although they are starting with one off the bat. They are also starting at level 5.

So I am starting them with a small village, all the perks of level 5, some magic items I assign them, and a walking pathfinder encyclopedia. They know nothing about what is around the village (they liked the exploration somewhat) and they are already in leadership roles. We will be using the kingmaker kingdom building rules, along with some things from the core book and the Book of River Nations.

In the party there is:
  • Sylph, Bard Archaeologist. Afraid of heights. He will be our Grand Diplomat.
  • Human, Hellknight (General?/Councilor?)
  • Undine, Inquisitor Converter. Will specialize in the creation of Golems. I She will be the Warden/(Torture Master?) of our new village/city.
  • Human, Wizard Unilateralist. Dabbles in Illusions for the purpose of pranks. He will be the Magistar/(Treasurer?) of our new village/city.
  • Knight of the Sepulcher. He/she will be the Ruler of our village/city.
  • "Bird-who-kills-silently" aka "Bird". Tengu, Rouge Sniper, soon to be member of the Red Mantis. A raging kleptomaniac, even for a tengu. He will be the Royal Assassin(Spymaster?) for our village/city
My reason for posting all this? I need ideas for what to do with them! The bard is likely to take over as DM at some point, but he wants me to run it for a while seeing as I know the group.

My ideas so far:

A red dragon wants the area for his new home (it would be a semi-young red, not the crazy cr 26 stuff)
A graveyard that is being sanctified by a order of clerics and their fighter guards. (potential for new citizens, and a long term enemy)
During the exploration of their kingdom they come across a cave that is the lair of a local branch of "do gooders" (it would be a converted temple, something they did in their kingmaker run.)

Patterns in the party conversation so far:
Undead are welcome in the city
Any enemy is likely as to be conquered as it is to be allied.

Thoughts?

Loonook

First Post
As I stated here my group has scraped our kingmaker run in exchange for a custom built "evil" kingmaker. My issue is that I need something for them to do!

So I am starting them with a small village, all the perks of level 5, some magic items I assign them, and a walking pathfinder encyclopedia. They know nothing about what is around the village (they liked the exploration somewhat) and they are already in leadership roles. We will be using the kingmaker kingdom building rules, along with some things from the core book and the Book of River Nations.

In the party there is:
  • Sylph, Bard Archaeologist. Afraid of heights. He will be our Grand Diplomat.
  • Human, Hellknight (General?/Councilor?)
  • Undine, Inquisitor Converter. Will specialize in the creation of Golems. I She will be the Warden/(Torture Master?) of our new village/city.
  • Human, Wizard Unilateralist. Dabbles in Illusions for the purpose of pranks. He will be the Magistar/(Treasurer?) of our new village/city.
  • Knight of the Sepulcher. He/she will be the Ruler of our village/city.
  • "Bird-who-kills-silently" aka "Bird". Tengu, Rouge Sniper, soon to be member of the Red Mantis. A raging kleptomaniac, even for a tengu. He will be the Royal Assassin(Spymaster?) for our village/city
My reason for posting all this? I need ideas for what to do with them! The bard is likely to take over as DM at some point, but he wants me to run it for a while seeing as I know the group.

My ideas so far:

A red dragon wants the area for his new home (it would be a semi-young red, not the crazy cr 26 stuff)
A graveyard that is being sanctified by a order of clerics and their fighter guards. (potential for new citizens, and a long term enemy)
During the exploration of their kingdom they come across a cave that is the lair of a local branch of "do gooders" (it would be a converted temple, something they did in their kingmaker run.)

Patterns in the party conversation so far:
Undead are welcome in the city
Any enemy is likely as to be conquered as it is to be allied.

Thoughts?

Well depends... I mean, are we playing Snidely Whiplash Evil, Black Company "Extremely Dark Grey with shades of Granite" Evil, or "Devils have better plumage" evil?

The idea of a cave as a lair for do-gooders works... But how are they controlling Unrest? Personally I'd take their old 'good' group and make them the Rebel leaders in the area. They establish a floating kingdom, no actual seat of operations, and play something other than Lawful Stupid. The Good Guys can be just as mean as the Bad Guys when they're doing it for the Greater Good... And they may actually face off against more Neutral foes and provincials from the surrounding Kingdoms deciding this was a bad choice ;).

Slainte,

-Loonook.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
My group is somewhere in the middle of the second module of Kingmaker right now, so I don't know all the details of the AP.

The classic scenario is to have a group of "do-gooder" adventurers come to town to free the citizens from the yoke of their evil masters. So if you run the temple scene, be sure to have at least some of the good guys escape. Nothing motivates players like escaped enemies!

Also, you can probably use the regular encounters from Kingmaker for much of the plot: bandits, monsters, animals rampaging....

Derfmancher

First Post
Thank you both of you.

So far it is a combo of LE and NE PC's. I think I am going to set up a neighboring good kingdom without a seat.

Their good party never made it past level 3, so I don't think I will use them directly.. but the flavor will surely be there. :D

triqui

Adventurer
We played the regular Kingmaker, and my CE sorcerer did pull the group to a lot of questionable choices. The group was mostly CN, quite like the River Kingdoms rules (some of those rules, like "you own what you can defend" are actually into the CE borders). The KM campaign actually tends to this questionable moral ground: the players can (and sometimes are even expected to) ally with Kobolds, Lizardmen, Boggarts, and raging barbarians. In our game, the DM introduced a young Black Dragon (son of Illthullak) that was recruitable, although not easily (and he claims the Slogh anyways). A group of Lawful Good characters will find difficult to keep their alignment while making deals with CE frogs that worship a demon lord.

You should take a look to The Way of the Wicked. It's a 3rd party AP, so far the 3 first books are out (up to lvl 13). It's an awesome AP, superior to some of the Paizo ones in my opinion, very well conceived, and has a lot of good suggestions about how Evil Campaings should work. The plot itself is very good too.

Derfmancher

First Post
Tomorrow is our first full session that will mark the start of this campaign. Being that the party likes the exploration, I have prepared some of that, and will use the AP to generate more. If they go looking for something in particular, they will find a temple full of do-gooders. (A journal they might be able to translate will tell them the do-gooders where seeking a semi-known black dragon in the area.

Remove ads