Multiclass Vengence Paladin for Curse of Strahd or no?

RulesJD

First Post
Ah didnt realize you where doing a great weapon path. Gwm as a feat in general isnt very good, the bonus action swing is rare at best, and doesnt comba well with your smite spells. The -5+10 is unreliable at best and because of your smites any fight where this is useful you will not need the extra advantage. I'd say skip it and grab warcaster BB as a reaction and adv on your concentration saves is massive. Booming blade will actually out-damage extra attack usually and especially after level 5.
-math-
2d6+3+1d8=15.5
Lvl3 with gwf
2d6+3+2d8=20
Lvl5
-vs
2d6+3=11
4d6+6=22
A difference of 2 damage after extra attack if they stay adjacent, if they move add 4.5-9 damage.

Also you get to do some silly nova turns with a bit of setup. Turn before after you swing cast thunderous smite, then quicken a booming blade as a bonus actian and cast another one as normal. Youll have to move for the second one but youll do 6d6+4d8s+3 in one turn and if they move add 4d8. Because of the enemy control it gives you booming blade is far better than extra attack.

Please don't listen to Kithas's advice.

1. Reation attacks are extremely rare without PAM or Sentinel. So is forcing an enemy to move without eating an Opp Atk yourself, at least as a Vengeance Paladin.

2. His math is horribly wrong. Here is the real math:

Booming Blade
Levels 1-4: 2d6 (Average 8.33 with GWF) + 3 = 11.33 damage. If the target moves, add 1d8 (4.5) = 15.83 damage.

Levels 5-10: 2d6 (Average 8.33 with GWF) + 3 + 1d8 (4.5) = 15.33 damage. If the target moves, add 2d8 (9) = 24.33 damage

Regular
Levels 1-4: 2d6 (Average 8.33 with GWF) + 3 = 11.33 damage.

Levels 5-10: 4d6 (Average 16.66 with GWF) + 6 = 22.66 damage.

GWM
Levels 1-4: 2d6 (Average 8.33 with GWF) + 13 = 21.33 damage.

Levels 5-10: 4d6 (Average 16.66 with GWF) + 26 = 42.66 damage.

Simply put, there isn't even remotely a comparison. As a V-Pal, you get short rest rechargeable advantage. USE IT. So many V-Pals forget to use it. Oath of Enmity + GWM = dead BBEG. Additionally, BLESS!!!! Sweet baby jebus Bless yourself. Right from the get go Bless helps turn the tide in favor of GWM for enemies with AC 15 or less right from level 1. At level 4 when you boost STR (if you want damage) and then at level 5 with proficiency boost you're good at AC 16-17. If you Oath of Enmity an enemy, definitely use GWM.

Don't get me wrong, don't GWM on every strike, and definitely pick up BB/GFB (Greenflame Blade is significantly better because it doesn't rely on enemy movement and adds your Cha bonus). Kithas is absolutely correct that the SCAG cantrips help a ton. But without a way of generating Opp Atks, Warcaster would be a waste compared to GWM.

G

Guest 6801328

Sentinel is also a great v-human Feat, depending upon party composition. There will be a lot of undead, so cast Prot from Good and Evil on yourself: the bad guys will have Disadvantage attacking you, and get hit by your reaction attack if they attack anybody else.

I'm not really planning on tanking much. I'm a variant human who took PAM as the feat, but we actually haven't exactly started the game yet so I could still change it.

Kithas

First Post
I'm not really planning on tanking much. I'm a variant human who took PAM as the feat, but we actually haven't exactly started the game yet so I could still change it.
So at this point it vould be helpful for you to post your full build. With limited info our advice may not be applicable. Also it's not clear to me if youve played your first session or not, your first post sounded like you had but this one does not. It would be good to know a little about the rest of your party if you have that too.

Last edited:

So at this point it vould be helpful for you to post your full build. With limited info our advice may not be applicable.

I haven't really committed to anything beyond Human Paladin so far.

I stand right now as Human(Variant) Paladin 1:

Str 16
Dex 8
Con 14
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 16

Polearm Master feat

I'm leaning towards Paladin 8(Vengence) Sorcerer 2 at this point, taking at least 1 level of Sorcerer early. Booming Blade plus reach seems like it could work. Take GWM and +2 Strength, not sure what order.

As I said though, we start in earnest next week and I haven't committed to anything beyond Human Paladin.

Kithas

First Post
I haven't really committed to anything beyond Human Paladin so far.

I stand right now as Human(Variant) Paladin 1:

Str 16
Dex 8
Con 14
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 16

Polearm Master feat

I'm leaning towards Paladin 8(Vengence) Sorcerer 2 at this point, taking at least 1 level of Sorcerer early. Booming Blade plus reach seems like it could work. Take GWM and +2 Strength, not sure what order.

As I said though, we start in earnest next week and I haven't committed to anything beyond Human Paladin.
Gotcha. What is your desired role in the group? Damage dealer, support, or tank ace the main very broad roles.

P.s some of my numbers where off on the math earlier i had a lot on my plate today and that was quite rushed, I wont edit it since its been up half a day, but if youd like I can redo them.

Last edited:

Gotcha. What is your desired role in the group? Damage dealer, support, or tank ace the main very broad roles.

P.s some of my numbers where off on the math earlier i had a lot on my plate today and that was quite rushed, I wont edit it since its been up half a day, but if youd like I can redo them.

Primary role damage, not really tanking but will front line in a pinch, not really bothering with support at all but the aura at 6 is very good.

Kithas

First Post
Primary role damage, not really tanking but will front line in a pinch, not really bothering with support at all but the aura at 6 is very good.
Gotcha, with variant human you have a lot of options. Firstly Id advise gfb instead of booming because the area of effect is better if you aren't wanting them on you. That said you cannot use it as an opp attack via warcaster so that means that feat's out. In my opinion since you are starting with pam just nab 2 stat boosts and ignore hwm. Generally it's useless in fights you wouldnt already win. On paper it's crazy but in practise it isnt worth your limited resources.
As far as when/how much to do sorc. You want those cantrips asap and level 1-2 spells will go a long way ho keeping you aliwe in a pinch. 6/4 would be my split. Start at level 3 with 2/1 then 2 more after 6 (5/1). The 2 big cantrips are going to be sword burst and your choice of ranged option. With the prevalence of vampires Chill Touch is excellent. Sword burst will be very useful if you get surrounded and helps shore up that weakness for you. Once you get to 3 in sorc make sure to get Blur even if youre only tanking somenimes it will save you a lot of time an the floor. I hope that helps!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Please don't listen to Kithas's advice.

This is the second time I've see you use this construction, and it's coming off pretty badly both times.

Please don't tell people who to listen to. Present your argument and let the audience make up their own minds.

GrumpyGamer

First Post
re: When to pick up off levels

Keep in mind that Greenflame blade does not become useful against a single target until 5th. Other cantrips get a second die at 5th level.

I would go 4 paladin / 1 off class so that you get the cantrips at 5th level, or wait until after you get your 6th level aura and go 6 / 1.

Boomingblade + Polearm is a bit of a special case and maybe start level 1 Sorcerer for it... after all that Con save proficiency can be very useful.

Remove ads