• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Multiclassing: A pathological extreme

Horwath

Legend
I would allow to extra attack classes stack their levels for extra attack. But just for 1st extra attack. Any extra is just fighters excusive.

so lvl1 barbarian,fighter,monk,ranger,paladin, would sum up 5 total levels in "extra attack classes" and would have extra attack feature(2 attacks).

ccooke

Adventurer
Good point, [MENTION=53176]Leatherhead[/MENTION] - nice reworking.
30.5 average damage isn't actually bad, especially since you're pretty much guaranteed to have the spell slots available to cast hex every combat. I should definitely have worked that in the first time. I don't think I'd read over the Warlock or Ranger much at that time.

The new SCAG cantrips definitely help, but I'd still consider a character like this interesting to play without them.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I'm thinking there should be a secret addendum for DM eyes only, that unlocks secret levels when players multiclass in specific orders.

What super-special class level do you get if you go Bard, Sorcerer, Sorcerer, Bard, Rogue, Rogue?

Or when you do Ranger, Warlock, Paladin, Warlock, Ranger?

---

In the first case, probably something on the "stolen magics" theme. A class level that lets you deliver your spells on ranged sneak attacks perhaps?

In the second case, the Gaia level that reveals your patron as nature itself and allows you to turn all energy damage into irresistable and therefore unstoppable "verdant" damage?
I'm totally on board for a Final Fantasy Tactics addendum to the multiclassing rules. :)

Greenflame blade and martial arts don't work together. But hex and sneak attack work well enough.
So 3d8+1d6+1d6+2 at level 11 and another 3d8+2 vs an off target seems useful enough. 23.5 average vs first target and 15.5 against another one looks well enough.
If you use the UA arcana ranger it is 2 more damage usually. I would recommend that because the phb ranger only adds a language and another skill and 2 situational abilities at level 1.

If you want to use draconic unarmored defense you by raw would have to be sorcerer first... but I would be lenient here since the multiclassing rule was missing most of the playtest and seems to be only added because people purposefully misread how those defenses not stacked...

Overall a very playable character. Especially if you carefully pick your classes that make it to second level later. Fighter action surge. Barbarian reckless attack. Warlock agonizing blast. A nice wizard school. And of course paladin divine smite fuelled by high level spells will make you something like a powerhouse even though your stats are low.

Edit: Your spell slots can be used for high levelled armor of agathys. And you can use reckless attack all the time for extra fun. And if you really want to deal damage to a single fire resistant target and have more fun with your temporary hp, rage and martial arts can be combined for 2d6+4 + 1d4+4 damage for an average of 17.5 damage. I think you can't concentrate on hex while raging.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

transtemporal

Explorer
I'm gonna vote "playable, but your team will hate you". Your companions will be throwing 6th level spells and multiple attacks with ss or gwm. At that point, your guy is dead weight.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
I wouldn't call him dead weight. He has something for every situation. With two levels in Warlock, his Eldridge blast is every bit as good as any warlock's, so that gets around the multiple attacks. Plus he can heal as well as most, has a cantrip for any situation, and has out of combat utility out the wazoo. Oh, and martial arts, so he can still do an extra attack as a bonus action if he wanted. he literally has something for every situation.

Zardnaar

Legend
There is a skill monkey build where you become proficent in every skill and key everything off eldritch blast. Its something like rogue1/warlock2/lore vard 3/knowledge cleric 1 and then add whatever.

You end up with expertise in 4 skills iirc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads