• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Multiclassing: A pathological extreme

I meant to mention something before but forgot:

Before I continue - let's agree that the pathological example is a terribly optimised character. It would be utterly trivial to optimise at least a little - different first class, different subclass options, but there's certainly going to be a limit. It's not, actually, ever going to be a great build. When I built the example at the start, I was going for fun choices that made for something interesting to test out the multiclass rules as I understood them at the time. I'm still tempted to play such a character, but I would not play this one. For a start, heavy armour is entirely resonable for this character, since they have several routes to qualifying for it (Cleric subclass is, of course, probably the easiest) and they could easily take the Defense style and concentrate on cantrip damage most of the time. However, that's not the example as I created it, so let's ignore that and take the AC as I created it - 17. I will change the spell selections slightly (After all, people have been using Hex as an example)

BTW, no, they can't really wear heavy armor unless they can somehow manage to find non-metallic heavy armor. One reason druid is such a problematic multiclass combo is that unlike any other class, multiclassing to druid actually removes capabilities you would otherwise have had. (Arguably Paladin of Devotion is similar--it removes your ability to lie--but you were probably playing that character with an truthful ethos already anyway or you wouldn't have been planning on making him a Paladin.)

Druids IME always wind up wearing AC 12 Hide Armor and maxing out at around AC 16 w/ Dex 14 and a shield. At unarmored AC 17, Pathological's AC is probably already about as high as it's going to get without spell buffs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads