• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Multiclassing: A pathological extreme

ccooke

Adventurer
So I've been thinking about the 5e multiclassing rules and how they seem to be far better at avoiding broken characters than 3e.

Here, then, is an attempt to stress test the concept by creating a valid, legal 12th level character with one level of each base class, in order. You can even do it in point-buy - multiclassing requires one or more stat to be 13. Multiclassing into every class requires you have a 13 in everything except CON... and since 13 is 5 points, you can get 13,13,13,13,13,10 in exactly 27 points. Take the human, and you have +2 across the board.

Some highlights from the character:
AC 17 (No armour, Shield)
S: 14, D: 14, C: 10, I: 14, W: 14, Ch: 14
71 hit points, 1d12 + 3d10 + 6d8 + 2d6 hit dice
Skills: Acrobatics +6, Arcana +10, Insight +6, Investigation +6, Nature +10, Perception +10, Religion +6, Stealth +10, Survival +6, Thieves tools +6
Passive Perception: 20
Rage 2/day, adding 2 temporary hit points and doing +2 damage on a hit
Bardic Inspiration given on a bonus action, 1d6 2/day
Second Wind 1/short rest healing 1d10+1 damage
Three unarmoured defence features. He'll use the Draconic Bloodline Sorceror one, since that gets his unarmoured AC to 15 (13 + DEX)
Favoured Enemy: Orcs, Goblins
Divine Sense
Fighting Style: Archer (+2 to hit with ranged weapons)
Lay On Hands (5 points)
Martial Arts attack on a bonus action for 1d4
Sneak Attack 1d6
Languages: Common, Druidic, Thieves' Cant, Orcish, Elven, Draconic, Dwarven, Undercommon

Spell Slots:
  • 1st level: 4 + 1 warlock slot (which recovers after a short rest)
  • 2nd level: 3
  • 3rd level: 3
Arcane Recovery (1 spell slot of 1st level) once per day

(One particular set of choices for) Spells Prepared:
  • Cantrip:
    • Prestidigitation
    • Light
    • Thaumaturgy
    • Guidance
    • Spare the Dying
    • Druidcraft
    • Shillelagh
    • Fire bolt
    • True Strike
    • Minor Illusion
    • Acid Splash
    • Eldritch Blast
    • Poison Spray
    • Shocking Grasp
    • Ray of Frost
  • 1st Level
    • Cure Wounds
    • Healing Word
    • Disguise Self
    • Bane
    • Bless
    • Detect Magic
    • Inflict Wounds
    • Entangle
    • Longstrider
    • Thunderwave
    • Shield
    • Magic Missile
    • Comprehend Languages
    • Sleep
    • Command
    • Identify

Spells are cast through the use of an entirely wooden one-handed spell focus recorder carved with holy symbols. He has proficiency playing this instrument.

Obviously, there's no Extra Attack and no second or third level spells, so that's a major loss of power. But that's an insane number of cantrips and 1st level spells the character has access to - what he lacks in power he's making up in versatility. There's a certain amount of skill monkeying available, too - effectively he has Expertise on four skills including Arcana, which with an effective bonus of +10 means he can automatically succeed on an attempt to cast a cantrip or 1st level spell from a scroll, and manage a 2nd level spell with a roll of 2 or higher.

Damage-wise, he can go for attacks with a Longbow:
+8 to hit, 1d8+1d6+4 damage (16 damage average, 18 if raging)
Or Cantrips:
Fire Bolt: +6 to hit, 3d10 damage (16.5 damage average)

So the question: Is this character playable?

gyor

Legend
This reminds me of the Factum class from 3.x

And yes you can play this, abit its not great, in fact I would advise against, but thanks to prof rules, you want completely suck, just very very subpar choice.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The character seems playable, which is good, But:

Since stat increase (and optional feats) are tied to class this guy is missing out on +6 (or more with straight fighter) to his stats or 3 feats (again more with straight fighter).

Put another way most other characters will be sporting a 20 in their main stat and likely at least a 16 in a tertiary stat by 12th level. Other characters will have some serious feat mojo.

This guy will be lagging behind. Even a character that didn't go this extreme will be a bit behind (10/2 for ex. will be one stat bump/feat behind).

So you really are giving up A LOT for the increased versatility!

ccooke

Adventurer
Presumably the first level was Bard?

Actually, no, what am I saying? Fighter, Rogue, Druid, then Bard.

(Also, I want to play this character right the :):):):) now)

Actually, no - pathological example, see.

It's each class in order. Alphabetical, as they appear in the book.

You could optimise for different things by changing that; more skills if you started Bard (at the cost of 7 fewer HP) for instance.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Actually, no - pathological example, see.

It's each class in order. Alphabetical, as they appear in the book.

You could optimise for different things by changing that; more skills if you started Bard (at the cost of 7 fewer HP) for instance.

It was a historical joke. No need to take it so seriously. In 1st edition you got a bard by going fighter/rogue/druid in that order

Edit: and sorry for explaining the joke I just needed to point it out.

ccooke

Adventurer
It was a historical joke. No need to take it so seriously. In 1st edition you got a bard by going fighter/rogue/druid in that order

Edit: and sorry for explaining the joke I just needed to point it out.

Now I feel stupid; I should have spotted that one.

On the other hand, it was about 2am. This will be my excuse. Yes.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
This reminds me of the Factum class from 3.x

The Factotum was probably my favorite base class in 3.5.

[MENTION=6695890]ccooke[/MENTION] Your math is off. Rage doesn't work on longbows. In fact, Hex may be better over all because it adds 1d6 damage per hit.

Shortsword + Dueling style + Sneak attack + unarmed strike bonus action, while using hex:
(1d6+{sword}+2{str}+2{Dueling}+1d6{Sneak}+1d6{Hex}) +(1d4{kick}+2{STR}+1d6{Hex}).
(3.5+2+2+3.5+3.5)= 14.5 (2.5+3+3.5)= 8 so 22.5 using a +6 bonus on each attack.

As for the longbow you would get
+8 attack , 1d8(longbow)+1d6(sneak attack)+1d6(hex)+2 (dex)
Or 4.5+3.5+3.5+2= 13.5

Realistically you are looking for eldritch blast.
(1d10+1d6)x3 for 27 points of damage.

No, wait, that's still wrong.
Greenflame Blade+ Shortsword+[-] martial arts[/-]+ Hex +Dueling Style
{1d6(Sword)+2d8(greenflame)+1d6(sneak)+1d6(hex)+2(dex)+2(dueling)}+[-]-{1d4(kick)+1d6(hex)+2(dex)}[/-]
{3.5+9+3.5+3.5+2+2}=22.5 [-]{2.5+3.5+2}=8.[/-] Which is 22.5 average damage, and an additional 2d8+2 greenflame damage to a target that happens to stand next to your target in melee.

If you can somehow get your attack bonus up to +9, such as by using a girdle of giants str, you will be decidedly on par.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
In 1st edition you got a bard by going fighter/rogue/druid in that order
I'm thinking there should be a secret addendum for DM eyes only, that unlocks secret levels when players multiclass in specific orders.

What super-special class level do you get if you go Bard, Sorcerer, Sorcerer, Bard, Rogue, Rogue?

Or when you do Ranger, Warlock, Paladin, Warlock, Ranger?

---

In the first case, probably something on the "stolen magics" theme. A class level that lets you deliver your spells on ranged sneak attacks perhaps?

In the second case, the Gaia level that reveals your patron as nature itself and allows you to turn all energy damage into irresistable and therefore unstoppable "verdant" damage?

Remove ads