• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclassing, Skill Trainining, and Rangers thoughts and oddities.

N0Man

First Post
I have to admit that I'm not really very excited by how multiclassing works in 4E. It seems lacking in general. I think that the single best use of multi-classing is to use it to pick up a single skill from another class rather than using the Skill Training feat.

For the cost of 1 Feat, you can either pick a single skill to gain as a class skill through the Skill Training feat, or spend that 1 feat to get the basic multi-class feat and throw in a Daily or Encounter power for free. Every skill seems to be available through at least one of the multiclass feats.

However, one quirk of this seems to be that it's heavily weighted towards Rangers. Every skill can be picked up through a multiclass feat by 2 or more classes, except the following which can only be picked up by multiclass feat of a single class:

Acrobatics: Ranger
Bluff: Warlock
Dungeoneering: Ranger
Nature: Ranger
Perception: Ranger
Stealth: Ranger

5 out of 6 of these can only bought through multiclassing by multiclassing as a Ranger.

Not only that, the Hunter's multiclass power is arguably the very best power gained from multiclassing, since the Quarry lasts until the target is dead or the encounter ends.

To me, it looks like Ranger will be the obvious multiclass of choice for any min-maxer.

Edit: Before someone realizes I can't count to 6. ;)

Last edited:

N0Man said:
Not only that, the Hunter's multiclass power is arguably the very best power gained from multiclassing, since the Quarry lasts until the target is dead or the encounter ends.
Errataed :
WotC_Miko said:
The table also references "designate prey" for the ranger, which should be Hunter's Quarry. (And as official "real" errata for Warrior of the Wild: it should be "once per encounter UNTIL THE END OF YOUR NEXT TURN, you can use the ranger's Hunter's Quarry feature". Just like Sneak of Shadows, it's meant to give the extra striker damage for 1 round per encounter. )

N0Man

First Post
Well thanks for the clarification. With that Errata, the Sneak Attacks becomes significantly better than the Hunter's Quarry. Though, I still think it's odd that so many skills can only be picked up in Multiclassing if you multiclass a Ranger.

Edit: Oops! After re-reading it, I do see it's until the End of your NEXT turn, so that means they can hit with it twice, and do potentially the same bonus damage as the Rogue.

Last edited:

Traken

First Post
MindWanderer said:
I actually felt that Ranger multiclassing was weak, because it can't get you into a Ranger paragon path.
At first I was going to prove you wrong... but all of them require a style of fighting the feat doesn't give you.

So when's the next version of the Ranger multiclass feat?

I think we may have a leader in "Most Errataed thing in 4E!" Polymorph beware...

N0Man

First Post
MindWanderer said:
I actually felt that Ranger multiclassing was weak, because it can't get you into a Ranger paragon path.

Well after the Errata, it's not nearly as powerful... However, I have a feeling that bit will make the Errata as well. It doesn't make much since that they would allow Warlocks a pact choice, but not give Ranger's a style.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I wonder whether there would be any noticeable impact from eliminating the 'class feature' requirement for the ranger paragon paths, and just have 'class' (like most of the other paragon paths)?

SableWyvern

Adventurer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
You can't multi into Rogue to get Stealth? How odd.

Multiclassing into Rogue gives you Thievery, instead of a choice from amongst the rogue skills.

If you changed multiclass feats so that you got a pick of any class skill, you'd have two or more options for every skill.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads