• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2E Multiclassing unveiled... through archetypes.

mellored

Legend
This could.works. The auto-scaling feats solve a number of problems

Honestly, I'm tempted to take it a step further and drop "classes" and just use these feats. I will have to try it out as a houserule.

That said, the big issue of multiclassing is ability scores. A bard/wizard is going to struggle to keep the scores competitive.

mellored

Legend
Neat! If I understand this correctly, it just requires investing a series of feats in order to become increasingly multi-classed (similar to my absolutely favorite thing about 4E).

The only issue I can see is if feats can otherwise be spent to become more powerful, such that these are in competition against those. That was what absolutely killed about 90% of the feats in PF1, was that ten minor flavor effects couldn't compete with +10 AC.
In 4e, it was pretty common to take a multi-class feat over other feats. Not nesiccaraly any of the follow up feats, but the "dedication" feat was pretty strong.

Also, I haven't seen any +number feats. Which means the options should be more interesting.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
In 4e, it was pretty common to take a multi-class feat over other feats. Not nesiccaraly any of the follow up feats, but the "dedication" feat was pretty strong.

Yeah, IIRC Multiclass Feats were strictly better than skill training Feats. Almost all of my 4e characters took at least one MC Feat.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Yeah, IIRC Multiclass Feats were strictly better than skill training Feats. Almost all of my 4e characters took at least one MC Feat.

Skill training was never worth a feat IMO. If you wanted a skill training, you were always better off taking a multiclass feat instead.

houser2112

Explorer
I'm not happy with the multiclassing rules, as I said on the "Just one more week thread" because I didn't realize this one had been made:

houser2112 said:
mellored said:
houser2112 said:
You can no longer be a Fighter x/Wizard y; You will be a Fighter x with some wizard tacked on, or a Wizard y with some fighter tacked on. Essentially, multiclassing is an archetype and dipping is dead.
Eexcept, you still kinda can.

You can be a fighter with X Fighter feats and Y Wizard feats.
And many class features are now feats, so you can mix and match.
Not really. You can take the feats that they publish, but they don't compare well to the actual class features. Look at how these feats gimp you:

BASIC WIZARD SPELLCASTING
Archetype
Prerequisites Wizard Dedication
Add two level 1 spells to your spellbook. You gain a single level1 spell slot that you can use to prepare a level 1 spell from your spellbook. At 6th level, add two level 2 spells to your spellbook, and you gain a level 2 spell slot that you can use to prepare a level 2 spell from your spellbook. At 8th level, add two level 3 spells to your spellbook, and you gain a level 3 spell slot that you can use to prepare a level 3 spell from your spellbook.
Even though you can cast spells, the spell level of your cantrips and arcane powers is half your level rounded up.
ADVANCED ARCANA
Archetype
Prerequisites Basic Arcana
Gain one wizard feat. For the purposes of meeting its prerequisites, your wizard level is equal to half your level.
Special You can select this feat more than once. Each time you select it, you gain a new wizard feat.
Not only are you dependent on the feats as they are written against the features themselves, but you are constrained by how often you get feats to gain those "features". You also can't abandon a class to go in a different direction.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not happy with the multiclassing rules, as I said on the "Just one more week thread" because I didn't realize this one had been made:

Given the nature of Pathfinder's genesis, I am amused at how Paizo seems to be working hard to recreate WotC mistakes in community relations.

houser2112

Explorer
Given the nature of Pathfinder's genesis, I am amused at how Paizo seems to be working hard to recreate WotC mistakes in community relations.

I don't think they're making the same mistakes WotC did with community relations as far as disparaging people who liked the previous edition. They're certainly dropping the ball at "making a game that 3.PF fans like", though.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Remember, there are multiple categories of Feats now. So, since you get some kind of Feat once every level and two different kinds of feats on even levels, you total 30 Feats overall at 20th level (40 for rogues). But that's not exactly useful information, because you can only take certain types of Feats at certain levels.

What's more useful to know is that you get 10 Class Feats, 10 Skill Feats (20 for rogues), 5 General Feats (which can be used to take additional Skill Feats if you want) and 5 Ancestry Feats. Class Feats are the ones you swap for Archetypes, including Prestige Archetypes and Multiclass Archetypes.

Looks to me like most of the power gamey builds are going to go rogue for the 20 skill feats and use class feats for multi-class options.

KB

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Looks to me like most of the power gamey builds are going to go rogue for the 20 skill feats and use class feats for multi-class options.

KB
Maybe, but I expect full casting progression will be more powerful than extra skill feats. I expect to see a lot of spellcasters multiclassing into other spellcasting classes for even more spells.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Maybe, but I expect full casting progression will be more powerful than extra skill feats. I expect to see a lot of spellcasters multiclassing into other spellcasting classes for even more spells.

Specially Sorcerer-Bard and Cleric-Druid, as they share casting stats. Later Witch-wizard once we get witches

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads