• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiclassing XP penalties

Verdigris

First Post
I was just reading the rules for multi-classing and I noticed that there are substantial penalties for multiclassing in the form of the cumulative 20% penalty for having too large of a discrepancy between your levels. The book mumbles some excuse about it being "difficult" to juggle the responsibilities of a new class when you're already highly competent in another area. (Ignoring the fact that inexperienced third level characters with 1 level of three different classes seems more "difficult" than a high level bard learning to sneak around like a rogue, or an archmage learning to use a sword like a fighter...)

What's the *real* reason for this penalty? Is it just to slow down all the people who would obtain too many classes? It seems to me the penalty of not gaining higher level powers in your classes is already substantial. An additional penalty strikes me as unecessary. Should I care about this rule?

CrimsonTemplar

First Post
I seem to recall the same penalties for having too great a disparity between you various classes in 3.0 as well. I also seem to recall that as long as you kept your classes with in 2 levels of eachother you were ok and received no penalties.

I believe the real reason it to discourage front loading of feats. Not that that sort of thing doesn't happen with PrClasses or anything. Of course, you can house rule it that you can't take more than 2 PrClasses with a single character (I plan on it).

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Remember that there are exceptions to the rule: your favoured class will never cause you these penalties.

To the rule itself: I think it's the usual way of D&D 3. Multiclassing with high discrepancies is something that isn't easy. In AD&D you couldn't decide the ration of your levels, the xp were divided equally. In D&D 3 they allow you to to it, but you will get penalties for it.

Also Remember: If you don't like it, just ignore the rule IYC (or ask the DM to do it). As long as the people don't start "cherry picking" abilities to much, it's OK. (But I advice that humans get something extra in this situation, since their more liberal favoured class choice is an important part of their racial package).

DM2

First Post
It's also there for a bit of world flavor. By default, they set up the core races to favor certain classes that are typical of classed members of the race.

So, for instance, many elves will have a little wizard in them (if not a lot), along with their normal (possibly main) class. This results in a race where magic is common.

Humans' highest class is their favored one, so you see a spectrum of classes among humankind.

DM2

Voadam

Legend
It is to drive you to fit a few models of character archetype.

1 straight class

2 even class split in multiclassing

3 one of the above plus some racial favored class levels.

it also drives to a fourth one that I think they did not really intend but is a consequence of the mechanism

4 taking only two levels in a number of classes.

I don't think it would hurt to remove the multiclassing penalties, and humans will do fine with their bonus feat and skills.

Remove ads