Multiple Personality Trigger...

fixxxer101

First Post
Hello everyone. SO I am DMing a campaign. A player has come to me with an idea of multiple personalities. So we decided to roll a D12 to see how many Personalities to have. LOL. His character of course has 12 personalities. We are running the 2nd edition Night Below campaign but I have modified it for 5E. Anyways, we then rolled another D12 to see how many personalities he knows about. It came up to 3. So he is making his 3 personalities that he knows about, and I have already made the other 9. LOL, This has been fun since we have decided that this is a curse, so his physical form changes as well. We also agrees that his character has known about this condition for a long time so he is prepared with a bag of holding with gear for the personalities he knows of. Now, the ones that he doesnt know about are going to be fun. A Half Giant Rouge, a Gnome Barbarian that is a germaphobe, and many others that will be fun to see as he is an amazing roleplayer. His original character is going to be a Homebrew Peasant. Anyways, our issue is the trigger. What triggers him to change a personality? We need something that doesnt happen a lot, but isnt super rare either. This trigger will help us with his back story. Each personality has been assigned a number. When the trigger hits, I will roll a D12 and that is the character his character will become. So does anyone have any ideas for what the best trigger would be?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
To riff off [MENTION=1732]Gavin[/MENTION]'s idea: triggers are usually related to stress. Having to do meaningful things with repercussions if they fail (the only time you roll d20s), really does make it sound like you should trigger on some d20 roll.

But a 1 means that it always triggers on failure. With 12 personalities, I'd trigger the change on a 12. Sometimes it's a success, sometimes a failure. But it's a good reminder of what makes this character special.

I'd also probably have a random roll whenever they wake for what personality is in control.

You may also want to tie it to flaws, bonds, etc. Maybe one personality is scared of the dark, and will flee when in darkness. Another is very maternal and will come to the fore if children (or halflings) are threatened, etc.

Remove ads