murder in mind...

Davelozzi

Explorer
I only skimmed the thread, but I don't think anyone has pointed this out yet...

For inspiration, or for complete scenarios that you can run, check out the two Eberron murder mysteries that have been published in Dungeon. The most recent issue (#129) featured "Murder in Oakbridge" and issue #115 featured "Steel Shadows".

Child of Hypnos

First Post
Davelozzi said:
I only skimmed the thread, but I don't think anyone has pointed this out yet...

For inspiration, or for complete scenarios that you can run, check out the two Eberron murder mysteries that have been published in Dungeon. The most recent issue (#129) featured "Murder in Oakbridge" and issue #115 featured "Steel Shadows".

I live in UK wont be able to get #129 for about a month. I'll hunt down a copy of #115 though..

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Multiple murderers can be nice, especially if you use the tried and true double switch: Murderer 1 kills Murderer 2's indended victim, and Murderer 2 goes after Murderer 1's intended victim.

People have already pointed out there are numerous ways to track a killer via magic...

What NOBODY has pointed out is how a killer can USE magic.

D&D is full of PCs that can move through walls like a ghost, teleport, become invisible, animate the dead, create magical explosive traps, produce blades of psionic energy at will, use magic items or spells to kill from a distance, or even hop across dimensions like a kid playing hopscotch...

Any of which is perfect for an NPC to use directly (kill target personally) or indirectly (hire an assassin).

And if the killer is a spellcaster, the Still spell feat will make it impossible for someone using Divination spells to see who is laying the spell on an item.

Silence will make sure the murder goes undetected for some time.

Disintigrate will do so as well, either as a spell or in the form of a little black sphere...

Dumping the body into the Otyugh's midden lair will do a good job of concealing evidence.

Green Slime doesn't care if its meal was dead before it got to it.

Portable Holes can be used for body parts, as can H's Haversacks.

And, of course, let us not forget death by Amulet of Angry Panda Attraction...

LostSoul

Adventurer
Child of Hypnos said:
any more suggestions? i think what's heres fairly comprhensive but...

I don't think the follow-the-clues mystery adventure is all that great. If your players miss a clue, or if they have to do something in order to keep playing the adventure, your game could bog down.

The trick is to not make the game about the murder (which I consider the backstory), but about what the players decide to do with the information they get.

I can't think of any examples. What do your players want to do? That is, why are they going to be interested in the murder? I might be able to think of some examples knowing that.

Child of Hypnos

First Post
they're a mercenary lot - admittedly only one has the Charachter background of being a merc, but theyre all in it for either money or Power. - i figured i have someone they know murdered and if that doesnt work ive got another method - the classic 'it might be me next' hook.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
LostSoul said:
I don't think the follow-the-clues mystery adventure is all that great. If your players miss a clue, or if they have to do something in order to keep playing the adventure, your game could bog down.

It's important to have multiple avenues, I think, that can lead to revelation. If one clue gets missed, there are alternatives.

I ran a one-shot a while back that was effectively a detective case - find out what's going on in the city, and put a stop to it. The problem was that the PCs were cartoony and bloodthirsty (at one point, two of the players stopped mid-sentence, looked at each other, and both erased the 'CN' on their sheets to write 'CE') - which was a lot of fun, but also meant that some of the important clues got lost when the NPCs who might be able to answer questions were brutally slaughtered.

In a couple of cases, a semi-allied necromancer was able to get some answers out of the bodies. But the wrap-up - where the PCs intercepted agents of the BBEG who'd come to collect some bodies and return to his Secret Lair - was severely endangered when those agents were (you guessed it) brutally slaughtered... making it harder to follow them back to the secret lair.

I had a backup plan - a little kid whose house overlooked the graveyard, and who'd seen them making these pickups before, and knew where the cart went afterwards. Unfortunately, the PCs thought the kid was spying on them, and before he could pass on this information, he was (yup) brutally slaughtered.

On the fly, I figured that the ponies pulling the cart had made this round trip so many times that they knew the way, and started to head back to the Secret Lair all by themselves... fortunately, the PCs realised this was their chance, and the ponies survived long enough to get the PCs to the climactic encounter... :)

-Hyp.

Remove ads