• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Music and DND!!

Plot-Device

First Post
I'm curious what musics other use. Do you have special combat music?...exe
My group used to use a few movie sound tracks but we are sick of them now and I'm looking for new ideas.

Michael Morris

First Post
Plot-Device said:
I'm curious what musics other use. Do you have special combat music?...exe
My group used to use a few movie sound tracks but we are sick of them now and I'm looking for new ideas.
www.khinsider.com has a load of downloadable video game mp3's, many of which are remastered. They work well.

the Jester

Legend
The Conan soundtrack, the 300 soundtrack, loud aggressive music (heavy goth, Nightwish, old good Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc)... sometimes whatever.

PhantomNarrator

First Post
Sure do!

I personally love music at the gaming table, so long as it doesn't get too loud.

Which is too bad, because aside from the usual soundtracks, I like to make compilations for each session that include a lot of Heavy Metal. I usually favor the Power, Progressive and N.W.B.H.M. bands over the other subgenres like Glam, Doom, Black, Death and Thrash - although I'll sometimes include one or two songs from the latter four to vary things a bit. They make great themes for the monsters and villains.

For the most part, however, I stick with the more heroic and epic stuff, like Dio, Manowar, Helloween, Symphony X, Iron Maiden, Dragonforce, Rhapsody, Iced Earth, etc. For darker stuff I like to go with Black Sabbath, Opeth, Mercyful Fate, Overkill, Testament, Sepultura and a whole lot more. Also, while it's not exactly metal, God Speed You Black Emperor has some great long tracks that are very atmospheric.

Finally, I round things out with some Beethoven, Wagner and other symphonic works.

Meloncov

First Post
radiorivendell.com is wonderful, both for the radio itself and its list of links to legal free music downloads. The page is down at the moment, but it should be back up in a couple hours.

Eldragon

First Post
In addition to the various VG music sites listed above, I strongly recommend going to your Local Public Library and checking out the Classical music section. Focus on early music and Baroque, and avoid anything written after 1700. Operas will frequently be 2 or 3 discs are usually quite well done.

Why do I like it? I find Video Game music to sometimes be distracting, and/or overly orchestrated. I also like it because the style of the music more closely matches the time period for which D&D tries to emulate.

Remove ads