Must wizards pay for their 'per level' spells?

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I do not see much merit in singling out one particular wizard feature for special restrictions.

The wizard has implicitly been working on these two spells for weeks, months, or even years. It just so happens that his scribblings in his spellbook became usuable after some finishing touches one morning. Cost and time are a nonissue because wizard has already implicitly spent time and xp in order to get these two measly spells. They are not coming 'out of the blue' any more than the fighter's new HPs.

Last edited:

Davek

First Post
The way I handle 'free spells' by both wizards and sorcerors is that they need to alert me 1 level in advance of gaining them what spells they are researching. That way the spells don't appear just out of the blue. There is no additional costs (GP or Time). I do tend to be generous with available spells however, especially in regards to new spells that they have created from scratch Sorcerors can know unlimited self-made unique spells for their level (but they have to spend the time and money researching the spell and these spells must be written down in a spell book at least once although they don't need the spell book to memorize them) and Wizards can memorize 1 additional spell per day/spell level of self-made unique spells for their level.

The way I handle 'free spells' by both wizards and sorcerors is that they need to alert me 1 level in advance of gaining them what spells they are researching. That way the spells don't appear just out of the blue. There is no additional costs (GP or Time).

Huh. That seems like a very fair and equitable way to handle it. I'll talk to my DM and see if he'll swing that for subsequent levels.

Thanks!

-Femerus

Remove ads