• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mutants and Masterminds: The Heroes of Freedom [Recruit, Check Waiting List]

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
garyh said:
I'll be picking up the book Tuesday and starting on a PC then. I'm thinking speed and/or psychoportation powers. Basically, mobility would be his schtick.
Sounds good to me garyh, besides if you don't get to book till today maybe I'm not running as far behind as I thought I was. :D

So everyone knows what’s been going on with mine my concept has been emailed... I need to fix my powers and flush out my background/origin some. Hopefully I can knock it all out tonight. :)

I do have a few questions if someone can help me out as I've not had much luck on the M&M message board.

If you take a flaw you get 10 points back to spend on character development correct?

Say you take ESP, 5 ranks, with the limitation of sight only, it would basically be a complete wash, 10 PP for the power and ranks, and -10 for the limitation.

Now what if you take a "extra", that's also a power, and you want to give it a limitation, do you get the 10 points back on it also?

I'm thinking yes or it would never be worth it to take extras but I'm not sure to be honest...

Aust Meliamne

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
Sounds good to me garyh, besides if you don't get to book till today maybe I'm not running as far behind as I thought I was. :D

So everyone knows what’s been going on with mine my concept has been emailed... I need to fix my powers and flush out my background/origin some. Hopefully I can knock it all out tonight. :)

I do have a few questions if someone can help me out as I've not had much luck on the M&M message board.

If you take a flaw you get 10 points back to spend on character development correct?

Say you take ESP, 5 ranks, with the limitation of sight only, it would basically be a complete wash, 10 PP for the power and ranks, and -10 for the limitation.

Now what if you take a "extra", that's also a power, and you want to give it a limitation, do you get the 10 points back on it also?

I'm thinking yes or it would never be worth it to take extras but I'm not sure to be honest...
The way I look at it so I don't get confused, i start with the base power, ESP costing 2pp per rank, then I apply any flaws I want, say sight only, at -1pp per rank, then I apply any extras I want, say Interdimensional, at +1pp per rank, for a total pp cost per rank of 2 pp (2pp base power -1 for flaw +1 for extra). Then using that adjusted cost (after all flaws and extras) I buy however many ranks I want up to my power level.

So, no a flaw doesn't necessarily give you a flat -10 points and an extra doesn't cost a flat +10 points. Flaws lower the cost per rank of a power by 1 per flaw, and extras raise the cost per rank of a power by 1 per extra (except in the case of other powers as extras. In that case, the base power is adjusted up by a number equal to the extra'ed power minus 1 [for example, adding Super Wisdom to ESP would modify ESP up by 2pp per rank {3pp base for Super Wisdom -1 for being an extra} instead of the normal +1 for typical extras])

I hope I made sense, but probably just confused you more. ;)
Email me at Aust@nc.rr.com if you need any help.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
No I think that makes sense... I have my books here at work but can't get into them right now...

So to limit my confusion, what gives the -10 PP back? (besides a flaw at 10 power levels)

Victim

First Post
A weakness gives back 10 pp regardless of power level. Weaknesses are applied to the character as a whole. For example, ES2's weakness makes him vulnerable to Electrical attacks. However his nanites alter his body to make it super tough, it's still loaded with the eletrically vulnerable nanites.

A flaw reduces the cost of a specific power. For example, Tokiwong's mystical amulet contains a bunch of fighting powers. The Device flaw reduces the cost of his main power group (the Strike + Super Dex + Leaping + Combat Sense + etc thing) by 1 point per rank. He has 10 ranks of the power, so it also saved him 10 points. Then, he also applied the Device flaw to a bunch of feats too. Feats normally cost 2 points (the same as 1 rank in a power) and the Device flaw reduces the cost of each feat by 1, so he spends 1 point per feat tied to the amulet.

Essentially, flaws are tied to a specific power. The value of the flaw depends on the rank in the power. Weaknesses are a problem for a character as whole.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads