{Mutants & Masterminds} United Heroes Limited Series

Black_Swan

First Post
These Villains Are the Best!

I know this probably isn't what you're looking for but I love the fact that your villains get away. I've been cheering for Bombadier the entire time.

I love his style!

Granted I don't want the heroes to lose...but man o' man your villains are just the coolest.

I can't wait for the next post!:cool:

Insight

Adventurer
Issue #10 - "Chaos" (Continued)

-The Conclusion-

***** Round Thirteen *****

{Barracuda, Surge, Torpedo, Mana, Harpy, Pathfinder, Iron Dragon, and Acrobat Ace arrive and get to roll initiative. Barracuda gets 13, Surge gets 23, Torpedo gets 10, Mana gets 13, Harpy gets 18, Pathfinder gets 7, Iron Dragon gets 19, and Acrobat Ace gets 28. They are assimilated into the current initiative order.}

"Yeah, we're here," Acrobat Ace said as he arrived at the Chaos Engine. "Uh, where are the bad guys?"

He spotted Seraphim and Lodestone tussling atop the Chaos Engine structure, and then spotted Surge arriving to help out the villains' side. Oh, no you don't! Acrobat Ace thought and cruised up the mountain, chasing Surge.

{Acrobat Ace gets a Spot check (DC 20) to notice that the Chaos Engine is unstable, but fails with 11. He assigns +1 to his DEF against all foes (Dodge feat). He double-moves 100' up the mountain.}

Arriving at the top of the mountain and base of the Chaos Engine, Surge shouted, "Die, heroes!" and blasted Seraphim with a bolt of lightning. It hit the angelic hero, but Seraphim's protections seemed to make the lightning bolt ineffective.

{Surge assigns +1 to Defense (Dodge). He gets a Spot check (DC 20) to notice that the Chaos Engine is unstable, but fails with 9. Surge uses Free Actions to activate both his Force Field and Energy Field. Using the non-area version of his EB, Surge blasts Seraphim (DEF 22) and hits with 24. Seraphim's Force Field (10) is greater than Surge's EB (8), so nothing happens.}

Hmm... Trickster observed. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that the Chaos Engine looks to be in bad shape! Perhaps a tactical retreat is in order.

The illusionist, unseen by the arriving heroes, sped away quickly. On his way to the shore, where he might have doubled back to the castle, Trickster spotted DEMA helicopters arriving.

How can this be? he wondered. One of those blasted heroes must have told them about my island!

He hid in some bushes, well out of sight, given the dark conditions. I'll have to think of another way to escape. Perhaps...

{Trickster gets a Spot check (DC 20) to notice that the Chaos Engine is unstable, and succeeds with 28. He double-moves out of the area.}

"We must destroy this device," Iron Dragon warned. "The villains will face justice momentarily. DEMA agents are landing on the island."

The Asian hero focused on his Tamishiwara technique, and struck the Chaos Engine, smashing a huge hole in one of the fuel tanks. Raw uranium spilled onto Iron Dragon, but he resisted any damage - for now.

{Iron Dragon uses his Corrosion power on the Chaos Engine. He gets a Spot check (DC 20) to notice that the Chaos Engine is unstable, but fails with 15. Iron Dragon attacks the structure (DEF 1), hitting with 20. The Chaos Engine gets a Damage save (DC 25), and fails with 13. It loses a point of Hardness to 6.}

"Iron Dragon's right," Harpy added. "Focus everything on the Chaos Engine! I'll try to do something about these bad guys!"

She concentrated on Lodestone, high above the others, doing battle with Seraphim. Assaulting the rocky villain with mental energy, Harpy tried to bring him down, but failed.

C'mon, Seraphim, Harpy thought. Leave him alone and go for the Chaos Engine!

{Harpy uses a Free Action for Leadership. She gets a Spot check (DC 20) to notice that the Chaos Engine is unstable, but fails with 11. Harpy uses Mental Blast on Lodestone (adj. DEF 16), but misses with 15. She moves away from the Chaos Engine 30' as a Half Action.}

Mana noticed that something was not quite right with the device in front of her. Iron Dragon's attack must have damaged the Chaos Engine. Perhaps we can finish it off right now.

She chanted a few magic words and a blast of eldritch energy pummeled the spot just above where Iron Dragon had punched a hole in a fuel tank.

{Mana gets a Spot check (DC 20) to notice that the Chaos Engine is unstable, and succeeds with 21. She uses her Energy Blast on the Chaos Engine.}

"I'm not done with you yet," Barracuda declared, rushed to his nemesis, Torpedo, with claws flying. He bit down on the Atlantean hero's neck, drawing more blood.

{Barracuda charges 30' at Torpedo (DEF 21) and hits with 27. Torpedo gets a Damage save (DC 26) and succeeds with 26.}

Torpedo, running strictly on adrenaline now, slugged Barracuda in the midsection, knocking the wind out of the villain, and continued up the mountain towards the Chaos Engine.

{Torpedo attacks Barracuda (DEF 13) and hits with 13. Barracuda gets a Damage save (DC 18) and fails with 15. Barracuda takes a Stun Hit. As his other half action, Torpedo moves another 30' up the mountain.}

Lodestone concentrated his efforts on the Chaos Engine. What was readily apparent to the eye was that the device was in bad shape from a structural standpoint. The scientist in Lodestone made him wonder whether or not the Chaos Engine would still function, and what it might do when it did function.

One of the fuel cells has been punctured, Lodestone realized. There is a distinct possibility that the Engine could explode. I can stop it for now, but I will need some help.

Lodestone concentrated his magnetic powers on a damaged section and repaired it. He then turned toward Seraphim and gave the angel a magnetic blast which turned out to be ineffective.

{Lodestone makes a Science check (DC 20) to see what's wrong with the Chaos Engine, and succeeds with 21. He realizes it might explode, so he makes a Repair check (DC 25) to fix it, but fails with 17. Lodestone blasts Seraphim (DEF 22) and hits with 22. Seraphim gets a Damage save (DC 15) and succeeds with 21.}

"It seems that some of my allies are here," Seraphim announced to Lodestone. "You should give up now."

"Never," Lodestone retorted. "I can hold this together myself, certainly long enough for Trickster to distract your friends and keep them busy."

Seraphim laughed. "That's where you're wrong! Where is your leader, anyway?"

Lodestone did not see Trickster anywhere. Did he flee? He did see Surge, however, at the base of the Chaos Engine.

"Surge," Lodestone called out. "Use your electrical powers to help me stabilize this thing!"

While Lodestone was momentarily distracted, Seraphim again plunged the Sword of Truth into the Chaos Engine.

"No!" Lodestone called out. "Stop it, you'll --"

Just then, a 'minor' explosion shot out from atop the Chaos Engine. The blast sent debris flying everywhere, and clipped a DEMA helicopter traveling too close to the action, causing the craft to crash into the ocean.

{Seraphim gets a Spot check (DC 20) to realize the Chaos Engine is unstable, but fails with 19. He attacks the Chaos Engine (DEF 1), hitting with 22. The Chaos Engine gets a Damage save (DC 24), but fails with 21. Its Hardness drops one more point to 5.}

"The Chaos Engine is in bad shape, my friends," Pathfinder observed. "We must escape before it explodes!" The Native American hero fled the scene, hoping to find cover that might protect him from harm, not knowing of course what the Chaos Engine might do.

{Pathfinder gets a Spot check (DC 20) to notice that the Chaos Engine is getting ready to explode, and succeeds with 34. He double-moves down the mountain, traveling 60' away from the Chaos Engine.}

***** Round Fourteen *****

{The Scoundrel arrives and gets to roll initiative. He gets 24, so he goes before Surge and after Acrobat Ace.}

"He's right," Acrobat Ace said. "I don't like the looks of this thing. I'd advise everyone to get the heck away from it." With that, Acrobat Ace took off like a shot. Speeding down the mountain, he didn't even stop to notice that the Scoundrel had arrived. Ace continued past him to a grove of trees, from where he could still see the Chaos Engine.

{Acrobat Ace gets another Spot check (DC 20) to notice that the Chaos Engine is unstable, and succeeds with 21. He uses a Free Action for Leadership to warn others to get away. Acrobat Ace sprints 1000' away from the mountain.}

"Hey, guys," the Scoundrel said as he arrived at the scene. He saw DEMA helicopters cruising the island with spotlights. "Looks like I missed all the fun."

He saw Pathfinder running down the side of the mountain. "Hey, feathers! What's going on?"

Pathfinder stopped momentarily. "The Chaos Engine is about to explode, I believe."

Then, the pair saw a DEMA helicopter crash nearby.

"We'd better see if there are any survivors," Pathfinder suggested.

The Scoundrel sped into the shallow water where the copter crashed, and Pathfinder would not be far behind.

{The Scoundrel sprints 300' away to the crash site.}

Using his electrical powers, Surge powers up some systems belonging to the Chaos Engine. "Do you really think this will help?" he asked Lodestone.

"Yes," Lodestone replied. "Keep at it."

Then, Surge noticed Harpy, the heroes' leader, creeping too close to him. He turned and fired a bolt of lightning her direction, but the agile Harpy dodged the attack.

"Keep back, lady!" he said.

{Surge gets a Spot check (DC 20) to notice that the Chaos Engine is unstable, but fails with 4. He tries to 'aid another' on the Repair check (DC 10) and succeeds with 20, so Lodestone will get a +2 bonus to his check. Surge fires his Energy Blast at Harpy (DEF 19), but misses with 18.}

I'm not certain that I shouldn't stay here and aid Seraphim in destroying this device, Iron Dragon considered.

He looked up at the winged hero. "We can destroy the Chaos Engine if we work together!"

Seraphim, seeing that the Chaos Engine was indeed in seriously bad shape, replied, "No, you should try to escape with the others! I can handle this!"

Confused, but certainly unwilling to go against his leader, Iron Dragon fled for cover. Seraphim deserves our respect, that's for sure! I don't know that I would want to take on that responsibility on my own.

{Iron Dragon double-moves 60' down the mountain as his action.}

I can't let you do this alone, Harpy sent telepathically to the angel.

I am not alone, Seraphim replied. I have faith on my side. I will destroy this terrible device. There can be no other outcome!

I know you believe that, Harpy responded. But I have a hard time leaving you here. That thing could explode at any moment.

It's a chance I'm willing to take for the good of all, Seraphim thought. You must understand this, I am empowered by Heaven's grace. I have nothing to fear, if I am acting for a just cause.

Feeling Seraphim's resolve, Harpy could not help but be emboldened and she fled for the nearest cover, hoping that it wasn't too late.

{Harpy communicates telepathically with Seraphim. She uses her other Half Action to move 30' away from the Chaos Engine, behind some trees.}

I am unsure what the rest will do, Mana thought. But I must consider my own safety first. She incanted words of power and disappeared from the Chaos Engine, appearing at the base of the mountain.

Spirits be with you, Seraphim!

{Mana teleports 160' away from the Chaos Engine as her action, ending up just at the base of the mountain.}

"Everyone's running away from the device!" Barracuda astutely observed. "I ain't no fool!" Launching himself off the side of the mountain, Barracuda enabled his cybernetic glider wings and sailed towards safety.

{Barracuda jumps off the mountain, using his Flight/Gliding to get him safely to the ground.}

Torpedo also observed that everyone seemed to be fleeing the impending explosion. He looked for cover and found Pathfinder running towards the ocean. That seemed to make sense to the Atlantean, so he too decided to run for the water.

{Torpedo double-moves 60' down the side of the mountain.}

I can hold it together! Lodestone thought, steeling himself in his resolution. He flew back from the device and concentrated his magnetic powers on holding everything together. Despite his best efforts, small explosions within the structure started turning into larger ones on the edges of the Chaos Engine.

"Seraphim," Lodestone called out. "You are doomed. You cannot possibly stop us now. We are past the point of no return!"

{As a Half Action, Lodestone flies 50' away from the Chaos Engine. He attempts a Repair check (DC 20), but fails with 14.}

The angel unaware that the device was about to explode ignored Lodestone and continued to whack at the machine. Out of the corner of his eye, Seraphim saw that Lodestone was still holding the Chaos Engine together, but just barely. While he did not share Lodestone's scientific background, Seraphim could now see that the Chaos Engine was holding on by a thread.

He looked toward the sky, and clouds parted in the space right above the Chaos Engine, showering Seraphim and the top of the Chaos Engine in divine light. The angel felt more empowered than ever and held aloft his Sword of Truth.

"Justice be done this night!" Seraphim called out, striking the Chaos Engine with a mighty blow.

{Seraphim gets a Spot check (DC 20) to notice that the Chaos Engine is unstable, and succeeds with 21. Seraphim uses Extra Effort to add +2 to his STR bonus for this round, and then attacks the Chaos Engine (DEF 1), hitting with 31. The Chaos Engine gets a Damage save (DC 24) and fails with 10. It's going to explode!}

Pathfinder continued moving toward the site of the DEMA helicopter crash. As he arrived, he turned toward the mountain.

"Something bad is about to happen," Pathfinder said ominously.

{Pathfinder sprints to the helicopter crash site as his action.}

***** Round Fifteen *****

{Electrostatic arrives, but not in time to do anything about the explosion. He is at the base of the mountain (150' away) at the time of the explosion.}

Electrostatic stood, dumbfounded, at the base of the mountain, observing the scene before him. "Um, I think I might be a little late..."

Note: I'm using the Massive Damage option for the explosion of the Chaos Engine since it's a huge explosion and a plot device -- editor

The detonation of the Chaos Engine came at 7:31 PM Pacific Time.

An explosion covering the entire island and some 8 miles of ocean rocked everything and everyone in the vicinity. In the air, several DEMA helicopters experienced a turbulence unlike any they had seen before, but the pilots were able to land their crafts for the most part with no significant injuries.

At ground zero, things were a lot different. Surge and Lodestone, being very close to the blast, had little chance to avoid injury. There was no cover, and they were hit directly with debris and concussive force. Both villains were badly injured and knocked out cold.

Just down the mountain, Electrostatic, Mana, and Torpedo were far enough away from the blast to react in time to save themselves serious injury. Of these, only Torpedo was hurt, as Electrostatic and Mana both had their various protections engaged. Torpedo, relying only on his own toughness, proved not quite tough enough, but survived.

The rest watched the blast and, while impressed with the sheer power of the explosion, were none the worse for it. Debris scattered all over the island and into the ocean, pelting everyone within the affected area with something or other.

{The Chaos Engine explodes. It inflicts Lethal Damage, with an area effect. Within 20', the Damage save DC is 45. After 20', the Damage save DC drops by 1 for every 5' of area. Everyone gets Reflex saves against the effect. Seraphim and Surge are closest, and are the only ones within 20' of the blast. Both get Reflex saves (DC 40) to halve the Damage bonus. Seraphim gets 21 and Surge gets 20 -- both fail. Now, each character gets a Damage save against the effect. Surge gets a Damage save (DC 41) and fails with 22. He is now Disabled. Lodestone gets a Damage save (DC 45) and fails with 26. He is Disabled. Seraphim gets a Damage save (DC 35) and fails with 13. He spends a Hero Point to re-roll, and this time gets 16. He is now Dying. Harpy, being 30' away but behind cover, gets Reflex save (DC 38) to halve the effect, and succeeds with a natural 20! She now gets a Damage save (DC 29) and fails with 19. She is Stunned and takes a Lethal Hit. Electrostatic also gets a Reflex save (DC 14) to halve the effect, and succeeds with 25. His Protection of +8 soaks the resultant Damage bonus of +2, so he doesn't need to make a Damage save. Mana, standing right near Electrostatic, is in the same boat. She gets a Reflex save (DC 14) to halve the effect, and succeeds with 18. Her Force Field soaks the resulting damage bonus. Torpedo, who also made it to the base of the mountain at the time of the explosion, gets a Reflex save (DC 14) to halve the effect, but fails with 11. He gets a Damage save (DC 19), and he fails with 16, so Torpedo takes a Lethal Hit. Pathfinder, the Scoundrel, and Acrobat Ace, being more than 300' away at the time of the explosion, are unaffected by the blast.}

But what of Seraphim, the hero who dealt the final blow to the Chaos Engine?

Following the explosion, as the debris settled and DEMA crews started searching the island for survivors, Mana teleported Torpedo and Electrostatic to the top of the mountain, at ground zero.

"Where is Seraphim?" Electrostatic demanded of an unconscious Lodestone, kicking the downed villain.

"I don't see him anywhere," Mana said.

"Perhaps he escaped before --" Torpedo said, halted in mid-sentence by a discovery. "Here he is..."

Torpedo pushed aside girders and rock, revealing a white-feathered wing. "Here, help me!"

Electrostatic rushed over, and shoved what he could aside. "Listen, uh, I'm not the strongest guy on the team, ya know..."

What's going on up there? Harpy demanded via telepathy, communicating with Electrostatic.

We found Seraphim, Electrostatic replied. Are you OK? I was worried...

Never mind me, Harpy answered. How's Seraphim?

Hard to say, Electrostatic replied.

"Allow me," Mana said, and incanted a few words of power, causing the remaining debris atop Seraphim to rise into the air. "Pull him free."

Torpedo and Electrostatic retrieved Seraphim, but seemed unconscious at best.

Mana tossed the debris aside. "How is he?"

Neither Torpedo nor Electrostatic responded. They just carried him down the mountain, where they were met by Harpy, Iron Dragon, Pathfinder, the Scoundrel, and the rest of the United Heroes.

"Seraphim!" Harpy called out as she rushed to see the listless winged hero. She placed a hand on his forehead and concentrated, seeking any sign of life. A tear trickled down one cheek as Tabitha Harper sank in place.

"No, no..." she sobbed. They all knew what had happened.

The rest of the heroes stood and watched, knowing that victory always has a price...

Watch for the Prologue, Coming Soon!

Insight

Adventurer
Just a Quick Note

When this is all done - hopefully by next week some time - I'm going to compile the whole thing into an MS Word document for easier consumption, especially when this thread makes its way to page 3, 4, and so on down the line.

OK back to the action.

:D

Insight

Adventurer
Issue #10 - "Chaos" (Continued)

Prologue

Seraphim held the Sword of Truth high, awaiting the final moment to strike the Chaos Engine, bringing the terrible device its final destruction. He looked up and saw the sky above him part, and rays of sunlight bathed him and the top of the Chaos Engine where he stood. It was a moment of divine providence, giving Seraphim the signal he needed.

Is this too perfect? Seraphim wondered. Can all of my sins be undone with this one act?

He looked around. The world seemed frozen in the moment. I am a being of faith, but my faith wavers at times. Am I alone in this among my brethren? Perhaps that's why I was cast out.

"You are not alone," a calm voice said from behind the angelic hero.

Seraphim turned to see another of his kind, Thetis, floating just above the surface of the Chaos Engine.

"All beings of conscience have crises of faith," Thetis said. "Angels are no different from anyone else in that regard."

"But I have done... terrible things in the name of Heaven," Seraphim replied. "My divine powers... I don't know that I deserve them."

"What's done is done," Thetis said. "You must not dwell on the past. Mortals make mistakes all the time. Should those who watch over them be any different?"

"But I should be better than that, Thetis," Seraphim countered. He saw Lodestone and Surge using their powers to sustain the Chaos Engine, and the device would soon begin a chain of events that would shake the Earth.

"You have a decision to make, I see," Thetis said.

"Odd," Seraphim replied. "I don't see that I have any decision at all. My resolve is true. This terrible device will be destroyed by my hand this day!"

"In destroying this device, you will be sparing the lives of countless millions," Thetis said. "And in doing so, you will also destroy your own mortal form."

Seraphim shot Thetis a look. He had not considered his own safety, a quality prized among angels.

"Yes, Seraphim," Thetis continued. "You will be judged once again, as you were when your first life ended."

Seraphim looked upon his weapon. "No doubt, I will be ascended," he said.

"For this act?" Thetis replied. "Perhaps. Is that the only reason you're doing it, now that you know you will be destroying in doing so?"

"You're testing me," Seraphim shot back.

"I'd watch that temper if I were you," Thetis answered. "Besides, it is not me that is doing the testing."

The angelic hero looked down, observing the damaged Chaos Engine beneath his feet. "You're right, of course. If I do this only because I know I'll be saved, then perhaps I'm doing it for the wrong reason."

"It is a question of conscience," Thetis replied. "You alone can make this decision. Which route will you take?"

With that, Thetis disappeared. Seraphim was alone in his thoughts. In a few moments, time would spin on, and he would have only a second or two to make up his mind.

"For Heaven's glory, I strike at thee!" Seraphim said as he plunged the mighty Sword of Truth into the Chaos Engine for the last time.

In a split-second, Seraphim felt electricity from the broken Chaos Engine rush through his body. He barely felt it, though, even as his mortal form died from the overload. He saw a vast explosion, covering most of the island in debris, but Seraphim felt nothing. In moments, he could see his mortal shell, ripped to pieces, laying beneath him. The angel was floating, and ascending.

Farewell, friends, he thought as he disappeared from existence.

The last of the DEMA helicopters landed, and troops began to file out in formation. They would search the island for survivors, villains first, then seek out any wounded heroes.

Scientists in biohazard suits also came forth from the helicopters, equipped with various sensory equipment.

Col. Johannsen of DEMA Special Projects, a man in his late 40s with a background in civilian affairs, walked up to Harpy, who was just beginning to pull herself together.

"Tough night, huh?" he asked, chomping on a cigar.

"Yes," Harpy managed. "It was... very tough indeed."

Johannsen looked around. "Thanks for the heads-up on this," he said. "There's no way we would've found this island without your help."

"Glad you're here," Electrostatic said. "Please take all these crazies away."

"We will," Johannsen replied.

"These bad guys were a tricky bunch," Electrostatic boasted, "But we handled them."

"Not without some help," Acrobat Ace said, sneaking up on the group from behind.

"Acrobat Ace, as I live and breathe," Col. Johannsen said, surprised. "How the hell are ya?"

"Not bad after 10 years in an alternate dimension, I'd say," Ace replied.

The two men had known each other long ago, and the reunion sparked talk of old war-stories and current events in the world. Acrobat Ace had a lot of catching up to do, after all.

As Col. Johannsen and Acrobat Ace walked off, Electrostatic and Harpy were left alone.

"So many soldiers," Harpy said, watching the DEMA agents move about in their tight formations. "I never imagined they'd bring so many."

"Well, it's a good thing they did," Electrostatic replied. "Just think what might have happened if we hadn't brought back our two new friends."

"Yeah, speaking of them, that was one of them, that Acrobat Ace?" Harpy asked.

"Sure was," the electric hero responded. "The other one, Puncture Proof, well, he had a little trouble with Cyber-Knight."

They watched as MorningStar and Puncture Proof, on stretchers, were loaded onto a medical helicopter.

"We had a little unexpected help too," Harpy said. "You remember Mana, don't you?"

The sorceress was just passing by as she overheard her name spoken. "You're not talking about me behind my back, are you?" she joked.

"Yeah, um, shouldn't you be over there with Cyber-Knight and Fang?" Electrostatic asked.

The group looked over and saw the two villains being loaded onto a helicopter, stored in large tubes. They were containment devices, designed by DEMA researchers to inhibit the use of super-powers.

Mana glanced at Harpy. "She switched sides during the battle," Harpy replied. "I'd like to think she's well on her way to reform."

"No offense, lady," Electrostatic said to Mana, "But I'll believe it when I see it."

Mana sighed. "I guess I shouldn't be surprised at your attitude, Electrostatic," she said. "In fact, I don't blame you at all. I only turned when it looked like I might lose. Though seeing my allies beat an injured and unconscious MorningStar certainly helped sway me."

Electrostatic charged with energy for a moment. "Yeah, where are those guys anyway?"

"Surge is on a stretcher, along with Lodestone," Mana replied. "They're on the helicopter with Fang and Cyber-Knight. Safely tucked away, I hope."

"Bombardier was also involved with that brutal attack," Harpy said. "DEMA says they haven't found any sign of him. Coincidentally, our hydrofoil is gone..."

"Figures," Electrostatic replied. "He'll get his... someday."

"Anyway, Mana," Harpy said. "I hope you understand, but DEMA is ultimately responsible to determine your rehabilitation and what form that takes."

"I know," Mana replied.

"I hope they let you come with us, to tell you the truth," Harpy added. "I just don't know right now. Maybe you'd better go back with the bad guys, just to be on the safe side."

"If you think so," Mana said, and walked off.

"That was uncomfortable," Electrostatic remarked.

Iron Dragon and Pathfinder arrived, along with the Scoundrel.

"Looks like the operation is just about complete," Iron Dragon remarked. "I'd say it's time for us to hit the road."

"The hydrofoil's gone," Harpy said. "We'll have to ask for a ride in one of the helicopters."

Pathfinder blanched. "Is that absolutely necessary?" he asked. The Native American hero, so brave in the face of many dangers, was afraid to fly.

"Unless you want to swim back with me," Torpedo remarked as he crept up to the growing crowd of victorious heroes.

"You're not coming back with us?" the Scoundrel asked.

"Afraid not," Torpedo replied. "Besides, I'll make it back faster on my own."

Col. Johannsen and Acrobat Ace returned. "All right, heroes," Johannsen said. "I understand you've lost yer way home. No problem. Catch a ride on one of the choppers, There's room." With that, the colonel was gone, leaving the heroes to their own devices.

"I'll be happy to see civilization again," Acrobat Ace admitted. "Where are you guys based anyway?"

"San Fran," Electrostatic replied.

"Excellent," Acrobat Ace said. "Our old base was in San Diego. I wonder if it's still there..."

The helicopters left, one by one, until only one remained. The heroes made their way to the side door and into the enclosed passenger compartment.

Pathfinder had to be mentally soothed by Harpy in order to get him to willingly step onto the helicopter.

Four soldiers waited for the heroes to be loaded onto the helicopter, then stowed a large coffin draped in an American flag in the cargo area. Harpy saddened as she saw the coffin, realizing that Seraphim, her friend, confidante, and mentor, was within.

Wherever you are, she thought, My prayers go with you, Seraphim.

After everyone and everything was on board, the helicopter took flight, into the night sky.

Electrostatic, sitting next to Harpy, put an arm around the emotionally-wounded leader. "We won," he said. "Everything's going to be OK."

"I know," she sobbed. "It's just... I wish there was something I could have done."

She looked over at the now unconscious Pathfinder and stifled a laugh at the acrophobic's expense.

"We didn't really win, you know," Harpy said.

"What do you mean?" Electrostatic replied, astonished.

"Sure, we blew up their machine, but at what cost?" Harpy answered. "And we caught some of the villains, but some of the most important ones got away."

The Scoundrel, sitting on the other side of Harpy, decided to chime in. "Look at the big picture, OK? The Chaos Engine's gone, the villains are either captured or running for their lives, and most of us... survived."

"We'll have other chances to stop these guys," Electrostatic said. "You know, the ones who got away."

"That we will," Harpy said. "I'm going to make sure of it."

The helicopter flew into the direction of the moon, towards San Francisco Bay. As the island dropped out of sight, the pilot smiled and tipped his fedora. "Another time, perhaps," he said. "Another place, another way..."

The End

Watch for the United Heroes Annual #1, Coming Soon!

Last edited:

Tokiwong

First Post
Yeah the Trickster got away... weehah... along with Bombadier, so that is the end... awesome... a wild ride of a comic! I loved it man... encore!

I want a Scoundrel mini-series... and definitely Iron Dragon.... oh what is happening with he original united Heroes, the one still in the Dimension... will they ever return?

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
Glad you liked it. I had pictured Trickster's get-away for a while and thought it would be a nice touch :D

Next up is the UH Annual, coming next week. It will be part of this thread.

After that, I have the United Heroes Origins limited series planned. Each issue will tell the story behind one of the members. I haven't decided whether or not to include the 'old' heroes or Mana (or Seraphim for that matter). If you have any thoughts on who should be included, by all means, make your voice heard.

As for Epsilon, Prodigy, Sam Wylde, and Wind Rider, they may yet make their way back to Earth. Plans are still in the making...

After Origins, I may do a series based on one of the heroes, a series with the team, or some combination thereof. The whole point is to make this kind of like a real comic book publisher, so I'd like to have multiple lines going at once. Time and energy are going to be my only real inhibitors right now.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
United Heroes Annual #1 - "A Time For Change"

Scene 1: "The Gathering"

St. Mark's Cathedral has stood in San Francisco's financial district since before the 1906 earthquake and fire. A place nearly as old as any other building in the Bay Area, it is a gathering place for some of the most prominent people and events in the city's history. Some of these events have been joyous, such as the recent marriage of the Mayor's daughter to a professional baseball player. Some of these events have been sorrowful, such as the event scheduled for today.

SFPD vans and barricades blocked entrance to the area surrounding the cathedral, while vehicles pulled up and dropped off luminaries, such as the Mayor, Police Chief, and even the Governor of California.

Finally, the last vehicle pulled up and stopped. Out came Tabitha Harper, better known to the world as Harpy, leader of the United Heroes. Next was Jeremy Rhodes, known as Electrostatic, followed by An Leung Lee, known as Iron Dragon. Out of the other side came Markandorim, the Atlantean hero also known as Torpedo, followed by Sarah Wenders and Johnny Whitecrow, known respectively as MorningStar and Pathfinder. Those who still had secret identities, or at least faces not known to the general public, such as MorningStar, Pathfinder, and Iron Dragon, wore their masks to conceal their identities. Those who either didn't care (Electrostatic and Torpedo), or who already were publicly known (such as Harpy) were dressed conservatively and appropriately for a somber event such as this one. Strangely absent was the Scoundrel, the amnesiac hero.

Millie Miller, a reporter with KNX-TV, was the first of the media to approach Harpy, the United Heroes' spokesperson and leader. "Ms. Harper, do you have any comments on the sad chain of events that led up to the death of Seraphim?"

Harpy shot the reporter a grave look, but then softened, watching the rest of her allies file past her into the cathedral. "I was planning on issuing an official statement after the funeral, if you don't mind."

Shouts of "Ms. Harper, Ms. Harper..." came from the throng of reporters as she passed them. Just on the steps of the cathedral, a familiar voice shouted, "Where's the Scoundrel?"

Harpy turned and spotted Jim Kirkland, host of a very popular radio show, "Watching Supers", which dealt specifically with the cause of metahumans and dispelling stereotypes about superhuman beings.

She decided it best to answer his question. "Mr. Kirkland," she began, "As you know, we are a team, not just a collection of individuals. While we would have preferred the Scoundrel to be here, he has decided to sit this event out. I cannot elaborate any further on his decision."

Kirkland smiled, for he knew the real reason the Scoundrel was absent -- or seemed absent.

The throng of reporters continued to hound Harpy as she went inside, but she didn't answer any more questions.

Beside St. Mark's, in an alley, a figure stood in the shadows, watching the unfolding events very carefully. In a moment, he would make his presence felt in a most significant way!

"So he's coming in a back way or something?" Electrostatic asked.

"The Scoundrel?" Harpy replied. "Yes, he'll be here."

"You know he doesn't like publicity," Iron Dragon added. "Can't say I blame him at all. That's a circus out there!"

Archbishop Nathan Brookes, the highest-ranking Catholic figure in the area, was presiding over this funeral, and stood ready at the podium, going over his notes. He did not seem the least impressed or affected by the presence of these superheroes. Mayor Jane Anthony approached Harpy and the two spoke about recent events and the problems with Trickster.* In one aisle stood Torpedo, Electrostatic, and Pathfinder, talking about the agenda for the event. MorningStar stood by herself in one corner. Iron Dragon spoke with the Police Chief about the department and some current events.

* See the United Heroes Limited Series, Issues 1-10 - editor

"Are we ready?" Archbishop Brookes asked the assembled group.

"Where's the Scoundrel?" Electrostatic whispered to Torpedo and Pathfinder. "Shouldn't we wait for him?"

"Let's get this over with," Torpedo replied. "No offense, but I don't really know how to act at these sort of events."

"I agree," Pathfinder added. "My people have a vastly different view of the passage into death, and I must say I'm a little uncomfortable in this... stuffy place."

An organ began to play, a vast pipe organ that filled the far wall. The Archbishop straightened himself and shuffled his notes a little further. "Let us begin, good friends. Please, have a seat."

Everyone sat down in the first few rows of pews. The heroes were all in the front row, with the other dignitaries behind them. Many of the heroes wondered where the Scoundrel might be. After all, he would not miss Seraphim's funeral, would he?

The cab came to a screeching halt about two blocks from St. Mark's Cathedral. The Scoundrel hopped out and, taking a quick glance at his watch, realized he was in danger of being late. He handed the driver a $100 bill and took off for an alley he knew would lead him to the back door of St. Mark's, and in so doing, avoid the mass of reporters and cameras he would have had to face had he entered through the front of the building.

The Scoundrel darted this way and that, trying to avoid being seen. Anyone this close to the cathedral could be a reporter, and that was something the Scoundrel just didn't want to deal with right now. He pulled down his fedora to conceal his face and mask, although that would do little to disguise him should a member of the media spot him en route to the funeral.

Ducking down a side-alley running parallel to the cathedral, the Scoundrel nearly crashed into a dumpster as he thought he saw a trio of cameramen standing in the adjoining alley. Luckily, they were street pushers instead. The pushers were the last people in the world to bark to the media that they had seen the Scoundrel, after all. They were considered safe for the time being.

The Scoundrel came upon the final leg of the trip, but was surprised to see some people standing near the back door, apparently waiting for something.

Maybe they figured me out, he thought. I had hoped they didn't know about this entrance. Well, I don't want to miss the funeral...

He approached the group, but noticed something odd about them. There was no way he could get to the door without them seeing him, so the Scoundrel simply walked right up.

"All right, you found me," he admitted. "Maybe you'll get that Pulizter you've been after all these years."

The people turned, and in the beams of sunlight that struck them, didn't look like people at all. In fact, they looked like they were made out of wood.

"Umm... Who are you?" the Scoundrel asked. "You don't look like reporters..."

"Very astute, Scoundrel," a voice said from behind him.

Before he could turn, the Scoundrel felt a sharp pain in his neck, and went down to the pavement. "Augh!" he called out.

The figure, still in shadow, chuckled a bit. "Now," the figure said, "We have our pawn. Let the games begin!"

Watch for Scene 2, Coming Soon!

Remove ads