{Mutants & Masterminds} United Heroes Limited Series

Tokiwong

First Post
Insight said:

Yeah, he's pretty silly. What's an annual without a silly one-shot villain?

Silly is not the word... but entertaining, reminds me of watching a Batman TV episode... does he cackle with delight? Does he waves his fist about and go "Curses!?"

Most importantly he needs about two to three goons to mix it tup with the heroes, and big flashy signs... Biff! Pow! Kablam! SMASH! :)

Insight

Adventurer
United Heroes Annual #1 - "A Time for Change"

Scene 4: "Against Gepetto"

"Foolish heroes," Gepetto announced from within his robotic pod. "I will destroy you all. Flee now while you have the chance!"

Iron Dragon stood and faced the giant robot. "We have no intentions of giving in, Puppet Master!"

He concentrated on his inner power, and then his fists glowed with energy. "I'm not afraid of you!" The Asian hero swung an empowered fist at the leg of Gepetto's robot, but the strike merely glanced off the hardened material.

Pathfinder quickly drew his SuperX Crossbow and fired off a shot, which glanced off the robotic armor. "I figured as much," he admitted, and found some cover.

Taking an alternate tactic, Harpy cruised around the robot's flank, along with MorningStar.

"Listen, MS," Harpy said. "I can't get at Gepetto while he's inside that robot. Any chance you can burn a hole in the cockpit?"

"I dunno, Harp," MorningStar replied. "Looks pretty solid. I guess I can try."

MorningStar took flight, flying above the robot. Focusing on the cockpit area, she emitted a fiery blast that coated the outer skin, but did little beyond cosmetic damage to the construct.

Drawing his twin Hellfire Pistols, the Scoundrel moved to a defensive position next to Pathfinder. "Not really my idea of a good time, here," the Scoundrel said. "Don't know how much good I can do against this robot. My bullets might just bounce right off."

"I completely understand," Pathfinder replied.

Torpedo moved toward Gepetto's robot. "There will be no backing down today," he announced. The Atlantean slammed his magically-enhanced fist into the robot's leg, leaving a small dent, but nothing more. "What? That's impossible!"

"Impossible, you say?" Gepetto asked. "Not at all! You can hardly bend my special alloy, Vexium, much less break it!"

Electrostatic, like the others, encircled the robot. I hope this robot's all there is. I'd hate to run into some more of those toy soldiers. Although, come to think of it, they were pretty easy to handle.

"Dance, heroes," Gepetto said as his chain guns opened up. Bullets flew everywhere, tracing a course across where Torpedo, Iron Dragon, Pathfinder, and the Scoundrel were standing.

The four heroes jumped for cover, but Torpedo wasn't quite as fast as Iron Dragon and the Scoundrel. The Atlantean was cut down by several rounds and dropped to the ground. Like Torpedo, Pathfinder was too slow to react and was hit as well, although the cover he had found helped a bit, keeping the Native American hero from serious injury.

"Torpedo!" Electrostatic called out as he charged forward to rescue his fallen comrade.

"Ha ha," Gepetto said. "You ain't seen nothin' yet!" Ammunition rained down around Electrostatic as the chain guns focused on him, but the electric hero dodged and evaded the bullets, finally getting to the fallen Torpedo.

Electrostatic picked up the wounded Atlantean and looked back at Gepetto's robot, its guns tightly focused on him.

The Scoundrel, having had enough of Gepetto's commentary, blasted the robot with two shots from his Hellfire Pistols, but the shots bounced harmlessly away.

I knew it, he thought.

Iron Dragon, who had dodged aside from the first volley of bullets, made his way to another one of the robot's legs. Now might be a good time to demonstrate the Penetrating Fist of Heaven. He focused inward, energy coursing into one of his hands. The Asian hero struck the robot's leg, gashing it deeply.

Gepetto saw that damage had been done to his precious creation. "What's going on?" he demanded. "That's not possible!"

"Apparently your Vexium isn't as tough as you thought," the Scoundrel pointed out. Aiming at the spot Iron Dragon had opened up, the Scoundrel put two fiery rounds into the robotic leg, causing a few explosions from within.

"No!" Gepetto called out.

"OK guys," Harpy pointed out. "Dragon, keep at it. Everyone else, use the holes he's making."

"No problem," Electrostatic said, putting Torpedo down in a safe place and zapping the robot with a bolt of lightning, striking the spot Iron Dragon has sundered.

Gepetto's systems went offline temporarily to compensate for the power overload. "You fool," he said. "You'll ruin everything!"

"That's the idea," Electrostatic replied joyously.

While the robot was still, the Scoundrel moved forward and opened up on the hole Iron Dragon had made in the Vexium skin, and caused even more damage. MorningStar, seeing what was going on, added her own flaming blast to the same spot, creating a major explosion that tore the leg apart.

Gepetto's robot fell on its side. "This can't be happening!" the Puppet-Master screamed.

Iron Dragon moved to a location on the carapace, where he could see the cockpit. Focusing on his Penetrating Fist of Heaven, the Asian hero struck again, opening a large hole in the carapace, near the villain's cockpit. "Ready to give up yet?" he asked.

Just then, the systems inside the robot came back online. "Hee hee! You won't stop me that easily!" Gepetto said as he pressed a few buttons on the control panel in front of him.

"Everyone get back," Harpy cautioned.

The cockpit burst forth from the rest of the robot, complete with tiny jets protruding from the back and wings popping out of the sides. The rest of the robot was now a metallic husk.

Gepetto, in his pod, flew toward what he thought would be freedom. "You'll never catch me now!"

"MS," Harpy said. "Fly after him, and take the Dragon with you."

"What?" Iron Dragon replied. "I don't get it..."

"Oh, I see," MorningStar said, swooping down. She turned off the flames surrounding her hands and lower arms, and scooped up her ally. "Let's go get him!"

Gepetto noticed the two heroes following him. "Keep away!" he warned.

The pod was quick, but MorningStar proved to be equal to the task. In fact, the fiery heroine was gaining on Gepetto.

"Drop me off on top of the pod, OK?" Iron Dragon asked.

"Are you sure?" MorningStar replied.

"Yeah, I'll be fine."

"Some heat-seeking missiles ought to take the starch out of them," Gepetto said, pressing a button.

Just then, a volley of tiny missiles erupted from the pod, cruising straight at MorningStar and Iron Dragon.

"You've gotta be kidding," Iron Dragon said.

MorningStar took evasive action, dodging the missiles in mid-air. Unfortunately, they kept coming after her, no matter what she did to evade them.

"Heat seekers," MorningStar said after a time. "Genius."

"Um, if it's not too much trouble," Iron Dragon said, while being jostled around in mid-air, "Is there any way you could put me down?"

"If I get too close to the pod... Wait a minute!" MorningStar flew straight at Gepetto's pod.

What is she doing? Gepetto wondered.

The missile continued their pursuit, and as they did, MorningStar closed in on Gepetto's pod.

"Those missile are getting closer," Iron Dragon pointed out. "And it's a long way to the ground, but..."

"Oh, stop worrying, ID," MorningStar replied, edging ever closer to Gepetto's pod. "I've got an idea."

The heroine closed in on the pod, taking a look back at the heat-seeking missiles as they closed in. Timing it just right, MorningStar turned off her flight power, and with it, the flames that captivated the missiles. The next biggest heat source was, of course, the pod's engines.

MorningStar and Iron Dragon soared through the air, but without any propulsion, were gliding, and without a large enough wingspan to make gliding a viable option.

"Are you sure you've thought this through?" Iron Dragon asked.

"Trust me."

Gepetto had no way to try any evasive maneuvers in time, and the heat-seekers crashed into the rear of the pod, destroying it. As soon as she heard the explosion, MorningStar re-activated her flames and in doing so, her ability to fly. When she did, she and Iron Dragon were less than 1,000 feet from the ground.

"That was close," Iron Dragon remarked as the pair cruised toward the ground and their awaiting allies.

Watch for Scene 5, Coming Soon!

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
United Heroes Annual #1 - "A Time for Change"

Scene 5: "Requiem"

A second time around, Seraphim's funeral went off without a hitch. They decided to hold it somewhere a little more private than St. Mark's Cathedral, given that the media and paparazzi had great access in downtown San Francisco. It was moved to Hadley Manor, Harpy's home and the United Heroes' base.

Archbishop Brookes, adorned in his finest regalia, presided over the service, which was performed in a traditional Catholic fashion. While this was long (and boring for some members of the United Heroes), the ceremony was faithful to Seraphim's wishes, and that is the most important detail.

Torpedo, Pathfinder, Iron Dragon, and Harpy spoke, telling interesting, funny, or stirring tales of the angel's good deeds spent on this planet. A few civilians also took the podium to say nice things about the dearly departed hero.

The best line of the afternoon, delivered by Torpedo and what will be enscribed on the memorial for Seraphim to be built in a square near City Hall in the months to come:

It is neither words nor deeds that characterize a life, but the color of one's honor, the strength of one's committment, and the depth of one's dedication that make someone great.

To one and all gathered, this line proved to be the one that stood out, and the one that said the most about the fallen hero.

"Friends," Mayor Castle said aloud, raising her wine glass. "A toast for the departed?"

Those present - Iron Dragon, Torpedo, Pathfinder, MorningStar, the Scoundrel, DEMA Liaison Marks, and Police Chief Myrtle - raised their glasses in response to the suggestion.

"To Seraphim, who fought with the love and compassion worthy of his heritage," she said.

Glasses clinked and everyone had a swallow from their glass.

Small talk took over for the good part of an hour. Chief Myrtle said he had to leave, unfortunately, but duty calls. Mayor Marks announced her plans to devote a memorial to Seraphim near City Hall, and then made her way to the door as well.

This left Joe Marks alone with the heroes. "Where are Harpy and Electrostatic?" he asked the assembled group.

"No idea," MorningStar replied, casually looking around.

"I haven't seen them," Pathfinder added.

"Well, no matter," Marks said. "I have something I wanted to discuss with you. You can fill them in later, I suppose."

"Shoot," the Scoundrel replied.

Marks smiled. "All right. The President sends his regards and thanks for a job well done." He produced a plaque from his briefcase.

Iron Dragon looked at the plaque. "A token of his appreciation?"

"Yes," Marks replied. "But that's not really why I'm here."

"Go on," Torpedo said.

"I assume you all are aware of the problem METACorps has been experiencing of late. It's been in all of the tabloids, and has even made it into respectable publications. Not to mention that story GNN did..."

"Yeah?" Iron Dragon asnwered. "I've heard about their leaders quitting and that Burnout guy switching sides, so to speak."

"Oh, and don't forget Eclipse," Pathfinder added. "Didn't he 'accidentally' cover New York City in darkness for eight hours or something?"

"There's more, but you get the picture," Marks replied. "They have some internal issues."

"So what does METACorps, the government super-team, have to do with us?" MorningStar asked.

"I think I know," Torpedo said. "You'd like United Heroes to become the new government super-team."

"Now wait a minute," Iron Dragon barked. "I have no interest in being under the government's thumb!"

Marks tried to intervene, but found his words lost in a sea of commentary.

"I don't know, ID," MorningStar replied. "It might be nice."

"I won't do it," Iron Dragon said. "I'll leave the team if that's what it takes."

"Me too," the Scoundrel added. "I have no interest in becoming a government stooge."

"Hold on a minute, guys," Marks said, finally getting in a word. "I know you each have reservations. That's natural."

"I have more than reservations," Iron Dragon replied.

"Speaking of reservations," Pathfinder said. "I don't think I need to state my position on becoming a government agent."

"OK, I can see you're not in the mood to talk about this right now," Marks said. "I'm going to leave some information with Harpy and she can review it later. No rush."

The heroes stared at Marks, wondering what he was thinking. He was now very uncomfortable. "Well, I'll be going then." With that, the DEMA Liaison was gone.

"Very strange," Torpedo remarked. "I wonder what prompted DEMA to try to recruit us."

"It doesn't matter," Iron Dragon said. "I meant what I said. I will never do it."

MorningStar poked her head into the kitchen, and then into the library. "I wonder where Harpy and Electrostatic went off to..."

Harpy and Electrostatic found one another on a balcony overlooking the sea. They were alone, as almost everyone else was inside.

They watched the sun start to dip into the Pacific Ocean, and Electrostatic put his arm gently around Harpy.

"Can I call you Tabitha now?" he asked, smiling.

She cocked her head toward him. "I never said you couldn't, Jeremy. I would prefer you to call me Harpy when we're acting in an official capacity."

Rhodes placed his hand on top of Tabitha's. "It's too bad, really."

She at first wanted to pull his hand away and shrug off his arm, but realized that she really didn't dislike it as much as she thought she might.

"What's that?" she asked in response.

"I know Seraphim liked to watch the sunsets here, from this balcony, you know?" he continued.

"I know," she replied. "Do you think he's watching us?"

Jeremy turned fully toward Harpy. "Are you asking me about my religious beliefs?"

She laughed. "No, not that. Well, sort of, I guess. I mean, do you think Seraphim can come back in like a spirit form?"

He thought for a moment. "I guess so. I haven't run across any angels before Seraphim, so I can't say for sure. Why?"

"I was just wondering," Harper continued. "I can totally see him flying around with his wings and some golden harp."

"Yeah," Rhodes continued. "Then, he'd find some devil and bash him with the harp!"

They laughed. It had been a while since they both laughed together, and when they finished, Jeremy and Tabitha noticed how close they were to each other.

"Actually, you want to know the real reason I was wondering if he could see us?" she asked coyly.

Jeremy felt the pit of his stomach sink a bit. "I don't know..."

"Cause I wouldn't want him to see this," Tabitha said as she kissed Jeremy full on the lips. It was a passionate kiss, one that, while Jeremy had anticipated for a while, was totally unexpected.

As the two kissed and held each other, Seraphim floated overhead, a smile beaming from his face.

Harper, who could see spirits, caught a glimpse of Seraphim over Jeremy's shoulder. Shocked, she almost stopped, but Seraphim waved and was gone. She got the sense that Seraphim was OK and approved.

"You know," Harper said. "You're asking for trouble."

Jeremy smiled. "You've gotta be kidding me," he replied. "You don't think I'm gonna back down now, do ya?"

The sunset completed with the green flash, and then, darkness descended on the balcony, as well as the rest of Hadley Manor. Things were well, and life moved on, as life always does.

THE END

Insight

Adventurer
We'll see! Right now, I'm looking at United Heroes Origins and perhaps starting up a regular United Heroes series. I may also do solo books for the Scoundrel, Iron Dragon, Acrobat Ace, Torpedo, and maybe Harpy. I haven't really decided on those yet.

I'm going to produce these at a slower pace than the limited series, considering 10 issues and the annual came out in four months or so. Look for the new ones to actually be monthly, like regular comic books.

So, for June: United Heroes Origins #1 (featuring Electrostatic), United Heroes (regular series) #1 and maybe something else.

Glad you like the story. I hope the rest of my silent readership liked it as well.

Insight

Adventurer
Archive Link

I thought I'd post the link for the archive one more time in case anyone missed it the first time around.

The next issues will be on a new thread, so this is probably my final post on this one. Thanks to all of my loyal readers for their input and opinions, and I hope to be sending you more superhero goodness really soon!

:D

pjrake

Explorer
Great thread!!! I'm just wondering if you used any sort of mini's in this game. I'm contemplating getting rid of miniatures for my next adventure. Thanks!

PJ

Remove ads