{Mutants & Masterminds} United Heroes Limited Series

EntropyDecay

First Post
Great story, in fact this is the only story hour I finished reading so far. IMHO most others got a bit boring after a while.

Like someone else already said: Green Ronin should pay you for advertising M&M so efficiently since your story was a major reason for me to order my M&M copy.

Chris

Insight

Adventurer
EntropyDecay said:
Great story, in fact this is the only story hour I finished reading so far. IMHO most others got a bit boring after a while.

Like someone else already said: Green Ronin should pay you for advertising M&M so efficiently since your story was a major reason for me to order my M&M copy.

Chris

Glad you like my Story Hour, and glad to have been the reason you decided to pick up what is, in my opinion, one of the best RPGs to come out in a long, long time.

Unlike many of the Story Hours, this one has a definite ending, which is coming up soon. But don't be discouraged -- more are in the works!

EDITOR

Insight

Adventurer
Delays, Delays, Delays

Wow! EN World has been down for a few days, and I've been really busy!

Anyway, I hope to post the rest of the Annual soon. Be patient...

Insight

Adventurer
United Heroes Annual #1 "A Time for Change"

Scene 2: "A Traitor in the Midst"

"Dear friends," Archbishop Brookes began. "We have lost a great friend in the dearly departed Seraphim. A being of power and love, ability and caring, strength and compassion. He has now passed from this world into the next and, in doing so, saved the very world he was charged to protect, saved it from certain doom and destruction at the hands of fiends most treacherous."

In the front row of the funeral were the United Heroes: Harpy, Iron Dragon, Torpedo, Electrostatic, Pathfinder, and MorningStar. On the other side of the aisle were non-powered dignitaries such as Police Chief Myrtle, Mayor Paula Castle, and DEMA Liaison to the United Heroes, Joe Marks.

What the heck is keeping the Scoundrel? Harpy wondered. Maybe I should scan for him. She considered it, but decided to concentrate instead on the ceremony. Seraphim was obviously very ceremonial, and it would serve well his memory for his friends and allies to be here in the moment.

Archbishop Brookes finished his reading from Song of Solomon, and asked if anyone wished to speak. Torpedo was the first to volunteer.

The Atlantean approached the podium, unsure of what he might say. He was the newest member of United Heroes, and had not known Seraphim long. But somehow, Torpedo felt compelled to say something remarkable about Seraphim's life.

"As I'm sure you can no doubt tell," Torpedo began. "I am not a person of the surface world. This process of funerals is rather new to me, but I can certainly understand their significance. I am also new to my team, the United Heroes, and was only briefly in Seraphim's presence. What I can tell you is that Seraphim was a grand representative of the potential of humanity, and that, despite his otherworldliness, Seraphim truly loved humanity and died saving it."

Just then, the Scoundrel entered the cathedral through the back entrance he had told everyone he would use. Harpy breathed a sigh of relief. The Scoundrel walked to the stage area next to Archbishop Brookes and pulled out his Hellfire Pistols.

Torpedo had not seen this and kept talking. Harpy and Pathfinder stood in surprise, shocked. They could neither act nor warn anyone before the Scoundrel plugged Brookes twice and dropped the archbishop to the floor.

"What the hell is going on?" DEMA Liaison Marks stood and shouted at the Scoundrel's actions.

The United Heroes, now well aware of what was happening, stood from the pews and looked to Harpy, the team leader.

"What are you looking at me for?" she demanded. "Get him!"

The Scoundrel, seeing the heroes coming for him, fired off two pre-emptive strikes, one shot at MorningStar, who had not yet activated her force field, and one shot at Harpy, the leader. Both rounds struck their targets, and Harpy dropped. MorningStar, though hurt, was still going.

Electrostatic, while quick, wasn't fast enough to stop the Scoundrel from hurting Harpy, the object of the hero's affections. The electric hero sped to Harpy's side and realized she was out cold and, while injured, would survive, assuming she got adequate medical attention. Electrostatic picked her up and launched out of the cathedral entirely.

Because he had not brought his SuperX Crossbow, nor his magical dagger, Pathfinder felt a little useless against the Scoundrel, so he decided it best to usher the vulnerable 'normals' out of the room. He though to try to retrieve the injured Archbishop Brookes, but the body was too close to the action.

"What is wrong with you, Scoundrel?" Torpedo demanded as the Atlantean hero lunged onto the hero-turned-villain. The Scoundrel, seeing Torpedo's leap, simply sidestepped the attempt, sending Torpedo sprawling across the cathedral floor.

MorningStar recovered from the Scoundrel's attack, but could do little at the moment.

Powering up, Iron Dragon sought to knock the Scoundrel out in one punch. "I don't know what's wrong with you, Scoundrel," he said, "But I intend to take care of the problem regardless!"

Iron Dragon swung his empowered fist at the Scoundrel who, in a whirl of acrobatics and trenchcoat, dodged the attempt and landed on the stage.

Pathfinder, watching the Scoundrel dodge the attacks, noticed something strange about his former ally. I'll have to stay here, Pathfinder considered. I know there's something odd about him, but I'm not entirely sure what it might be.

The Scoundrel turned on the stage and his Hellfire Pistols blazed once again, this time his fire concentrated on Iron Dragon. The Asian hero, expecting the barrage, tried to evade the attack, and managed to sidestep one fiery bullet, but the other lodged into his shoulder. Iron Dragon shrieked in a manly way and then dropped to one knee as his body was ravaged by the pain.

I wish Harpy was here, MorningStar thought. She could read the Scoundrel's mind and find out why he's attacking us!

Pathfinder looked more closely at the Scoundrel, and he spotted something on the amnesiac's back, hidden beneath the folds of his trenchcoat. What is that? he wondered. It looks like some kind of device I've not seen the Scoundrel wear before. Perhaps it's not of his own choosing. What if that's some kind of control device?

Pathfinder called out, "I believe our friend Scoundrel has a... monkey on his back!"

The Asian hero jumped onto the stage to square off with the elusive Scoundrel, and was a little surprised by Pathfinder's suggestion. "What?" he asked.

"Look on his back!" MorningStar shouted, understanding completely what Pathfinder was trying to say.

Torpedo understood, and charged forward to make a try for the strange device attached to the Scoundrel's back. The Scoundrel turned toward the Atlantean hero and assumed a defensive posture. "I know you're not quite yourself," Torpedo said. He could not get at the device, so Torpedo took a swing, hoping perhaps to knock out their erstwhile ally. The Scoundrel easily dodged the attack, though he had temporarily forgotten about his other opponents.

Though she wasn't entirely certain, MorningStar felt she might be able to melt the device without harming her ally, the Scoundrel. She concentrated, and fired a narrow beam of fire at the amnesiac's backside, but the Scoundrel easily dodged the attack, assuming of course that MorningStar was trying to harm him.

Iron Dragon concentrated, and his fists glowed with inner power. He leapt behind the Scoundrel, trying to spot the object to which Pathfinder was referring. He saw something metallic somewhat hidden beneath the Scoundrel's coat, but could not grab it for the moment. Instead, Iron Dragon tried to tackle the Scoundrel, a tactic for which the Scoundrel apparently had to countermove. The Scoundrel and Iron Dragon fell in a heap, rolled, and fell off the stage. One of the Scoundrel's Hellfire Pistols went flying, and skittered across the cathedral floor. He had held onto the other one, so the Scoundrel had been partially disarmed as well as tackled.

"Help me!" Iron Dragon shouted as he struggled to keep the Scoundrel still. "Get that thing off him!"

Torpedo, the closest, surged forward and grabbed the silvery, oblong device. It was slippery, as if made from a Teflon-like material, but the Atlantean managed to hold on to it as the Scoundrel struggled with Iron Dragon.

"Hurry," MorningStar urged as she could only watch and hope for the best.

Pathfinder finished clearing everyone else from the cathedral and noticed that ambulances were on their way, as well as police cars. The civilians and innocents should be fine now, he realized. I can now help with the Scoundrel. With that, the Native American hero moved in. Archbishop Brookes! I forgot about him. Pathfinder rushed past the wrestling Iron Dragon and the Scoundrel to fetch the unconscious and badly wounded priest. He turned and sprinted outside, where EMTs would be waiting for the injured.

"Hold him still," MorningStar urged. "Maybe I can melt this thing."

"No, wait," Torpedo countered as he pulled it off. The Scoundrel shrieked as the device tore his skin, as well as his trenchcoat.

"It was attached to his body!" MorningStar commented. "What the heck is going on?"

"Uhh," the Scoundrel moaned as Iron Dragon released him. "What's happening? Where am I?"

Iron Dragon shot the amnesiac hero a stern look. "You attacked us, remember?"

The Scoundrel was confused. "I did? Why?"

Torpedo stood and examined the device that had been attached to the Scoundrel's back. "I would hazard to guess this device had something to do with it."

"What is that?" the Scoundrel asked.

"I don't know," Torpedo replied. "But we need to find out. I think someone may have used this device to control you. The question is why..."

A figure peered through the back door of the cathedral, watching the scene unfold.

"Curses," the figure said.

He walked outside to meet his wooden soldiers. They did not move at his approach, recognizing their master and creator.

The figure, revealed in the afternoon sunlight, was a balding, middle-aged man dressed in a stout leather apron and matching gloves. "Those United Heroes foiled me again! But this is not the last they will hear from Gepetto the Puppet-Master!"

Watch for Scene 3, Coming Soon!

Insight

Adventurer
Insight Comics

No, really!

Actually, what I'm doing is archiving the United Heroes stuff on my own site so that people can enjoy it without needing to hunt it down when this thread drops to page 2... page 3... page 4... and so on.

I'll be archiving everything there, including the Limited Series, UH Origins, etc.

What I'm posting are the story texts only, no stat blocks or any fan commentary. I am editing the stories a bit so that they look a little better too.

Anyway, here's the main jump-off page

Enjoy!

BTW, I'm still updating everything. I hope to be caught up soon.

Insight

Adventurer
United Heroes Annual #1 - "A Time for Change"

Scene 3: "Death by Toy Soldiers?"

Harpy steamed, giving the rest of her fellow superheroes a specific look of despair. "Would it be at all possible for us to have a semi-normal day once in a while?" she demanded and stalked out of the sitting room where the rest of them were waiting.

"I suppose she's talking about the funeral," Pathfinder said after an uncomfortable silence. "Can't say that I blame her, either."

"We're re-scheduling, right?" the Scoundrel asked. "Everything will be fine once we get it over with. As far as I'm concerned..."

"I hope we don't get in your way, oh Scoundrel," Iron Dragon replied. "Please, don't do anything on our account."

Torpedo shot Iron Dragon a scornful look. "There is no need for your sarcasm, Dragon. I believe the Scoundrel would like to put this unfortunate incident behind us. I am behind that notion completely."

Iron Dragon stood. "Harpy's not the only one who's pissed about this situation," he said and marched off in the same direction as their leader.

MorningStar, who had been flipping through Cosmo (backwards, looking only at the pictures), finally poked her head up. "What's going on anyway? What's with all the drama?"

"I would say a minor dispute," Pathfinder replied, "But this may go deeper than a mere misunderstanding."

"Where did 'Lectro go? Has anyone seen him?" MorningStar asked.

"Harpy knows," Torpedo replied. "I think she mentioned something about a public appearance, you know, to garner goodwill."

"We could use some right about now," Pathfinder said. "It's a good thing Acrobat Ace and Puncture Proof* aren't here to see this."

* The team met them in United Heroes Limited Series #8 - ed

"Yeah, luckily for us, they left for Pandemonium," Torpedo added. "I fear they would be terribly disappointed in our behavior. Hopefully, they will find what they're looking for in Pandemonium."

MorningStar went back to her magazine, disinterested in the rest of the conversation, though her thoughts drifted to the island battle the United Heroes had just endured*. She almost died there, and was somewhat reluctant to go through such an ordeal again any time soon.

*United Heroes Limited Series #11-12 - ed

"Does anyone else wonder why I attacked you guys?" the Scoundrel asked. "You said there was some kind of device attached to my back, right?"

"Electrostatic said he was going to have it analyzed for clues," Torpedo replied. "I'm not sure there's anything we can do at this time unless a clue drops out of the sky..."

A line of children aged 8-18 were lined up at the mall, a line stretching from the entrance all the way up some stairs, and to the door of Toy-o-Rama, one of a chain of toy and electronics stores in the Bay Area and around the country. The boys and girls held large photos, magazines, and notepads in one hand and a pen in another. Anticipation was high.

Inside the toy store, now focused entirely on the crowd situation, employees scurried to make room for the hundreds of kids who would be gathered to catch a glimpse of their idol, Electrostatic, from United Heroes!

He stood in a back office, going over some index cards upon which he had written a prepared statement.

Sally, the manager, approached him. "Um, Electrostatic?" she asked. "You're not going to... read off those cards, are ya?"

The hero looked up in chagrin. "Uh, I'm not much of a public speaker. I thought --"

Sally drew closer and grabbed the cards. "You can do better than that. Let me see these..."

Electrostatic checked the clock. Only one minute remained until all hell broke loose.

"This is too stuffy!" Sally announced and tossed the index cards in the trash. "Speak from your heart... and sign lots of autographs." She smiled at the nervous hero. "You'll be fine."

Great, he thought. A pep talk from some toy store manager. What's it coming to?

The store doors opened, and children flooded the place, looking for their hero.

"Showtime, hero," Sally said, shoving Electrostatic out the office door and into the store area.

A table was set aside, and Electrostatic quickly moved to it as a barrier against the onrush of children.

"OK, OK," he said. "Let's settle down. Kids, c'mon, work with me."

They cheered and delighted at the sight of the superhero. Though he had been hesitant about this assignment, Electrostatic's heart swelled with emotion, seeing the adoration in the kids' eyes.

The hero spoke for a few moments, which were captured on tape for the six o'clock news. Then, he sat down to sign a few hundred autographs. Luckily, with his speed, it didn't take very long at all. He used the extra time to talk to each kid individually about their hopes and dreams. Electrostatic grew that day.

As he left Toy-o-Rama under cover of security guards, kids still lined up outside the store, Electrostatic saw a pair of man-sized wooden soldiers standing next to the escalator. That's nice, he thought. I didn't see those decoarations before. Did they do that just for my appearance?

But then, the wooden soldiers moved towards him. And there were more behind those, numbering 10, maybe 15 in all.

"What's going on?" Electrostatic asked a security guard.

"I got no idea, mister!" the guard replied, pulling his baton.

The hero looked down, realizing that the guards were armed only with sticks. "You're not packing, are you?"

"Um, no."

The toy soldiers surrounded Electrostatic and the four guards assigned to him. Kids were also in the area. Electrostatic saw that the soldiers carried wooden rifles with bayonets.

"What the heck is this?" he demanded. "Some kind of joke?"

A balding man wearing a heavy, leather apron came up behind the soldiers. "No, my friend," he said. "No joke!"

The soldiers charged forward, right at Electrostatic!

"Surrender, hero," the balding guy said, "Or fell the wrath of Gepetto the Puppet Master!"

As he dodged wooden soldiers, Electrostatic couldn't help but laugh. "What? Is Pinocchio right around the corner or something?"

The electric hero blasted a wooden soldier, and it exploded in tiny shards. But there were more where that came from. The real danger, as Electrostatic knew deep down, was their creator, this crazed puppet guy.

He squatted between two bayonets that wooshed over his head, and Electrostatic pulled out his communicator. "UH, this is 'Lectro, over."

The hero cartwheeled around the wooden soldiers to avoid more of their attacks. Apparently, their rifles did not fire, as they seemed keen on trying to stab the agile hero with their bayonets.

Torpedo, who was manning the boards, replied. "UH here, Electrostatic. Over."

Using a railing, Electrostatic flipped over a pair of wooden soldiers and landed behind them. "You won't believe this," he replied. "I'm being attacked by toy soldiers."

Harpy took over the comm. "What? Say again!"

"Toy soldiers, you know," the hero said, dodging more blows. "I'm at the mall!"

"Right," Harpy responded. "How many? Can you handle them?"

Electrostatic smiled, as if he would admit any sign of weakness to Harpy. "Of course, but... um, there are a lot of kids around here. They might get hurt. There's a bad guy too. Some Gepetto."

The hero rolled between three soldiers and blasted them with his lightning bolts.

"We'll be there in a flash. Over and out."

That was a relief. While Electrostatic was easily able to evade the soldiers' attacks, he was concerned for the safety of the innocent kids who had come to see him.

The best tactic might be to draw the soldiers away from the toy store. Electrostatic realized that the toy men were only attacking him, and were ignoring the guards and everyone else. He decided to test this theory and jumped onto the ground floor. Looking up, Electrostatic saw the toy soldiers confused at first, but then made their way down the stairs.

C'mon, guys, he thought.

As the battle moved outside, Gepetto followed along, hoping to watch his toy soldiers defeat another superhero. Unfortunately, when the rest of the United Heroes arrived, they made short work of Gepetto's creations.

"You've ruined everything!" Gepetto screamed out and tossed a net at Electrostatic, pinning him to the ground. The villain fled on a jet-powered skateboard through the mall, moving faster than any of the heroes could follow - by ground.

But MorningStar had other plans. She took off through the air, and easily tracked the villainous puppeteer to his biplane, where he was preparing to take flight.

Are you kidding me? MorningStar thought. A toy plane too?

The biplane took off, but its acceleration was nothing special; MorningStar was easily able to keep up for the time being.

Gepetto noticed the fiery heroine tracking him, so he tried some evasive maneuvers. MorningStar kept up, regardless.

Turning the plane around, Gepetto aimed it straight at the flying heroine, and let loose his machineguns. Bullets flew, grazing MorningStar, but she nonetheless survived. In turn, she fired a blast of flame at the biplane's tail, causing it to burst and explode.

"Nooooooo..." Gepetto screamed as the plane started to descend violently.

What if he doesn't have a parachute? MorningStar wondered. She closed in on the wrecked plane as it fell, trying to get an angle to perhaps grab the villain before the crash.

Just then, Gepetto popped out of the cockpit, with a tiny parachute attached to his back. "Ha ha," he said defiantly. "You'll never catch me!"

"Yeah, sure," MorningStar replied. "I can set that parachute on fire pretty easily..."

Gepetto's face soured.

"It's still a long way to the ground," MorningStar pointed out.

"Fine," Gepetto declared. "You've got me!"

Gepetto and MorningStar settled to the ground, where META teams were awaiting the villain, ready to stock him away with more of his kind in a super-prison.

As the rest of the United Heroes caught up to the action, the doors were closing on the META van, when it exploded! The heroes and META agents ducked for cover, looking toward the van, which was now a hunk of scorched metal.

"What the hell?" Electrostatic demanded.

"Tsk, tsk," a voice said from behind them. "Such language..."

The heroes turned to see a giant robot facing them. Within the transparent cockpit window, they could see Gepetto.

"My duplicate fooled you pretty good," he said, chuckling. "Fooled everyone!"

The heroes stood up from their cover positions, ready for a fight.

The robot's arms shifted a bit, and chain guns popped out of the sides.

"Now, Gepetto gets his revenge!"

Watch for Scene 4, Coming Soon!

Remove ads