D&D 5E My D&D 5E Starter Set Quest and Campaign

Daern

Explorer
I like the non-standard backgrounds! I'm running this as well. In our first session the players made it to Phandalin.
I've already had a player make a Thief Acolyte, a character type he's made for years as a Cleric/Thief, but it seems perfect in this incarnation.

So, Mark, I read your blog, love the details. I noticed your players used captured goblins as porters. My players captured a goblin to make him show them the way to Cragmaw Castle. Any thoughts on having goblin captives in Phandalin? I'm thinking the townsfolks' first reaction should be to be extremely hostile and demand he be strung up... I want to make the players think about how they are treating the lil bugger.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I see what you are saying but I disagree. This is a product for noobs to D&D and they have gone with some iconic choices in race/class. But I think to help people see that the system does not have to be cookie cutter PCs, and show some interesting twists, will make the RP and character investment easier and (hopefully) pay off for those players when they make their PCs. Perhaps they won't be so constrained and will see they can make that odd back storied PC (One Unique Thing, anyone?) which will increase enjoyment. Thankfully a non standard PC is not a nerf as bad as some other editions can be.

I like the non-standard backgrounds! I'm running this as well. In our first session the players made it to Phandalin.
I've already had a player make a Thief Acolyte, a character type he's made for years as a Cleric/Thief, but it seems perfect in this incarnation.

Yeah, I like the idea as a veteran player but wonder if the need to establish typical combinations might be the province of a Starter Set.

So, Mark, I read your blog, love the details. I noticed your players used captured goblins as porters. My players captured a goblin to make him show them the way to Cragmaw Castle. Any thoughts on having goblin captives in Phandalin? I'm thinking the townsfolks' first reaction should be to be extremely hostile and demand he be strung up... I want to make the players think about how they are treating the lil bugger.

Thanks for checking it out. Looks like we might be increasing our number of scheduled games, so I'll have more to blog about in the near-future.

They've tossed the Goblins in the Townmaster's cells, and added the Ruffians, too, which I can blog about later this week (have to wait until a few bits get cleared up online in the group).

They arrived in town late in the evening, managed to take care of the supplies business with Barthen and Lionshield, as well as secure rooms. Other than lock up the Goblins, they merely hung around the inn (except for the Halfling) and picked up rumors.

The next morning, I had the Ruffians move in since the Halfling was out at the Alderleaf Farm. It was touch and go but anyone watching would see the adventurers handled themselves well. They marched the Ruffians over to the Townmaster right after and locked them in beside the Goblins.

In any event, while the Townmaster might be loathe to have the Ruffians in there, he would view the Goblins being in there as better than running loose, as far as I can tell.

Those in town appreciate any who handle the threats to supplies, and also who will do something about the Redbrands, and are unlikely to demand their way against the party, IMO. Maybe some will but not most. We stopped after the locking up last session so I'll need to make some decisions and roll some dice when I suss out some options. :)

Last edited:

Boarstorm

First Post
Yeah, I like the idea as a veteran player but wonder if the need to establish typical combinations might be the province of a Starter Set.

I think maybe this was a subtle way of saying that in this edition, there are no "typical combinations" -- every character is unique.

Anyway. Enjoying the blog. Thanks for taking the time to write 'em.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I think maybe this was a subtle way of saying that in this edition, there are no "typical combinations" -- every character is unique.

Between what was said above, some more thinking on it, and your post, I am coming around to this way of thinking.

Anyway. Enjoying the blog. Thanks for taking the time to write 'em.

Thanks! I'm very excited to be playing later this week. Need to get some prep done soon. :p

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
We got to play again this week and it looks like we will play weekly through Gen Con and maybe a bit beyond. The party survived, but not unscathed, and some mistakes were made that may haunt them.

http://www.creativemountaingames.com/2014/07/the-friday-grab-bag-my-5e-d-starter-set_18.html

One of the things I would like to accomplish before next week is making inserts for a custom GM screen, maybe with some info being Starter Set specific. Any suggestions?

Nemio

First Post
We got to play again this week and it looks like we will play weekly through Gen Con and maybe a bit beyond. The party survived, but not unscathed, and some mistakes were made that may haunt them.

http://www.creativemountaingames.com/2014/07/the-friday-grab-bag-my-5e-d-starter-set_18.html

One of the things I would like to accomplish before next week is making inserts for a custom GM screen, maybe with some info being Starter Set specific. Any suggestions?

Spoiler:

I'm not sure how the encounter is set up but why didn't they talk with the Nothic?
I thought that was possible?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Spoiler:

I'm not sure how the encounter is set up but why didn't they talk with the Nothic?
I thought that was possible?

Indeed, it is possible.

And the Nothic does seem to prefer that course of action. However, the party (without cloaks or disguise) are clearly intruders, had blood on their weapons, one had just fallen down the crevasse and was severely wounded and had thoughts of taking over the complex for his own (Nothic gained that info), and while three were back helping the Noble out of the crevasse, the unarmored one (Wizard) was wandering over in easy striking distance (with surprise and Advantage) with only the little one (Halfling) supporting him.

I rolled a die and determined the Nothic would use the upper hand to try to take one or two down, perhaps using that and the injuries of the Noble to extort payment from a position of strength. Nothics are evil, after all.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I'm guessing you already have one of these from the description in the blog, but for those who might not have seen it...

http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Worlds-Customizable-Screen-S2P10002/dp/1930855591

This is excellent for building customized screens. I use the outside pockets to insert visual aids, and generally have tables/random NPC names on the inside.

Yup, those are great. I have the three-panel landscape one and also a four-panel portrait version, but I and not sure if I have a preference. What I use next week will probably be determined by how much info I want behind the screen. Thanks for sharing the link! :)

Remove ads