My dark fairytale post-apocalyptic fantasy campaign...

cybernetic

Explorer
Derulbaskul said:
This looks great, cybernetic, when's the next update?

I'll try to get a new update on here by the end of the day. I'm gonna try to organize my ideas for the Lost Soul class together in a coherent way and post em..maybe some of the racial traits as well... most of the campaign is a chaotic abyss of ideas in my head... just let me know if their are any particular aspects of a campaign you wanna see from Grymn...

cybernetic

Explorer
Human racial traits
(The only full blood humans in Grymn are those who have been pulled into it from the real world....Grymn tends to pull individuals with more advanced mental stats...and these individuals are somewhat intimidating to Grymn natives as they exude an an aura of otherworldliness...more so than even outsiders.)
• +2 to two of the following abilties: Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Humans base land speed is 30 feet.
• Humans are the only race able to take levels in the Lost Soul core class.
• Humans get a racial bonus to Intimidate checks equal to 1/2 their character level.
• Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
• Favored Class: Lost Soul. A multiclass human’s Lost Soul class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.

Also...here's the first rough draft of the Lost Soul core class for humans...not really sure about balance issues...I just pretty much put down what I see them being able to do... I figure I can get your opinions on balance and such..

Lost Soul
The world of Grymn is built upon the dreams and nightmares of the more mundane human world. Sometimes a mundane human will become lost within these dreams, finding themselves lost and alone within the dark underworld of Grymn. A select few of these individuals realize the truth of this new world and are able to manipulate the very essence of the environement around them.

Adventures: Lost souls adventure for a variety of reasons, but since lost souls are generally ripped from the mundane world and unwillingly pulled from their home and dropped into a world of darkness, they tend to adventure in the hopes of finding a way home. Just as often, however, a lost soul will adventure to experience the new world they have become apart of and never seek to go home, instead electing to stay in their new world and live their fantasy and dreams.

Characteristics: Lost souls are different than most other classes as they have no real defining characteristics other than the fact that they are mundane humans pulled into a dark fantasy world. The characteristics of lost souls are equally as variable as the traits of humans in general, but their is one thing that sets a Lost soul apart from typical humans. Lost souls tend to have be very charismatic and open minded.

Alignment: Lost souls tend to be rather diverse in their outlooks and alignements as well. They tend to gravitate towards the extremes, however, as chaotic and lawful minds seem to attract the pull of the world of Grymn more often than neutral ones.

Religion: Lost souls usually do not follow any specific deity, but rather they follow a set of beliefs or even have no religion whatsoever. Lost souls usually cast aside any religious beliefs when they encounter the world of Grymn. On some occasions, a lost soul will attempt to create a new religion with himself as the "deity".

Background: Lost souls are a unique case, as they come from an entirely different world, a mundane world where magic does not exist. They are humans who have become disillusioned with the reality of their own existance and their mind has opened and connected with the fantastic through their dreams. Many lost souls are random phenomenons within the mundane world that get pulled into the underworld of Grymn by their subconsious, while a rare few are descendant from a mundane bloodline with connections to the world of Grymn. Regardless, mundane human pulled into Grymn must learn to accept the truth that they are living in a dream world before they gain the abilities of the lost soul. Many mundane humans are pulled into Grymn without the wisdom and opened mind required to manifest the abilities of a lost soul.

Races: Lost souls are always mundane humans, as they are the only race with the subconscious power to be drawn into the world of Grymn.

Classes: Lost souls tend to always welcome the other classes, especially those who are familiar with the lands of Grymn, such as bards and rangers. They tend to look up to the occasional sorcerer or wizard as they are in awe of the fantasic power that they weild. Generally, the outlook of a specific lost soul towards the other classes is an individual taste. Many lost souls tend to multiclass into a variety of other classes.

Role: The lost soul is a master of the environment of the dreamscapes of Grymn. The most powerful of their numbers are sometimes worshipped as gods by inhabitants of Grymn, while others have become champions and heroes of the realm.

Game Rule Information
Lost souls have the following game statistics.

Abilities: Charisma is a very important ability for a Lost soul as many of their abilities rely on it, not unlike a sorcerer. Wisdom is also important for some of their abilities. Most Lost souls also have at least one decent physical ability score for some help in combat situations.
Alignment: Any
Race: Human only.
Hit Die: d8

Class Skills
Haven't tackled putting a list together yet...

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the lost soul.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Lost souls are proficient with all simple weapons and with light armor.

Mind Over Matter: The Lost soul instinctivly knows that the fantasy world around him is merely an illusion created from the dreams of mundane humans and is able to bend the very laws of nature to his benifit granting him supernatural abilities. The caster level of the following spell-like abilities is equal to the character's Lost soul levels.
- Mage Hand: At 1st level, the Lost soul can use mage hand at will as a free action.
- Feather Fall: At 4th level, the Lost soul can use feather fall 3/day as a free action. At 7th level, this ability can be used at will.
- Levitate: At 9th level, the Lost soul can use levitate 3/day as a free action.
- Telekinesis: At 14th level, the Lost soul can use telekinesis 1/day as a movement action. At 19th level, the Lost soul can use this ability 2/day.

Deja Vu: At 2nd level, the mundane consciousness of the Lost soul experiences a vision of a future event or events that will befall him that day, allowing him to alter the event in his favor. The Lost soul may add a bonus equal to his Cha modifier (minimum +1) to a single attack roll, saving throw, skill check or ability check 1/day. At 11th level this ability may be used 2/day.

Dream Form: The Lost soul has a unique ability to turn into an being of raw dream for a duration. The Lost soul turns ethereal as per the ethereal jaunt spell. This ability takes a full round action to initiate and has a duration equal to 1 round/ 3 class levels. This ability is usuable 3/day.

It's Just A Dream: At 5th level, the lost soul is able to exert his will over the dreams that compose the world. This allows him to replace any one saving throw with his Will save for one roll, 1/day. The lost soul may use this ability 2/day at 10th level and 3/day at 15th level.

Dream Mastery: Each lost soul learns different ways to manipulate dreams through their individual experiences. They may select an ability from the following list at 8th, 13th, and 17th level.

Temporal Dream Sphere: At 20th level, the Lost soul has gained such a mastery over the fabric of dreams composing the world that they are able to put an entire area of the world in a special stasis. This is treated like a timestop spell that effects an area equal to 20 feet plus 10 feet per Cha modifier and lasts for a number of rounds equal 1+ Wis modifier. This ability has no effect on humans.

Code:
[B]Table: The Lost Soul[/B]
Level	BAB		Fort	Ref	Will	Special
1	+0		+0	+0	+2	Mind Over Matter (Mage hand at will)
2	+1		+0	+0	+3	Deja Vu 1/day
3	+2		+1	+1	+3	Dream Form
4	+3		+1	+1	+4	Mind Over Matter (Feather Fall 3/day)
5	+3		+1	+1	+4	Its Just A Dream 1/day
6	+4		+2	+2	+5	-
7	+5		+2	+2	+5	Mind Over Matter (Feather Fall at Will)
8	+6/+1		+2	+2	+6	Dream Mastery
9	+6/+1		+3	+3	+6	Mind Over Matter (Levitate 3/day)
10	+7/+2		+3	+3	+7	Its Just A Dream 2/day
11	+8/+3		+3	+3	+7	Deja Vu 2/day
12	+9/+4		+4	+4	+8	-
13	+9/+4		+4	+4	+8	Dream Mastery
14	+10/+5		+4	+4	+9	Mind Over Matter (Telekinesis 1/day)
15	+11/+6/+1	+5	+5	+9	Its Just A Dream 3/day
16	+12/+7/+2	+5	+5	+10	-
17	+12/+7/+2	+5	+5	+10	Dream Mastery
18	+13/+8/+3	+6	+6	+11	-
19	+14/+9/+4	+6	+6	+11	Mind Over Matter (Telekinesis 3/day)
20	+15/+10/+5	+6	+6	+12	Temporal Dream Sphere

Next up...possibly racial traits for the races of Grymn....

Last edited:

DiFier

First Post
cool. I really like this.

I have no idea if the lost soul class is balanced either.

some suggestions on stuff you haven't done yet.

maybe make skills like an expert's skill list, you get to pick. this would make lost sould very adaptable and diverse but that sorta makes sence. or maybe have a few skills that are always on the list +some you get to pick.

here are some random ideas to inspire you for Dream Mastery abilities.

Dream up weapon: the lost soul can produce a weapon of pure will. they are proficient with the weapon and gain weapon focus with this weapon. the weapon is considered a light weapon, does 1d6 pts of damage + wis bonus. crits on a 20. The weapon can be menatally altered to do piercing, slashing or bludging damage. producing the weapon take a standard action. dismissing it is a free action.

Dream armor: the lost sould can add thier wis modifier to the AC

evasion: like the rogue ability.

dreamer's intuition: sometimes the lost sould just knows the right thing to do next. 1 per day when the lost soul is unsure in a decision, they automatically know the proper course. there is a spell or feat that is similar to this.

ack well lunch break is over so this is all for now these are just sorta thrown out and I have no idea if they are too powerful or underpoweered. Hope they inspire you for Dream mastery ideas.

cybernetic

Explorer
DiFier said:
cool. I really like this.

I have no idea if the lost soul class is balanced either.

some suggestions on stuff you haven't done yet.

maybe make skills like an expert's skill list, you get to pick. this would make lost sould very adaptable and diverse but that sorta makes sence. or maybe have a few skills that are always on the list +some you get to pick.

here are some random ideas to inspire you for Dream Mastery abilities.

Dream up weapon: the lost soul can produce a weapon of pure will. they are proficient with the weapon and gain weapon focus with this weapon. the weapon is considered a light weapon, does 1d6 pts of damage + wis bonus. crits on a 20. The weapon can be menatally altered to do piercing, slashing or bludging damage. producing the weapon take a standard action. dismissing it is a free action.

Dream armor: the lost sould can add thier wis modifier to the AC

evasion: like the rogue ability.

dreamer's intuition: sometimes the lost sould just knows the right thing to do next. 1 per day when the lost soul is unsure in a decision, they automatically know the proper course. there is a spell or feat that is similar to this.

ack well lunch break is over so this is all for now these are just sorta thrown out and I have no idea if they are too powerful or underpoweered. Hope they inspire you for Dream mastery ideas.

I completely forgot that I hadn't actually put any Dream Mastery abilities down...thanx for catching it an for some ideas :)

Remove ads