My DM is frustrating!

Godlycomplex

First Post
Are you creating characters in line with the rest of the party?

Regardless if the DM is tough, you can still optimize above the level of the rest of the PCs and hog the spotlight. Or worse, keep raising the bar and the DM needs to either calibrate for you or calibrate for the rest of the PCs.

The first step in any DM/player conflict is talking to each other. It seems he talked to you about what he's looking for. Talk back to him about why you're trying to make characters tougher and tougher.
I usually build my character to fill the spot open in the group, which right now is a front line tank. In 13 lvls I've had 3 fighters, a dragon shaman, a melee wizard, a Beguiler, and most recently a psi warrior.

His idea of OP toons are toons stronger than the rest of the party or stronger than wizards...(this is just my opinionated impression)

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
any screw ups and your character dies(pretty sure he gets a kick from killing someone.) . . . I've started scaling my optimizations of characters making them more durable and survivable.

So, your DM is trying to kill your characters...problem one. Problem two: you think there's something you can do to stop him.

Problem three: auto-correct?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
His idea of OP toons are toons stronger than the rest of the party or stronger than wizards...(this is just my opinionated impression)

I'd agree with the idea that one character significantly more powerful then other PCs aren't fun for the other players.

Heck, as a player I've intentionally de-tuned characters that were too good to better match a party so everyone has had fun.

That said, the time it seems acceptable to have a character that's just way better put together than everyone else is if they are a support/buffer type. (Or a defender to some degree.) Someone who excels at their niche - but their niche is to give everyone else a chance to be cooler.

Godlycomplex

First Post
I'd agree with the idea that one character significantly more powerful then other PCs aren't fun for the other players.

Heck, as a player I've intentionally de-tuned characters that were too good to better match a party so everyone has had fun.

That said, the time it seems acceptable to have a character that's just way better put together than everyone else is if they are a support/buffer type. (Or a defender to some degree.) Someone who excels at their niche - but their niche is to give everyone else a chance to be cooler.
I totally agree with this. However out of 5 PCs I'm there only one repeatedly dieing...simply the nature of the beast when I'm the only melee toon. However I don't think it's fair that I'm only one remaking toons and having to start all over every time. Thus I was making characters stronger and stronger.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I totally agree with this. However out of 5 PCs I'm there only one repeatedly dieing...simply the nature of the beast when I'm the only melee toon. However I don't think it's fair that I'm only one remaking toons and having to start all over every time. Thus I was making characters stronger and stronger.

Tell your DM that. That you want to play a more powerful character because you're the only one willing to play melee and what he throws keeps killing your characters.

That said, some of these look more powerful in terms of "kill things quicker" - which while a perfectly valid "defense" hits into that stealing spotlight from others. If you make a supremely survivable character with just above average offense it can both keep you alive and give everyone a chance to shine.

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
You're clearly the designated red shirt for your party. From a roleplaying perspective, you need to embrace that.

Each of your characters should wear a red tabard and choose a suitable epithet, like "Steve the Twice-Martyred" or "Phil the Temporary". Your shield should be emblazoned with a target symbol and you should bleat like a sheep when charging into battle. Above all, try to create a character that you won't get invested in.

After the third or fourth incarnation of "Stan the Soon-Sacrificed", your clueless DM may eventually get the hint that you're not happy, which in turn should trigger a conversation. If not, you should probably try to find a different group to play with!

TLDR: Talk to your DM and explain your frustration. If he is unwilling to make changes, find a new group to play with.

Last edited:

Remove ads