• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My group needs a system!

tuxedoraptor

First Post
We are attempting to branch out a bit and try new systems, I am the gamemaster and I have a few small rules:1. The core rules MUST be online for freethis is because I do not have any money and I don't want to buy something that I will use for about thirty minutes and never touch again2. the system must not be like FATEI looked at the fate system at request of one of my players and immediately wanted to hit him with a heavy object, the system had no structure or solid rules and that for me is a thing that a system must have as I like being able to just look at something and say no. FATE in my opinion is a horrible system and would never be run at my table.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"I want something fun, but I want it for free," is a pretty hard thing to work with.

ccs

41st lv DM
Well, 1st decide what type of game you want to run genre wise.

Then search for systems that cover that genre.

Then search for specific rule sets.

As for being free? What's your opinion on piracy?

kalil

Explorer
WOIN has an SRD. You need a core book to read the rules, but you can use the SRD for players and as reference. Mid-cruncy traditional rpg, should suit you tastes.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
OpenD6 is free. MiniSix is free. Fate is free(ish). Labyrinth Lord is free(ish).
Mainly, I'm reading you want a lot from a system you want to give nothing for, and absolutely refuse a system built to be just that and modify to you and your table's every wish. Calling Fate horrible seems to be a general reaction from d20 lifers who can't wrap their head around the abstract and different presentation of a system. Get in a Fate game being ran by a solid GM before closing the door on the unknown.

There are a ton of quickstart rules for games as well. Check that out and then save up to buy a good game and support our hobby.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And remember that folks who produce games work in the RPG industry. Whatever job you have, it probably pays more than they get. :)

tuxedoraptor

First Post
my job is a failing/barely passing highschool student, my opinion on piracy is that I do not use illegal methods unless thats the only method. I will never take part in a game of fate, I dispise the idea of nonstructured gaming to the very core and this thread is kinda over, I kinda didn't think it through, I honestly was looking for just some ideas. We use mutants and masterminds for the stuff we normally don't do. Savage worlds was a no go by my group, I was okay with it, but they shot it down. So no, nothing here will help, sorry. They don't really have a favorite genre but I am always hunting for dieselpunk/dieseldog systems as they are really difficult to find.

games my group has shot down:
shadowrun (before I even had the chance to try it)
WOIN (probably going to grab the books and try again)
WoW RPG(neat idea, but kinda fell off after a while)
Pathfinder(I personally beat this one into the ground after I got 5E, great lore and setting, garbage rules and balance)

Games my group likes:
5E
M&M 1E
CoC

I think thats all that they as a whole will let me run no matter what. I may be the gamemaster but I let my players choose the system and help me build the setting so we are all on the same field.

Remove ads