• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My "House Rules"

bret

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Training Time: One week per rank gained for a skill, or two weeks for a feat. A character may work on two skills or feats at once, paying separately for each.

That would make the normal training times rather unfair.

Fighter: 1 feat, 2 skills: 4 weeks
Cleric, Sorcerer: 0 feats, 2 skills: 2 weeks
Rogue: 0 feats, 8 skills: 8 weeks
Wizard: 0 feats, 4-6 skills: 4-6 weeks

The rogue will take the longest time for training, followed by the Wizard. The sorcerer or cleric will take the least training time.

I really don't think this works right.

Edit: fix formatting.

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
I know you didn't write up the rule, but if you're challanging the players equally at all levels, why do you need more hero points the higher level you are? You should be facing death as often at 3rd level as you are at 15th. I think it should be a static number - like 5 per level.

My players wouldn't like hero points because it implies that their characters have some sort of inherent advantage over most people in the world. They would think a characters actions, courage, and tenacity should be all that makes them different from Joe Soldier and Apprentice Bob.

But if your players like it, use it.

Sacred Cow

First Post
kreynolds said:

I'm about to get rid of attacks, period! ;)

There's a precedent. It would be like an old Scooby Doo episode. You can't hit anyone, so you just run around, changing rooms back in forth along a long hallway until someone gets confused and the other person escapes.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Re: Re: My "House Rules"

bret said:

That would make the normal training times rather unfair.

Fighter: 1 feat, 2 skills: 4 weeks
Cleric, Sorcerer: 0 feats, 2 skills: 2 weeks
Rogue: 0 feats, 8 skills: 8 weeks
Wizard: 0 feats, 4-6 skills: 4-6 weeks

The rogue will take the longest time for training, followed by the Wizard. The sorcerer or cleric will take the least training time.

I really don't think this works right.

Perhaps reduce training time based on INT?

MerakSpielman

First Post
Sacred Cow said:

There's a precedent. It would be like an old Scooby Doo episode. You can't hit anyone, so you just run around, changing rooms back in forth along a long hallway until someone gets confused and the other person escapes.

:eek:
The Scooby Doo D20 game!!!!!! Noooooo!!!!!
:eek:

Last edited:

Mr Fidgit

First Post
(i'm pretty sure all 'living' RPGA game use 75% hit points)

kreynolds said:
Doesn't Living Greyhawk use 75% of maximum? Hmm...dunno. Well...here's my list of house rules. Let me know if you find them useful. :)

1) One arrow on person at all times. No more.
2) No 5-foot steps.
3) Three partial actions make a full-round action.
4) A full-round action is 7 seconds, not 6.
5) A Wish or Miracle spell can grant any of the following with a single casting: 10 feats, +5 to BAB, a template that does not actually modify your ECL.
6) Mind Blank protects against everything, even fireball.
7) Mirror Image can be used to create a dancing chorus line that forces your victims to roll 5d100. A result of 2 or higher means that your victim can't attack you that round, that you can flank them with a +25 bonus to attacks, they lose their Dex bonus, suffer a circumstance penalty to AC equal to 8x the number of images you have.
8) Drawing an item from a HHH is a full-day action, unless you know exactly what pocket the item is in, in which case it's a full-day action minus 2 full rounds, which is 14 seconds, not 12.
9) You can sneak attack only once per round (the rogue is broken).
10) Fighters get 2 bonus feats every level (the fighter is broken).
11) The Ranger's favored enemy bonus is multiplied by 5, applies to attack rolls too, and can harm even creatures immune to critical hits, and there is no range limit, and finally, they get a bonus feat every other level (the ranger is broken).
12) Sorcerers can cast twice as many spells per day as shown in the PH (the sorcerer is broken).
13) Wizards can't cast spells at all (the wizard is broken).
14) Clerics get a d2 for hit die (the cleric is broken).
15) Paladins aren't changed at all (the paladin is perfect).
16) Druids can no longer wild shape (it's a stupid ability).

and finally

17) The bard is no longer an available class (they suck anyway).

YMMV.

haven't we seen this list before, k? :D

hey Joe!

i'm curious about your rules about training and exposure to feats and skills before taking them (because we've tryed this in a game i was playing in once)

if a player told you, before the game started, when the PCs were created, that they wanted to take a particular feat later, would you let them (with no downtime for training)? for example, someone creates a halfling rogue, takes improved initiative as their 1st level feat, and tells you, 'i'd like to take quick draw as my 3rd level feat', would you let them? (on the basis they'd already trained for it)

also, if a PC wanted to multi-class later in their career (after second level), but they told you this during character creation, would they have to take time for the training before multi-classing, or would it be ruled that they already had the training and they could automatically multi-class?

(and - how does racial favored class work into all of that?)

just curious :)

Remove ads