• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Paladin Needs Your Help!

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
On pulling out the sheet,... he's not that bad, I think I lost my girdle of giant strength, and am a crappy roller... I think I've gotten a lot of good ideas from here.

He is human.
I forgot my mounted combat feat, which I never use... I hardly ever pull out the mount inn combat, but it is tied in with a lot of our plots.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
Charwoman Gene said:
He is human.
I forgot my mounted combat feat, which I never use... I hardly ever pull out the mount inn combat, but it is tied in with a lot of our plots.

You really need to start pulling out your mount all the time and get that Ride skill up. I didn't realize until playing a paladin just how powerful a class ability the mount is.

The mount gives you incredible mobility on the battlefield, and when you charge with a lance while mounted all of your damage is doubled! If you have the Spirited Charge feat, your damage is tripled. Say that you charge with a lance while power attacking for a modest 5 and smiting, while using Spirited Charge.

That's 1d8 + 15 (strength bonus) +45 (smite) + 15 (power attack) = 1d8 + 75. On one attack. And that's just for a plain old ordinary lance. Using a modest magical lance (say +2) and that's another +6 damage. Have Divine Favor active, and you're talking another +3. Any source of additional damage is hideously magnified.

A good charging paladin build can open a battle with a truly impressive bang.

I'd suggest:

Power Attack (keep)
Cleave (keep)
Mounted COmbat (keep)
Great Cleave (Change for Ride-by attack)
Divine Might (keep)
Weapon Focus (Longsword) (keep)
15th level feat (take spirited charge)

And that's just the damage side. Remember battlefield mobility? A warhorse has a base speed of 50. Being your mount gets it +10 for 60. Get the (only 6000 gp) Horseshoes of a Zephyr, and you can charge across even unstable or broken ground. Don't want to stay in close to an enemy? Use Ride-By attack to smack him with your lance without pausing to take a full attack.

Also, little known fact, but warhorses have Scent and can allow you to locate invisible enemies.

Mounted Combat is the way.

MadWand

First Post
I agree, mounted combat is a great way of dealing out fantastic damage. It won't work well in a closed-in dungeon environment, but if you have any room to maneuver at all, you are one of the deadliest fighters possible at your level. My preferred build for this is Fighter 2/Paladin 5/Hospitaler 1/Cavalier 7. Feats: Power attack, cleave, mounted combat, ride-by attack, Spirited Charge, Weapon focus: Lance, Improved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper, Divine Might, Extra Smiting. You should easily be capable of 150+ points of damage on a hit, or more, depending on spells you cast, buffs, and magic items. Due to Shock Trooper + Smiting, you probably won't miss often, either. I have a character just like this and he is extremely effective. Remember that you can use the lance two-handed when you aren't on a mount! For a shield, use either an animated shield or a buckler. Charge + power attack + shock trooper + 2-handed lance means enemies die, quickly.

Good luck!

pawsplay

Hero
Even in a dungeon, mounts are handy. Warhorses have pretty good attacks, and they can be great for restricting an enemy's mobility.

mvincent

Explorer
pawsplay said:
Even in a dungeon, mounts are handy. Warhorses have pretty good attacks, and they can be great for restricting an enemy's mobility.
A winged mount can avoid most of the hindrances from charging. Combine this with spirited charge, lance, smite, power-attack and a ring of spell-storing (loaded with true-strike), and your Paladin can do hundreds of points of damage on a single hit, with almost no chance of missing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads