my planescape game

Arctic Wolf

First Post
Aww, I am kind of disappointed there was no fight, but it should be interesting to see what the PCs do with how you plan to slowly involve everything. That does sound interesting with the Belief Points, and if I may throw my hat into the ring, the most basic thing I could think of was using a BP and maybe rolling a skill check or use a BP to further enhance a ritual (assuming they have them in there). Can't wait to see whatcha come up with :)

Quickleaf

Legend
Aww, I am kind of disappointed there was no fight, but it should be interesting to see what the PCs do with how you plan to slowly involve everything. That does sound interesting with the Belief Points, and if I may throw my hat into the ring, the most basic thing I could think of was using a BP and maybe rolling a skill check or use a BP to further enhance a ritual (assuming they have them in there). Can't wait to see whatcha come up with :)
Actually our group has two ritual casters so that's a good idea!

When the PCs return to Sigil to meet Karadja I intend to introduce the concept of belief points thru a bit of philosophical discussion she'll have with the PCs. Then each player can choose whether they just want to use action points as is, or if they want to use the belief point system.

The belief point system is really basic. The player chooses 1-4 beliefs that their PC holds. Whenever the PC does something in line with one of their beliefs that has a great personal cost associated with it, they gain a belief point. Unlike action points, sleeping and milestones don't give you belief points; you only get them by performing great deeds. However you can do some really powerful stuff with belief points...

Use it as an action point
Gain an auto-success on a roll
Boost a ritual (fast cast, no component cost, improvise/augment)
Gain an intuitive clue
"Belief shapes the planes" (metaphysical & geographic changes)

Quickleaf

Legend
I mentioned a planar flowchart I was using as a "sandbox map" of sorts. Here's my big overview of sites that have quests the PCs are likely to pursue.

psflowchart.png

This is an early version of my DM mind tangle, but it's been very helpful as a visual reference of just where the PCs might go from where they are.

Arctic Wolf

First Post
o_O That doesn't look complex at all :hmm:. Aside from that, it seems like a really good aid to help you with the PCs. Have you had any games since you last posted?

Quickleaf

Legend
o_O That doesn't look complex at all :hmm:. Aside from that, it seems like a really good aid to help you with the PCs. Have you had any games since you last posted?
This group won't meet again til the 17th, that's just how everyone's schedules worked out. I play in my friend's Mystara campaign the week before though. At some it would be fun to do a crossover since we have 3 DMs (including me) in our group.

EDIT: As more of a reminder to myself, I just realized an old lampshade wireframe (the part fabric is stretched over) would make a great frame for making a planar orrery model!

Last edited:

D'karr

Adventurer
Everything I've read above sounds fantastic. I've never been a big fan of planescape, but your games are making it much more enjoyable.

Quickleaf

Legend
Everything I've read above sounds fantastic. I've never been a big fan of planescape, but your games are making it much more enjoyable.
Wow, thanks very much. :)

I tried to strip out obstacles to understanding the setting for players unfamiliar with setting (e.g. Copious use of the cant), while retaining the essence of Planescape's sense of wonder, jaded wordliness, and power of belief.

Quickleaf

Legend
While prepping for our next game and working on maps, I realized the Great Foundry could be the PCs next stomping ground. I also realized I had no dungeon tiles or maps suitable for a foundry.

Time for a DIY project!

2 hours later (with the help of Torstan's excellent dungeon tile set), I have a serviceable foundry map!

GreatFoundry.png

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
In our last game the party used the Clockwork Labyrinth to return to the sewers of Sigil, retrieve their portal gate coins, and do some footwork. It was very much an interlude section as they prepare for a trip to the Beastlands in search of a ritual that can revive someone from death (no matter how long they've been dead, no matter what condition the body). The ritual is known be the Horned Lord Cerunnos, master of the Wild Hunt.

Some fun snippets from the game...

When leaving Mechanus via the Clockwork Labyrinth there was a rain of springs, oil, and bolts which the Minotaur monk avoided by leaping off the edge of the cog and holding on to the underside. The modron artificer deduced a puzzle to repair the labyrinth (and thereby it's portals), and the halfling rogue used his roguery skills to get the gears working again. Once again the rogue modron managed to escape The Law - this time, however, he was branded with a "return to Regulus courts for judgment in 37 days" badge.

EDIT: I have Jon Roberts' great map to thank for bringing the clockwork labyrinth to life...
84123.jpg

Oh and the pixie's and modron's fascination with the clockwork gargoyle toys continues. A funny moment when they learned to activate it required feeding it... a feather.

"Well it makes sense. Gargoyles eat pigeons."
"Yeah they compete for the same habitat practically."
Good times :p

Back in Sigil the pixie cavalier & wilden Druid met with the group's benefactor Karadja (who they now have questions about), and got information about their new quest and a new portal to the Beastlands - a well in the courtyard in the back of a butcher's shop where he keeps goats, the gate key is chewing cud.:]

They've got supplies, portal info, a book on the Beastlands, and some truffles of animalistic polymorphing. Next session: the Wild Hunt!

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Taking advantage of some free time, I was jotting notes for next session.

The PCs are in search of this ritual kept by the Wild Hunt; their benefactor had already sent the werewolf Gwyrach to find it, but Gwyrach was supposed to have returned within a day. They fear the werewolves may have succumbed to their animal natures or been killed by the Wild Hunt. So there's the possibility for a "rescue mission".

Looking at the Beastlands layout - 3 layers of eternal day, dusk, and night respectively - it makes no sense for natural creatures. In 2e and 3e the Beastlands were structured like this...

outer.beastlands.jpg

I'm thinking the layers are more allegorical descriptions, but I'm also entertaining the idea that the Beastlands' geography actually changes according to the time of day. Im writing up random encounter tables preparing for a bit of wilderness exploration between the two plot encounters I have planned (trail of the savage werewolves & the Wild Hunt). So I need to figure out how to structure the random encounter table if I go with the " 3 layer cake over the course of 1 day " idea.

Last edited:

Remove ads