my planescape game

Quickleaf

Legend
Since the PCs are basically tracking the werewolves and Wild Hunt, I'm thinking a hybrid exploration/encounter table/linear approach is best. The structure of the adventure will be something like...

1. Enter Beastlands via portal and investigate ruined hunter's camp
2. Decide which way to pursue divided tracks (or to shortcut over mountains)
3. Roll on encounters table
4. "Rescue" werewolves (optional)
5. Decide which way to pursue the Wild Hunt
6. Roll on encounters table
7. Face the Wild Hunt

For the final encounter I've already posted stat blocks and ideas: http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-4th-edition-discussion/315768-feedback-wild-hunt-monster.html. I've figured out that the purpose the Wild Hunt has on the Beastlands is that they seek to capture Nic'Epona mounts. The Nic'Epona are magical mares able to planewalk at-will and gallop over any surface; they mate with stallions on the Beastlands every year. The PCs will have the option to intervene in the supernatural wrangling.

I'll post the encounter table in a bit.

I could use help coming up with interesting "which path do we take?" choices the PCs can face while traversing the majestic wilderness.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Beastlands Encounter Table

1. Wolf Warden - a pack of wolves demand PCs turn back, mistaking them for hunters

2. Bear Companion & Druid - a Druid misused their bear companion in life and now that both are dead there's a bond chaining them to what once was

3. Swanmay - a sorrowful swanmay had her swan shawl taken by prime hunters, she subtly attempts to geas a charismatic male PC into retrieving it

4. Remains of a Naturalist - tattered sketchbook of a Signer named Iona of fabulous creatures like a cross between a lion and wyvern, or owl and bear; a liondrake lurks nearby

5. Living Storm - an angry mortai (living cloud) assails PCs, why's it really upset?

6. Hyena & Dying Baku - a dying elephant-like spirit is harassed by hyena with bad jokes, Baku needs to reach it's ancestoral burial ground in Outlands, hyena offer a riddling contest for the Baku

7. White Stag - calls PCs on a chase into the woods, if successful gain commune with nature, if failing get off course

8. Centaurs & Hunter - centaurs have captured a scared but devious prime hunter who attempts to sow discord

9. Verdant Guild Rangers - trio of elven rangers suffering madness from close contact with Wild Hunt, they need to be deterred from suicidal quest

10. Lost Ghost Horse - mount of one of the wild huntsman separated from the Hunt, can be helpful or harmful depending on PCs' approach

Quickleaf

Legend
Last thing I wanted to post in way of prep is I'm thinking of emphasizing the "primal changes" the Beastlands induces in visitors. If you're unfamiliar, in the 2e Planes of Conflict box it described how visitors adopted animal traits and their "wild side" could come out (fast for chaotics, slow for lawfuls); there wasn't any rules effect of this, it was just a feature of the plane.

I'd like something that is also a bit psychological as one adopts the mindset of an indigenous person, Druid, lumberjack, etc. For inspiration on how to handle this rules-wise I'm looking to mechanics over here: The Gray Languor Stormin' Da Castle, which uses the idea of horizon (timer) to deter excessive resting developed over here: Don’t Rest Here : Menace and the Horizon

My version for the Beastlands is the "Urge." Essentially there are 3 stages of "Urge" the party can go thru (with some kind of differentiation for individuals), each progressively moving the PCs to casting aside the trappings of civilization and "going native". Certain things the PCs do can increase/decrease the Urge, though extended rests definitely will increase it. And it's not meant to be a game-ender if the PCs give into the "Urge", more of a game-changer.

I'm also bearing in mind that the Beastlands is essentially an Upper Plane, savage and wild at times, but good aligned. So the "Urge" won't turn PCs against each other or cause them to commit evil acts.

If anyone has ideas I'd love feedback!

Quickleaf

Legend
Would anyone like to critique this adventure for me? I would be very grateful :angel:

I've attached it as a PDF, with areas I'm still working on in red. It should last us for the next 2, maybe 3, sessions.

Attachments

• Beastlands.pdf
    224.6 KB · Views: 254

Arctic Wolf

First Post
I looked over it (just did a quick read) and it seems perfect to be quite honest xD. I really can't think of anything else to say lol but good luck when it comes to running it :)

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks [MENTION=6686199]Arctic Wolf[/MENTION]

I just got Hexographer Pro - fun program!

Cranked out a map for my upcoming adventure in just over an hour. It's not a hex crawl, but doing it as a hex map helps with calculating overland travel which will play a big part in the adventure.

Beastlandsmap-1.png

Quickleaf

Legend
Looks awesome :D I need to download that:lol:

Well it's free to use online (with slightly limited features), but until March 4th there's an extra 20% discount which brought the pricetag below $20. Just enter "March4" in the discount field. It's a nice treat to myself for GM's day since we don't play till later this month.

Remove ads