my planescape game

Quickleaf

Legend
We've got a long dry spell from our game, and I realized I never posted my rough stat block for the Hollow Woman. The PCs are still on fence about whether she is their enemy, but they're mostly convinced she is insanely powerful, and only the rogue modron is itching to fight her (everyone else is apprehensive about taking her on). However, that could change at any moment.

I statted the Hollow Woman up as a level 10 solo, though I'm considering the 3-phase boss model. This is a rough draft, and I could use feedback. :)

Does she need a stronger ability to shake off conditions and action denial?
Does she need more multi-attacking capability?

hollowwomanstatblock.png

For a visual reference, I picked this image from Rackham's defunct AT-43 line...
omegatiamat.png

Arctic Wolf

First Post
I think the mutli attacking is ok, maybe make the Mechanus Cannon do a blast 5 or at least a burst 1 when it hits the target. Because when I think of cannons, I think of explosions xD lol.

For action denial I have three options for Energy Draining Gaze: 1st is when it hits, have it remove one effect or let you roll a saving throw; 2nd everytime they fail a saving throw, let her auto save against a condition or roll a saving throw; 3rd let her transfer a condition to the person who fails a saving throw. To me all these seem like viable options so choose which one you like. Good luck ! :)

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks for the feedback. With the 3-phases you originally proposed I would have her use just Energy Missile during the 1st phase when the PCs would ascend the Orrery. I'm thinking of adding onto Energy Missile "If the target manages to move or teleport thru a power while so immobilized they take a further 10 damage." The 2nd phase would be melee combat. And the 3rd phase would be her trying to escape using the Orrery once she's bloodied or perhaps at 1/3 HP - I might need to adapt her stat block for more of a skirmishing running battle 3rd phase.

I think the mutli attacking is ok, maybe make the Mechanus Cannon do a blast 5 or at least a burst 1 when it hits the target. Because when I think of cannons, I think of explosions xD lol.
Heh. The Mechanus Cannon is a spell from Planescape: Torment; actually YouTube has videos of it which I would post but I am accessing Internet from my iPhone at the moment and i havent figured out how to copy the YouTube address of a video from Safari.

For action denial I have three options for Energy Draining Gaze: 1st is when it hits, have it remove one effect or let you roll a saving throw; 2nd everytime they fail a saving throw, let her auto save against a condition or roll a saving throw; 3rd let her transfer a condition to the person who fails a saving throw. To me all these seem like viable options so choose which one you like. Good luck ! :)
So you'd make Energy Draining Gaze virtually identical to Psychic Surgery? I must not be following you...

Arctic Wolf

First Post
Sorry I guess when I was typing, I forgot what Psychic Surgery did so forget that transfer statement, although you could make it that when she transfers an effect, she can roll a saving throw for another effect or gain a +1 bonus to the next saving throw she makes. Kinda different but would be interesting.

On a sidenote, are you going to allow multiple people to be under Psychic Surgery? Maybe you could add an immediate reaction to allow her to transfer effects from one target to another or end the effect and immbolize the target or something like that.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
On a sidenote, are you going to allow multiple people to be under Psychic Surgery? Maybe you could add an immediate reaction to allow her to transfer effects from one target to another or end the effect and immbolize the target or something like that.
Yes! Brilliant idea thanks :)

The Hollow Woman ties in as a nice counterpoint to the party's rogue modron who was a combat field surgeon. I've portrayed her as a pariah of her people and a nemesis of modrons, experimenting on them and grafting modron parts onto her warriors. When they negotiated with her before she spoke to each PC using their own voices/personalities, so mimicry is how she relates to "lesser mortals." Hmm...Maybe I can incorporate that into a weakness somehow?

She wants to ease Karadja's suffering (the PCs' fey benefactor), and to do so plans to extract Karadja's heart as the capstone component of her Frankenstein "Celestron." Their current deal with the Hollow Woman is that they'll spy on Karadja and report back on her passions and plans.

Last edited:

Arctic Wolf

First Post
The Hollow Woman ties in as a nice counterpoint to the party's rogue modron who was a combat field surgeon. I've portrayed her as a pariah of her people and a nemesis of modrons, experimenting on them and grafting modron parts onto her warriors. When they negotiated with her before she spoke to each PC using their own voices/personalities, so mimicry is how she relates to "lesser mortals." Hmm...Maybe I can incorporate that into a weakness somehow?

How about when she steals a memory or emotion from a target with her Pincers she is linked to that PC. The PC can try to do a grab check and/or maybe a charisma check(?) to see if he can instead *dominate* her personality and if he succeeds, he gains some of her power or something? This way the PCs have to deal with her traits, but the risk might be worth it. :lol:

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Tremorsense typically has a range... as well, I'm not sure how it fits the character concept.

As for psychic surgery, IMHO it doesn't make sense for it to allow her to make melee attacks from the targets square - perhaps restrict it to ranged & burst attacks?

Quickleaf

Legend
Tremorsense typically has a range... as well, I'm not sure how it fits the character concept.
She's wired up to this mechanical system that makes her akin to a spider on a web while within her demesnes. Does that make sense? I'm not sure what range to put, my first thought was anywhere someone touches the Planar Orrery she has tremorsense to.

As for psychic surgery, IMHO it doesn't make sense for it to allow her to make melee attacks from the targets square - perhaps restrict it to ranged & burst attacks?
Yes that's my intention, I just didn't explicitly lay it out. My mistake. :)

Quickleaf

Legend
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the campaign will go much further. Scheduling continues to be an issue and 2 players will be in China the entire summer. That would leave 2 players and an off/on player, plus me the DM... But I'm not sure it will be enough to hang together. Everyone's schedules just aren't lining up, and it feels like I've been making quite an effort to herd cats. Hopefully we can all meet for a wrap-up session (I have no idea how I'd run that), but this might be the day a campain dies.

Ah well, that's life.

Nyronus

First Post
Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the campaign will go much further. Scheduling continues to be an issue and 2 players will be in China the entire summer. That would leave 2 players and an off/on player, plus me the DM... But I'm not sure it will be enough to hang together. Everyone's schedules just aren't lining up, and it feels like I've been making quite an effort to herd cats. Hopefully we can all meet for a wrap-up session (I have no idea how I'd run that), but this might be the day a campain dies.

Ah well, that's life.

Shame really. Looked like this could have been a good run.

Remove ads