• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Return to 4th Edition

DM Howard

Explorer
My reasons for having problems with 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons were varied; it seemed, but never anything that I could pin down. I eventually came to the conclusion that I didn’t enjoy how “powered up” the characters seemed to be and how nothing seemed to threaten them at all. I didn’t enjoy the shopping mall feel of magic items and how they felt necessary to not mess up the mechanics of the game. Suffice it to say I left 4th Edition and would not DM any 4th Edition games and my group slowly started to come around to my way of thinking. We moved on to other systems such as Pathfinder and Fantasycraft.

I read this quoted on the forums here and I’ll repost it for the sake of the discussion:

Dear WD,
I read the article Combat and Armour Class by Roger Musson with considerable dismay. I t appears that the good gentleman does not know what D&D and is all about. Dungeons & Dragons is a fantasy game, of course, and this most reasonably indicates that statements regarding "realism" in a game must go out the window. (Quite frankly, there is no game with any true realism in it, or i t would be real and not a game. Folks seeking realism should go and participate in whatever the game is based on, if possible, viz. if they are looking for realism in wargames they should enlist in the military service.) I t got worse thereafter. D&D is a HEROIC fantasy game. Who can slit Conan's throat at a blow? The examples are too numerous to mention, but the point is that the game is aimed at allowing participants t o create a heroic character who is not subject to some fluke. Getting killed requires a lot of (mis-)play in most cases. How does the fighter escape the dragon's breath? The same way other superheroes do - bending a link of chain or slipping into an unnoticed crevass in the rock he was chained t o or whatever, i.e. the same way all other larger-than- life sword & sorcery heroes manage t o avoid certain death. In summation, most players find that the game of seeking and gaining, with the ensuing increase in character capability is the thing. Combat at best is something t o be done quickly so as t o get on with the fun, and I T MUST NOT BE LOADED SO AS TO GIVE PLAYERS NO CHANCE TO ESCAPE I F I T IS GOING AGAINST THEM. Neither, of course, must i t be a walkover. (And Conan is usually in a shirt of mail in battle!) Enough said.
Best Wishes, E. Gary Gygax, Lake Geneva,-USA.

The other day after reading this I came to the conclusion that 4th Edition was allowing for exactly what Gygax is talking about in this thread; to allow the PCs to be heroic in every sense of the word. No, not every setting or game of 4th Edition needs to be heroic, but it allows for it in a very well thought out way.

Yes, characters are hard to kill, but isn’t that the point? After all isn’t D&D about coming together to tell a story of heroes, villains, monsters, magic, and intrigue? The DM can still threaten the PCs mechanically, but the PCs must be threatened as individuals as well.

Perhaps the Dungeon Master’s Guide does not go into a whole lot of detail on this point and how to go about it, but maybe that’s part of the adventure, at least for the DM; finding where, who, or what the party’s weak spot is, either mechanically, or through the characters associations and/or character flaws.

Magic items used to bug me in how prevalent they seemed to be and how tied to the system they were, but on retrospect isn’t that part of the fun of Dungeons and Dragons? Having the party Open up that chest, discovering the thieves’ hidden cache, or finally defeating the arch villain and ransacking his fortress for new and more powerful equipment. I’m not bugged by the prevalence of magic items as much as I once was and now find them an integral part of my both mechanically and in the story.
Character powers never thrilled me either, until I realized that they are there to make it easier to do heroic things and to advance the story/and/or combat in an interesting and, as already stated, altogether heroic way. The same goes for rituals and perhaps I never found them useful because I never looked for interesting ways to use them.

In short I’ve found that I’ve come to respect and enjoy 4th Edition D&D all the more after a hiatus from it, and will be the one system that I will enjoy DMing and playing in the most. All I’ve said has been my own opinions of course and everyone has their own play style, but I believe that more play styles can be applied in 4th Edition than any other edition.

Dndungeoneer

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
When I said 4E finally got it right in the other thread, I was kinda jocking. But only kinda. :angel:

As for DMing 4E...there are so many advantages. Current monsters, as per monster vault, allow you to really bring the hurt on the party. Monster guidelines also allow for e-z customization, and make it simple to reskin one monster as something else.

Current magic item rules also put control of many items back in the hand of the DM. And there are only really three "key" items for each player: armor, weapon/implement, and the neck item. The rest is gravy.

The Rules compendium is a good resource, but once you get the hang of it, you won't to use it very often.

Not a perfect game, but a very good one to DM for.

Edit: and if you subscribe to DDI, there is the compendium...great resource.

Kinneus

Explorer
My reasons for having problems with 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons were varied; it seemed, but never anything that I could pin down. I eventually came to the conclusion that I didn’t enjoy how “powered up” the characters seemed to be and how nothing seemed to threaten them at all. I didn’t enjoy the shopping mall feel of magic items and how they felt necessary to not mess up the mechanics of the game.
Not to diminish your beautiful post, but I think those are legitimate concerns... and what's better, they've been addressed since your absence.

Early 4e monsters were pretty severely under-powered. Basically, their defenses and hitpoints were too high, while their damage was much too low. This lead to the impression that 4e was "less harsh" than previous editions, and PCs generally seeming to die less often. Instead, they'd just sort of stand there and slash away at this giant block of HP with their At-Will powers.

They caught on to this issue around Monster Manual 3, leading them to reduce HP and defenses across the board, but to seriously upgrade monster damage. This lead to swifter, 'swingier' and (in my opinion) more exciting combats.

To make things even crazier, they brought back the awesome Dark Sun setting. Dark Sun has a reputation for harshness, and 4e upholds that reputation. I speak from experience; I'm currently playing in a Dark Sun campaign. I've played for about five or six sessions with this group... and I'm currently on character #3.

They also fairly recently released rules for "inherent bonuses" as an alternate to magic items. You're right; magic items (or specifically 'enhancement bonuses') are necessary to 4e's math. Players used to need a magic weapon, magic armor, and a "neck slot item" (like an amulet of protection or a magic cloak) to keep their to-hit bonuses and defenses in line with expected parameters.

But now, you can opt to use inherent bonuses for your campaign. Those boring +1, +2 bonuses associated with most magic weapons, armor, and amulets? You can now choose to make them inherent in the characters, with the PCs get a +1 or +2 as they level. These bonuses don't stack with magic items; which allows you to either ignore magic items completely (great for a low-magic campaign), or instead to focus on only handling out cool and flavorful magic items instead of the rather boring "magic sword +1".

So... I'm glad you finally came around on high heroic fantasy! It can be a real hoot. But if you get tired of it, and decide you want to try some old-school brutality or low-magic fun... hey, you can do that too!

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
So... I'm glad you finally came around on high heroic fantasy! It can be a real hoot. But if you get tired of it, and decide you want to try some old-school brutality or low-magic fun... hey, you can do that too!
If you want to explore old-school dungeon crawling in 4e, look no further than Fourthcore.

And again as Kinneus pointed out, Inherent Bonuses are the death blow to the "shopping mall" effect for magic items. You simply no longer need them. Combined with judicious use of Boons, another innovation, you can go completely magic-free if you want. Or, if you still desire "special" magic, with some clever houseruling or only using Artifact and Rare items, you can achieve that.

Rituals are another area where a lot of the old-edition flavour can be found. In my opinion, they are very under-utilized.

I know where you're coming from though - I was vehemently against 4e when it came out. I wasn't even going to try it (playing or DMing). What a shame that would have been. I am now a quite vocal supporter of it (though I do still respect prior editions and enjoy them for what they brought to the game).

Welcome back, and happy gaming!

NewJeffCT

First Post
They also fairly recently released rules for "inherent bonuses" as an alternate to magic items. You're right; magic items (or specifically 'enhancement bonuses') are necessary to 4e's math. Players used to need a magic weapon, magic armor, and a "neck slot item" (like an amulet of protection or a magic cloak) to keep their to-hit bonuses and defenses in line with expected parameters.

But now, you can opt to use inherent bonuses for your campaign. Those boring +1, +2 bonuses associated with most magic weapons, armor, and amulets? You can now choose to make them inherent in the characters, with the PCs get a +1 or +2 as they level. These bonuses don't stack with magic items; which allows you to either ignore magic items completely (great for a low-magic campaign), or instead to focus on only handling out cool and flavorful magic items instead of the rather boring "magic sword +1".

Where was this stuff about inherent bonuses? That sounds like something I would be interested in trying.

Back in the old days, the PCs would each end up with one or two "cool" items each (weapon for the fighter, wand for the wizard, etc), and the other items would be a few disposable items (potions of healing) and maybe a ring of protection or something else for protection.

malraux

First Post
Where was this stuff about inherent bonuses? That sounds like something I would be interested in trying.

DMG2. I don't recall the specifics offhand, but the basic gist was at level 3 (or somewhere in there) you get a +1 to all defenses, attack and damage, and similarly every 5 levels thereafter (ie +2 at 8, +3 at 13).

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I will also point out that Dark Sun made an addendum to the Inherent Bonus system, in that for every point of your inherent bonus on your "weapon" or "implement" you gain +1d6 critical damage, just like if it were a basic magic item of that type.

Remove ads