• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mystara: What makes it so great?

Ajax1979

First Post
What makes Mystara special to me is it's a setting that acknowledges and embraces the crazy things players want to do in a magical world. Become a god/immortal? Sure. Build a flying ship shaped like a winged lion? No problem. Rule a country? Play as a troll? Fight an army of 33-HD gargantuan ogres? You can do it all. On top of that most of the world is wilderness and you can play for years in a few hexes in Karameikos.

I love FR and am not putting it down in any way. To me FR says "your character can meet celebrities" while Mystara says "your character can be a celebrity."

Note: I have to force myself to type the word Mystara. For most of the time I've been playing it was just the good old "Known World."

Last edited:

fumetti

First Post
What makes Mystara special to me is it's a setting that acknowledges and embraces the crazy things players want to do in a magical world....

You can do it all.

And isn't that what every DnD edition and campaign should always be about?

If I could keep only one edition and/or campaign setting, I would take BECMI and its "Known World"/Mystara any day.

Remove ads