• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mystic and Artificer now on DM''s Guild. Part of additional playtest process

bmfrosty

Explorer
This is going to dmsguild and AL because that will allow them wider feedback. If this is releasing November 21st, then they only have 3 or 4 months to lock the classes down before the book goes to print.

hastur_nz

First Post
I'm annoyed they released the exact same versions, as I've personally given them a lot of feedback on the Mystic, having played one under v2 and converting it to v3, which is still horribly broken in places (psionic focus, various powers, multiclassing) and also really missing a clear focus on levels 11-20 - it ends up looking very much like a 'jack of all trades, master of none'. It makes me worried they are not prepared to actually go back to the drawing board, and do another big re-write, meaning we'll get a slightly tweaked version of the rubbish that's currently been published (v3 was only a minor change from v2, missing a lot of fixes, and complicating t by screwing up levels 11-20).

gyor

Legend
One idea I had was something for DMGUILD was something that explores where to place Artificers and Mystics in the Forgotten Realms setting. Maybe Ravenloft as well.

Everyone else is focused on the crunch of Artifers and Mystics, so focusing on fluff would stand apart.

Historic Jhaamdath, and slaves of Aberrants, Kara Tur would be the main sources for Psionic Mystic class, and Imaskar and it's successor states (including those of the Mulan), and Lantan for the Artificer class.

Someone should bring back the Crystal-slinging/Ectoplasm using Shaper, it certainly didn't match many peoples expectations on the class, but it was certainly a unique flavour all on it's own.

Thinking about the mention of OA, back in 3e I remember it saw said that in Indian themed campaigns Psions were alternatively called Yogis. And then I realized it's almost possible to recreate a character like Dhalsim, if you replace some of the Corrosive Metabolism damage types with fire...

Moving/Adding Unearthed Arcana to the DMsGuild is a good way to help increase traffic to the site, and this could lead to an increase of pdf sales there.

The discussion threads that can be posted on the product pages also provide a great way to gather even more feedback and possibly communicate with readers.

As a DMsGuild community creator myself, I find this update a very welcome one.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'll bet they didn't want to update them yet to get them out asap. Next update will be AL legal and I bet they wanted to give folks a heads up asap.
Based on Mearls video, that seems a fair bit off.

Maybe this September/October so there's a full season of AL feedback for them to use next spring?

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't want to design something and then have the official version cone out and replace my design. Like working on a buffing artificer that empowers armour or weapons and have that be in the book.
Or have to throw out all my content and completely redesign. Such as if the final version is a 1/2 caster rather than 1/3.
I don't think that's a concern for WotC.

In fact, I think that's the plan - for people like you to create stuff they can later use in the final product.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads