D&D 5E Mystic playtest...ugg this class is all over the place

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I’ve taken to thinking that the overstuffed nature of the class, if not necessarily deliberate, is a sort of natural selection se se of design. The designers have a broad sense of where they can go with the Mystic but want to see where players want to go, so are giving out lots of options within the playtest. However, it seems that many of the builds are “I can do some of everything” rather than “I can do one thing well” (the equivalent of building multiclass characters), creating an image of the Mystic in the mind of the gaming community. That’s not to same that the designers aren’t at fault for not either dividing it up into multiple classes to begin with or else at least creating harder boundaries between what a given character could take along with other powers. I wonder how it would be for more players to artificially limit themselves to specialities (and report how it goes to WotC) among powersets to gauge a different take on the divvying up of powers within the class.

OK, so another game and another weird playtest.

He used energy ray at will 4 times, and 3 times I made the save...even when I had a -2 on my monster I rolled an 18 making his 16DC. So he is very pissed off he said of 16 times in the last few weeks he has used an at will I saved 12 of the times...

He again was our main party healer, and used the buff the other melee combatants with +1d4 damage a few times, and made our fighters sword +3 to hit and damage once... other than that he used +5d10 on his bow twice, once he hit and once he missed. the hit was the single highest damage of the night (second by the round the barbarian dropped 2 crits, but that required 2 attacks and both came up a nat 20.)

over all the powers are still all over the place, but it wasn't super broken or anything.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
In regard to the saves, sometimes that's just how the dice fall. He might feel a little better if this was him making an attack roll, although if he kept missing he might complain about the AC of the targets being too high.

On a side note, energy beam and mind slam talents feel like they should really be attack rolls instead of powers with saving throws.

My first game of 5e - my wife played a cleric with Sacred Flame. I'm not sure it EVER worked. The monsters just had freakish luck when she used that cantrip. That's the risk you take when you use save to neg. spells for damage.

Remove ads