• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Natural Attack questions

D.Shaffer

First Post
A couple wierd questions here.

If I have a Bite attack, and have a weapon in hand (Say a Defending Longsword+2), do I HAVE to use the weapon as the primary attack, or could I choose to use just the bite attack and not have to deal with the -5 penalty.

Would you allow someone to put a weapon augment crystal on a natural attack?

Angerland

First Post
I think if you choose to use the bite attacks a primary attack that round then your sword would be a secondary attack and still get a penalty (if you are trying to attack with both).
That's how our DM would rule it.

Not sure how you would explain adding a crystal to a natural attack when it describes actually adding the crystal to some part of the weapon, i.e the hilt etc...

glass

(he, him)
D.Shaffer said:
If I have a Bite attack, and have a weapon in hand (Say a Defending Longsword+2), do I HAVE to use the weapon as the primary attack, or could I choose to use just the bite attack and not have to deal with the -5 penalty.
If you attack with the bite only (and simply hold the sword without doing anything with it), then the bite is your primary (assuming it would be normally) and you can attack with it without penalty. If you are using a manufacured weapon then it is always primary, and any natural weapons are always secondary.

D.Shaffer said:
Would you allow someone to put a weapon augment crystal on a natural attack?
Is your natural weapon masterwork? :D

glass.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
glass said:
If you attack with the bite only (and simply hold the sword without doing anything with it), then the bite is your primary (assuming it would be normally) and you can attack with it without penalty.

I suspect the next question is "Can I do that, and still benefit from the Defending longsword's bonus to AC?"

-Hyp.

glass

(he, him)
Hypersmurf said:
I suspect the next question is "Can I do that, and still benefit from the Defending longsword's bonus to AC?"
To which the answer is 'depends who is DMing'! :D

glass.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
glass said:
If you attack with the bite only (and simply hold the sword without doing anything with it), then the bite is your primary (assuming it would be normally) and you can attack with it without penalty.

glass.

Actually....depends on if the bite attack is a secondary natural weapon for the character/creature. If it is secondary, you still get a penalty when you use it as your sole attack.

'A creature can use one of its secondary natural weapons when making an attack action, but if it does it takes an attack penalty, as noted in the Full Attack section below.'

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm

glass

(he, him)
Grazzt said:
Actually....depends on if the bite attack is a secondary natural weapon for the character/creature. If it is secondary, you still get a penalty when you use it as your sole attack.
Er, yes. I said:
glass said:
If you attack with the bite only (and simply hold the sword without doing anything with it), then the bite is your primary (assuming it would be normally) and you can attack with it without penalty. If you are using a manufacured weapon then it is always primary, and any natural weapons are always secondary.

glass.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Well, I WAS sort of leading up to that, yes. :D
I have a Totemist who pricipally uses bite attacks. Since he has a free hand anyways (The other's holding a shield) I'd like to get SOME use out of it.

Shadowknight

First Post
Defending: A defending weapon allows the wielder to transfer some or all of the sword’s enhancement bonus to his AC as a bonus that stacks with all others. As a free action, the wielder chooses how to allocate the weapon’s enhancement bonus at the start of his turn before using the weapon, and the effect to AC lasts until his next turn.

I guess it would depend on how the dm interprets the above..

It says you allocate the bonus at the start of your turn, before using the weapon, so does that mean you HAVE to use the weapon?

As a DM, i'd probably allow it, and if you wanted to bite as your main attack, I'd likely allow it too, but I am fairly leniet...

Remove ads