• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nazareth Awakened - Chapter 02: Wives of Solomon

GlassEye

Adventurer
Harper, Thyrsus mage

[section]
The quoted scripture resonates with Harper; it was, still is he presumes, one of his father's favorite passages and Harper heard him quote it often. "...take up the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the spirit..." he mutters enumerating only a few of pieces of the spiritual armor mentioned in Ephesians. With Law's attention still on whatever is up there Harper squints trying to make it out.

[/section]

Rubberneck

First Post
Law will get closer to the ghost so he can make it out better.

"Anything in particular I should ask it?" He says looking back at the others, "I've never really spoken with a ghost before."

TillForPie

First Post
The ghost continues preaching to the group, its voice still barely more than whispers to everyone but Law. The sermon itself is somewhat rambling: Its primary message is one of readiness, that faith is something that must be maintained, and that the world exists in a state of constant spiritual warfare. Though the voice remains labored and faraway, it's easy to hear in it the traces of a breathless and even manic style. It evokes the image of a feverish preacher pacing on the stage or else leaning toward the congregation from over the pulpit.

Law approaches the fallen lectern and looks up at the ghost, naked but for a pair of briefs, with visible tanlines on its forearms. It's in full color and appears as though it is completely solid - an actual body hanging from the rafter. But Law knows that were he to reach out and touch it he would feel nothing but air.

Rubberneck

First Post
Law looks to the others,

"I don't think it's in the cooperative mood. I'm going to try cutting the rope, maybe 'free' it?"

He shrugs his shoulders and reaches to a pocket knife in his jeans. The knife looks police issue sharp blade folded in with serrated edges, the other end has a collapsable point designed to shatter windows at the scene of automobile accidents. He then goes to his jacket, inside he grasps a lead coin. Once again he looks up to the man hanging from the rafters. He focuses hard on the rope and casts Decay Object.

(OOC :: I believe it can be done as long as I'm in sensory range? I think I read that right. Also Ill do whatever it takes to avoid paradox :])

Rubberneck

First Post
While doing so Law will try once again to get some sort of meaningful response from the ghost,

"Do you know what a hallow is? There's one in here somewhere maybe you can help me out?"

TillForPie

First Post
OOC - Yup, all magic can be used at sensory range unless stated otherwise in the spell description.

To Harper and Agnasci it seems as if the shadows of the sanctuary deepen and the traces of a black, smoky aura lick at the air around Law as he once again attempts to use vulgar magic. That queasy feeling of an approaching Paradox once again takes all four of them as it hunts through the room for the source.

Law spends a point of mana and uses his magical tool in the casting of a vulgar spell. Normally this would be enough to completely prevent a Paradox (by reducing the dice pool to -1) but as Law has already used a vulgar spell once this scene the pool gets +1 die. Another chance roll (10% chance) for paradox.[sblock=Paradox roll]Roll: Chance die = no Paradox with 0 successes
There is no Paradox[/sblock][sblock=Spell: Decay]Roll: Death 2 + Gnosis 1 = success with 2 successes
The imago is formed and the spell channeled, but...[/sblock]Law's spell doesn't take hold. He knows he has magic that would allow him to physically interact with beings in Twilight but this spell seems like it would only ever effect material objects. At least now I know.

Law looks up at the ghost, doubtful it'll respond, but asks his question anyway. The dead preacher keeps preaching, the sermon still emphasizing the idea of spiritual warfare. It's looking increasingly unlikely that this shade is sentient enough to be of any assistance.

With regards to the hallow itself, Law was there with Harper when Penrose reminded them that the hallows at the sites they were to check out were dormant and likely wouldn't be detectable by any of the four mages.

Mosier

First Post
Agnasci looks toward the spot where Law is focusing, more than a little jealous that he can't see the spirit, too.

Surprisingly, Agnasci likes this place. It's stripped bare, exposed and corrupted. A reminder that all things eventually fall. Nobody is safe. Nothing is sacred. Anything can change, with enough time and pressure.

"Law, if you can't get anything else from that ghost, we should probably wrap it up here. There are more hallows out there, and its already late."

Rubberneck

First Post
Law nods in agreement.

"Nothings really going on here. The building itself is going to come down with the next strong breeze. The next location might be interesting. I hope the house is vacant. Not sure exactly how far a badge will get me into someone's home."

With that said Law will head for his SUV unless someone has something further they'd like to check out.

"Did we check the side rooms?"

He says as he enters the hall.

TillForPie

First Post
There are six doors in the hall: Two doors marked CLASSROOM immediately after the entrance (on its left and right), followed by MEN'S (to its left) and WOMEN'S (to its right) bathrooms, and finally STORAGE (to its left) and OFFICE (to its right) right before the sanctuary doors. None of the doors have locks.

There's a BEEP BEEP that probably makes a few of the group jump. It's Agnasci's cell phone receiving a text. It's from BR - looks like he's woken up: my man! see you n a week little buddy. A few moments later Agnasci gets another text from BR: btw were having a cookout on wed you should be there mad dog wants to meet you.

Remove ads